• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Force Vs Rebels - Rd4 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Moono75

Not sure that was arrogant. I think DD was simply putting forth a viewpoint of what Tony might be thinking.

Arrogant is when we say that the Rebels 'B' team may as well get a run, for all the threat that the Force pose. He didn't say anything like that, did he?

Putting forth a viewpoint of what Tony might be thinking is just a lazy way of to insert your own viewpoint and passing the buck on if there are any repercussions.

Trying out combinations against a 'weaker team'?
Weaker compared to who? We haven't played you yet. You also haven't played the Warratahs or Brumbies. The Crusaders have lost their opening 2 games and they now also weak opposition?

"we're just going to try and molest the Force for the first 60 with some athletic guys in Jones and Timani Jr. to come off the bench and cause absolute mayhem against a tired opp".

Why would we be any more tired than the Rebels? Is our training department not up to scratch. Will we not use our bench players also?

To me those statements sound arrogant after the Rebels have played one game. In the course of the season it may turn out correct but its early days.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
You seem to take offence very easily.

1. Both the Force and Rebels have been historically bottom of the table sides.

2. We have the wood over you at this point in time, 5/6 including the last 4.

3. Our form, assuming you include trail form, is superior to yours.

4. There is very little between our rotated in options and our rotated out options, with 1 or 2 exceptions.

The comment could have been worded better, but I don't see many bigger overreactions than yours.

Sent from my LG-P713 using Tapatalk

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
Do you get this irritated before every game? His post was no different than umpteen others on GAGR.

When you look for reasons to be offended you'll often be successful.

Jimmy C

Allen Oxlade (6)
http://www.melbournerebels.com.au/news/article/rabodirect-rebels-make-six-changes-to-starting-team

As I said on the Rebels 2014 page, I think this is Tony's way of sparking some competition between spots. Also, the Rebels have always been targeted as not having great depth on the bench. This way Tony can see who's his best 15 (as quoted in the article) and also give those guys he does start on the bench week to week and idea of what he wants from the starting 15.

I like the move. It has merit, as long as it pays off. As you've all said, the presser after the game could be interesting.

M

Moono75

I'll just say I thought the comments were arrogant and I responded to a post that asked in what way. I explained why.

The games on Saturday.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
The Reds vs Tahs/Brumbies threads have been full of friendly jibes. Come here and it's full on 'arrogance' and 'molestation'. Chill guys, the battle for 4th and 5th isn't important enough to get so worked up about.

I'm sorry, I don't think the reds/Force game is for a few weeks yet. :p

Sent from my LG-P713 using Tapatalk

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
http://www.melbournerebels.com.au/news/article/rabodirect-rebels-make-six-changes-to-starting-team

As I said on the Rebels 2014 page, I think this is Tony's way of sparking some competition between spots. Also, the Rebels have always been targeted as not having great depth on the bench. This way Tony can see who's his best 15 (as quoted in the article) and also give those guys he does start on the bench week to week and idea of what he wants from the starting 15.

I like the move. It has merit, as long as it pays off. As you've all said, the presser after the game could be interesting.

Yes interesting. I hope it's not called rotation policy.

Watched a game last year and the favourite didn't turn up. The underdogs went hard, won the collision and the game.
Rebels need to bring their boots and turn up.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Putting forth a viewpoint of what Tony might be thinking is just a lazy way of to insert your own viewpoint and passing the buck on if there are any repercussions.

Trying out combinations against a 'weaker team'?
Weaker compared to who? We haven't played you yet. You also haven't played the Warratahs or Brumbies. The Crusaders have lost their opening 2 games and they now also weak opposition?

"we're just going to try and molest the Force for the first 60 with some athletic guys in Jones and Timani Jr. to come off the bench and cause absolute mayhem against a tired opp".

Why would we be any more tired than the Rebels? Is our training department not up to scratch. Will we not use our bench players also?

To me those statements sound arrogant after the Rebels have played one game. In the course of the season it may turn out correct but its early days.
Money doesn't lie.
The general consensus is that you guys are the weakest team in the comp by some margin.
Could work out well for you,if you are right, and put your money where your mouth is.
It is not arrogant to have the same view as the majority.

FiveStarStu

Bill McLean (32)
Definitely does seem like a competition thing rather than playing a weaker side. Must be a McGahan tactic given McMahon's usurping of Reid, just on a much grander scale.

We've won one Super Rugby game, we're in absolutely no position to be arrogant.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
People misuse the world 'dropped'. Foley has 'dropped' a few guys, McGann has 'rotated' a few guys.

Good decisions by Foley, regardless of results he can't be faulted for the changes. However,it's a shame to see Holmes take the fall for poor 9/10 performances when I think Alby was more to blame.

As for McGann, it's not a bad or good decision until the results are in. We'll see I guess.

T

tranquility

People misuse the world 'dropped'. Foley has 'dropped' a few guys, McGann has 'rotated' a few guys.

Good decisions by Foley, regardless of results he can't be faulted for the changes. However,it's a shame to see Holmes take the fall for poor 9/10 performances when I think Alby was more to blame.

As for McGann, it's not a bad or good decision until the results are in. We'll see I guess.

This sounds like rotation policy speak to me, is that you Mickey? If you are not in the first XV, and you were the week before you have been 'dropped.' Whatever other factors play a part in that decision are largely irrelevant and merely spin unless you are injured.

However I like what Dumper is doing, its an ethos that Link is right into. Make every player in the squad feel as if they are a chance to play is the only way to get the best out of everyone. It also doesn't leave room for complacency.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
Not sure that was arrogant. I think DD was simply putting forth a viewpoint of what Tony might be thinking.
It's a very fine line between confidence and arrogance.
If the Force get up on the weekend then come back and read 'that' comment. I bet it will sound arrogant then.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sir Arthur Higgins

Alan Cameron (40)
Definitely does seem like a competition thing rather than playing a weaker side. Must be a McGahan tactic given McMahon's usurping of Reid, just on a much grander scale.

We've won one Super Rugby game, we're in absolutely no position to be arrogant.

McMahon is a 6 and Reid has played 7 every time for the rebels.
McMahon seems to have taken over for jones.
He should be rested after this week or off the bench. Still a young lad and he looked positively rooted after about 65 minutes last week

Sir Arthur Higgins

Alan Cameron (40)
I don't think we are clear winners for tomorrow. Force are perpetually underrated. Great forward pack and with Godwin morahan mathewson, and Hayward they have some backs with a lot of spark.
They just need a good 13 another winger and a better 7.
We might have the "wood" over them but it's never been much wood.

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
Yeah I hope the Rebels are cautious with young McMahon. You only need to look to the Australian cricket team and their injury ward full of young pace bowlers to see the effects of overstressing developing bodies.

I've still got a ways to go before I enter any Rebels match with confidence, especially away from home. The Force were able to bounce back from bad losses last season to beating the Reds in Brisbane, so who knows which team will turn up. Likewise with the Rebels of old - big stirring wins followed by abject losses.

Flip a coin.

louie

Desmond Connor (43)
I'd admire Tony McGahan a lot for these changes. Surely depth can only built by giving players chances at the highest level. fantastic to see. More teams need to be doing it.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I'd admire Tony McGahan a lot for these changes. Surely depth can only built by giving players chances at the highest level. fantastic to see. More teams need to be doing it.

It's a good idea in theory unless they lose a game they should probably have won.

If they lose tomorrow, it was a terrible idea and they should have stuck far more closely with a winning team.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)

You want to reward performance. He runs the risk of guys doing everything asked of them getting 'dropped'. A good way to confuse players and put them offside. Hope he knows what he is doing.

Status
Not open for further replies.