• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Force v Tahs, round 9 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
Hmmm

Robinson v Cowan about even
TPN v Charles about even this year
Ryan v Longbum adv Force, but even if Kepu is OK
Douglas v aWykes Adv Tahs but Douglas may be injured this week.
Skelton v Steenkamp adv Force
Poitgeiter v Cottrall about even
Hooper v Hodgson adv Tahs
Dennis v McCalman adv Force
Phipps v Matheson adv Tahs
Foley v Ebersohn adv Tahs
Betham v Badger adv Tahs, but this will be Crawford v Badger, about even given Badger's defensive misreads this year.
Beale v Godwin adv Tahs, but not by much
AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) v Stubbs adv Tahs
Alofa v Morahan adv Tahs, but this will probably be Volavola, so adv Force.
Folau v Hayward adv Tahs

Heart: Adv Force
Bandwagonness: Adv Force
Underdog factor: About even
Gameplan: Adv Tahs

This will be very close, there's very little in it.
We don't stand a chance

A slightly more balanced view.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
Given the number of wingers who are out/doubtful I wonder whether we will see Horne at 11 again this week. If Horne defends at 12 then that should negate Godwin's crash ball and Beale can drop back to support Folau on the kick return. On attack, Horne would be very useful for the inside switch from Foley to run a crash ball. He's not going to split them open like Betham but he is likely to make 10+ metres with all his forwards thundering up behind.

Forcefield

Ken Catchpole (46)
It'd better not be. Anyone who thinks Nic Phipps is better than Alby Mathewson has a serious crack problem.

Froggy

John Solomon (38)
I Cararo fit?
if so, I would have thought we would see he & Crawford on the wings. I know Cararo had a head cut, so I guess that's why they flew Volavola over, but I think he's likely to be fit.
Can't imagine the scrum changing, but probably Grey on the bench for Hoiles.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I'd be quite happy to start Gray at 8, Potgeiter and Douglas at lock and Skelton on the bench for impact later on.

With Douglas nursing a bit of an injury and having played 80 minutes in most games I think it would be good to take him off with 20 or 30 minutes to go if possible.

Sent from my HTC One XL using Tapatalk

Hoolly Doolly

Fred Wood (13)
I was pretty confident our pack had the measure of the reds pre-game last week. i dont have any of that with the tahs pack this weekend. Based on the last 2 performances I cant see how we can win the battle upfront. Tahs forwards very physical winning collision contests and getting over the advantage line at will. Add the slick backline I can only envision a comfortable win for NSW.
Having said that id be more then happy to be proven wrong. Go Force!!

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
With the welter of Waratahs' wounded wingers wouldn't it be wise (like that?) to consider Horne at 13 and AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) one further out? To my mind AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)'s the better 13 but a much better winger than Horne, and Horne has had extensive experience at OC. Carraro's performed well off the bench, might be best to keep him there. Back reserves would be:

21. McKibbin
22. Carraro
23. Volavola.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
Thread is only at 3 pages. Where did all the cocky Force fans go? Maybe they aren't confident this week and rightfully so. Just supports my theory you are ex 9's with chips on your shoulders.

Force are quickly moving down my faves team list, would prefer to support the Tahs at this point.

lpd

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Thread is only at 3 pages. Where did all the cocky Force fans go? Maybe they aren't confident this week and rightfully so. Just supports my theory you are ex 9's with chips on your shoulders.

Force are quickly moving down my faves team list, would prefer to support the Tahs at this point.
Fire can't burn without any fuel, once you take the Reds fans out of the equation.... :p

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
With Betham out for around 8 weeks and Alofa out for at least this one, the Tahs are going to need the replacement wingers to step up in a big way.

Cam Crawford now has a golden opportunity to reclaim his starting spot from 2013 and hopefully he delivers. When in form he offers a complete package. Big and fast, has a strong boot, good under the high ball and a good finisher. He's likely to get multiple weeks in the starting spot but he has to improve on the form he showed early in the season for Gen Blue.

The other wing spot is likely to go to Horne or Cararro. I wouldn't mind giving Horne a crack this week to provide a strong physical presence against Cummins. He just needs to keep his enthusiasm in check so he doesn't make another stupid high tackle from being overzealous.

Hoolly Doolly

Fred Wood (13)

We call it how we see it. Tahs on the rise and playing well while the reds have been hit with the injury curse and some might infer are in decline. Reds have just been unlucky on the injury front but have the oppurtunity to test their depth and develop the young talent in the squad.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
That forward battle is going to be massive. I'm loving the Tahs pack this year and the way they are hitting the gain line is fantastic. Potgeiter in particular is an absolute beast, great pick up. With that said, our forwards have stepped up hugely and been the reason why we've won four in a row. It's a daunting task but I know this much, the Force pigs will rip in. Whether it's enough remains to be seen, but it's going to have to be because those Tahs backs (even with the injury concerns) are very slick outfit.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I'm wondering when (or if) referees are going to start pinging Potgeiter for diving in off his feet at the breakdown.

I absolutely admire his enthusiasm and mongrel, but I cringe everytime that he flings himself into the breakdowns, fully expecting Sir to raise the Acme Thunderer to his lips whilst simultaneously extending his arm skywards in the oppositions favour closely followed by the words "Blue 4, Off your Feet."

His enthusiasm is infectious and we need a few more like him running around in Green and Gold.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)

Mate, you''ll lose your Queensland citizenship if you say that too loud. Every Queenslander knows from birth that New South Welshmen are the enemy and the source of all evil in this great land of ours.

Last weekend's loss must have hit very, very hard.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
I might have to get to the pub for this one - NIB full of rabid Force fans. Tahs returning from a punishing trip with a few injuries. A couple of big packs looking to take chunks out of each other. Sunny weather forecast.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Mate, you''ll lose your Queensland citizenship if you say that too loud. Every Queenslander knows from birth that New South Welshmen are the enemy and the source of all evil in this great land of ours.

Last weekend's loss must have hit very, very hard.

No big deal - you think they'd be accustomed to not beating the Force by now.

Status
Not open for further replies.