• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Force v Tahs, round 9 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
I think Junior is (was) growing in to the role nicely Gaffa. It's obvious the staff see a lot more in him (and Wykes for that matter) than we do.. given the amount of chances they've had. I think KG & Junior building their relationship will pay dividends in the end!

The most impressive thing this year has been our back row. You could slip them in to Wallabies jerseys & they'd do a job for us. Everyone knows how good Hodgo & Benny Mac are, but Cottrell is a farkin animal who's been on the leash for the last two seasons & has now been let loose!
No offense but we have put them in gold and been found wanting. . Like pretty much all our back rowers .. except Poey Hooper and maybe Fardy..

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Bairdy

Peter Fenwicke (45)
No offense but we have put them in gold and been found wanting. . Like pretty much all our back rowers .. except Poey Hooper and maybe Fardy..

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk
Dont forget Mowen, Hoiles, Smith, Finegan etc.

Any Brumbies backrowers I've missed?

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
Dont forget Mowen, Hoiles, Smith, Finegan etc.

Any Brumbies backrowers I've missed?
Mate I said found wanting .....Poey never was found wanting.. Hooper either.. Finagan be first picked for the wobs in his prime..but you as a clown... should know she doesn't play anymore.. but hey win a few games everyone rates to a great maybe champs

Im sorry Benny Mac, Hodgson and Contrell have proved they are goid but you got beat by the Tahs you got beat by the Brumbies. ..

Benny mac I think should be 8 for the wobs the other two have to play better MUCH better then Hooper and Fardy. .

Oh and Hooper plays for the Tahs so its not bias next id pick Gill... but that chip you have just run with it.. hope you come to GIO for the rematch

WFDOM

Frank Row (1)
Benny mac I think should be 8 for the wobs the other two have to play better MUCH better then Hooper and Fardy.

Damn straight Benny Mac should be Wobs 8.

I do think Hodgo's been playing MUCH better than Hooper. I'm not calling for a Wallabies recall, I meant he wouldn't let you down. Can't wait for their match up on Saturday.

Cottrell's the future.....

M

Moono75

The Force have been on a roll this season, breaking club records with each fluky, brave win.

This time the only record I fear the Force will break will be the largest losing margin at home in Super Rugby history.

Come on. Was Haywards game winner fluky? Cooper nailing that final drop goal for the win.....that would have been fluky.

I have said it before on this forum I don't believe we have to bow down before every game and just give it away before the contest has even started. Maybe we should just ring up SANZAR and say we'll forfeit the game now?

The Force have shown this year they play a pretty good defensive game. We gave up 2 try's to the Reds when we had a man in the bin but still came back to win.

Sure we may or may not win this game but it's a hell of an opportunity with the Tahs on the way back from SA.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
Come on. Was Haywards game winner fluky? Cooper nailing that final drop goal for the win...that would have been fluky.

I have said it before on this forum I don't believe we have to bow down before every game and just give it away before the contest has even started. Maybe we should just ring up SANZAR and say we'll forfeit the game now?

The Force have shown this year they play a pretty good defensive game. We gave up 2 try's to the Reds when we had a man in the bin but still came back to win.

Sure we may or may not win this game but it's a hell of an opportunity with the Tahs on the way back from SA.

I agree entirely. This is a real banana skin game for the Tahs and the Force could be top of the Australian comp if they get up and the Reds do too. If the Tahs don't deliver their A game they'll get beat for sure. I said some weeks ago on the forum that this week was the start of an easier run of games for the Tahs; that was wrongly based on the Force form in the early rounds. It's not true any more.

I still think the Tahs will win, their physicality in defence has been an absolute hallmark and I don't think many teams can handle it. But the Force will have a better shot at it than most teams and if the Tahs reproduce their Brumbies/Sharks form then a loss is very likely.

M

Moono75

Looks like both Alofa and Betham will miss the game and a few other Tahs carrying niggles after the trip to the Republic. As much as we don't want to see any injuries to players I'm sure the Force wingers will be happy about not marking Alofa. The Tahs will need Izzy to be up and about this week if he plays. I'm still not sure why he flew all the way to SA if he was that doubtful about playing.

Force will need to consider if Brache is the man to play 13 long term or if they try shuffling. Personally I don't want to see too many disruptions to the current team makeup unless someone is absolutely busting down the doors with form in the local comp or blitzing at training.

Forcefield

Ken Catchpole (46)
Folau is an absolute key for the Tahs. No Folau = kicking for territory and pressuring the Waratahs line-out. It sounded like there are some niggles with Douglas. The line-out is the only target that sticks out for the Tahs. Folau = kicking a very dangerous thing to do. We have a habit of nothing kicks that go directly to the opposition back 3.

I'd be really interested to see how the breakdown goes. We were blown away in Round 2 and we still could be on Saturday. I guess we have to hope we are better conditioned and that the Tahs are tired. Start well and try to come home with a wet sail.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
The Tahs will need Izzy to be up and about this week if he plays. I'm still not sure why he flew all the way to SA if he was that doubtful about playing.

They expected him to play against the Stormers and then decided not to risk it. I believe he was training throughout the week he was in South Africa (just without full contact).

It's a bit of a catch 22. They ended up flying him to South Africa not to play, but it meant he got an extra week training with the team that he wouldn't have had if he sat at home in Sydney training with the fringe members of the squad.

A mutterer

Chilla Wilson (44)
I'm really looking forward to this game.

THIS is the season defining game for the tahs.

I think the 2 games in saffaland will probably serve us well up front. At least I'm hoping the love for getting physical upfront carries over. I'm looking forward to how out ball in hand goes against a bloody stingy defence.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Palu is out again after failing to recover from his ankle injury.

I'll be interested to see if Tala Gray gets a run off the bench this week. Cheika said that all the South African tourists would get a run somewhere across the three games, so it has to be here if that is to remain true.

Bessa

Ted Fahey (11)
Where did you hear about Palu, BH? I can't find anything regarding him being out. (Not that I don;t trust you)

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
When he's not injured, Palu makes a difference to the Tahs (and Wobs), but he seems to spend a little too much time in Team Rehab.

Michael Hooper similarly makes a big difference to the Tahs performance and results but on the other hand he just keeps going and going, and going. It is probably rose coloured glasses and fermented malt impaired memories, but when did he not play a full 80 minute game? I can't recall him being injured in recent memory either. <Turn away Mocker Gods, this is not a challenge. You have had your fun with Bam Bam, now leave us alone.>

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
It is a major change to see the Tahs cutting injured player quite early in the week

It seems the days of fitness tests on the morning of the game are over, until we get desperate that is

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I like the new approach.

It means that largely the team that trains each week is going to be the starting team rather than having a bunch of starters sitting out training and then coming into the team on the weekend.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
to see if Tala Gray gets a run off the bench this week. Cheika said that all the South African tourists would get a run somewhere across the three games, so it has to be here if that is to remain true.

He played well for the Gen Blue team against the Argie Pampas XV but he will have had little rugby since then.

So only a bench spot then instead of…Holies, I'd say.

But when is Kane Douglas going to get a rest, even to the bench?

EatSleepDrinkRuck

Larry Dwyer (12)
Resting Izzy was an excellent call. Its early in the season and its vital that he's there to remove the kicking option against a conference competitor.

By all measures the Tah's lineout has not been a strength of theirs this year, so you have to have Izzy at the back to make a kick for territory a very scary proposition.

farva

Vay Wilson (31)
Hmmm

Robinson v Cowan adv Tahs
TPN v Charles adv Tahs
Ryan v Longbum adv Tahs
Douglas v Wykes adv Tahs
Skelton v Steenkamp adv Tahs
Poitgeiter v Cottrall adv Tahs
Hooper v Hodgson adv Tahs
Dennis v McCalman adv Tahs
Phipps v Matheson adv Tahs