• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Force Vs Rebels - Rd4 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

louie

Desmond Connor (43)
Yes of course, but when you don't have a high level club competition you don't have much option. A loss in this game will only be a blip in the long team if it means a strong squad.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Yes of course, but when you don't have a high level club competition you don't have much option. A loss in this game will only be a blip in the long team if it means a strong squad.

If the Rebels have any aspirations to make the finals this year (which I think they do), then a loss in a game that you should win is more than just a blip on the radar.

Super Rugby is a tough competition by international standards on that basis that only 6 of 15 teams make the playoffs.

You really can't afford to drop games, particularly against the sides likely to be at the bottom of your conference.

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
Good on you Tony. Nice to see the super coaches rallying around each other to keep the wolves from the door :)

But seriously, I'm envious of the young guys you have coming up in the squad and the competition is fierce for spots. That can only be a good thing. I'm sure Tony can see the totality of the situation.

louie

Desmond Connor (43)
Yes of course, it's about assessing the ricks vs the pros and cons. Taking risks earlier is better then later.

Agree with what your saying but applaud the balls resting in Mr McFagan front pocket.

D

daz

I think this can be considered the thinking behind the starting changes from the man himself:

'McGahan believes that the Club needs to embrace their full squad, and keep all the players connected and hungry.

"We want to keep the squad connected and give blokes the opportunity to play," McGahan said. "It's a great chance to get guys involved in the competition early, and give them connection to the competition and to the group. Shota Horie, for example has only recently arrived from Japan and we need to see what he can deliver.

The coaches are still finding out about the players; we can do as much training as we like, but we really need to see them in game situations and it is a really good opportunity for us to continue our development and growth as a squad. You need a full squad to do well in this competition; it's not going to be up to fifteen or twenty guys to get us through all of our Super Rugby games.

We are only ever going to be as strong as the bottom end of the group, so we need to make sure everybody is reaching and going forward." '

From http://melbournerebels.com.au/news/article/rabodirect-rebels-make-six-changes-to-starting-team

Dumbledore

Dick Tooth (41)
Do you always come across as so arrogant?

Mate, sorry if it came across that way - wasn't my intent. Can see why the sexually aggressive language might not have helped, mind. I was just trying to muddle through the possible reasons for the selections made. The 'weaker' in quotation marks was meant to denote that weaker is obviously a pretty relative term, there are no easy games in this comp. In saying that, you'd have to be mad not to suggest that the Force are going to be perceived as a safer team to experiment against than, say, The Chiefs.

D

daz

I think that means that he is not "resting" players because the game is against a lesser "threat" than the Force; he would be doing it regardless of the next opposition.

I think that means he is willing to potentially sacrifice short term for long term

As I said before, given what I have seen from this squad so far this year, I am not about to start second-guessing the coaches or hoping that they know what they are doing.

I'm on board.

Having said that, I was on board with Deans as well, so I am hardly a barometer for hooking my wagon to success. I have added a pinch of salt to each of my posts. Feel free to take one as you go.

:D

Dumbledore

Dick Tooth (41)
Can add an extra couple of pinches for mine then! We're all trying to figure things out based on a ridiculously small sample size.

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
Following in the footsteps of the USA immigration authority ...
article-2564613-1BB30DB700000578-311_634x407.jpg

A source has leaked the latest ARU ultimatum to the Rebels and Force for the 2015 season. in a move to limit salary cap issues and better manage ARU contracted players the clubs have been issued with the following directive ......

Force Rebs.jpg

Ballboy

Chris McKivat (8)
The Force cant wait to get their hands on the Rebels and will try to belt them i reckon ,, this will be the easiest of games to loose so i hope they are ready for it and not day dreaming about last week.
Very Lucky to have such a talent pool of replacements , they wont let anyone down and if a culture of picking teams to suit opposition / conditions becomes accepted by the squad we would go a step ahead of a lot of opposition .

M

Moono75

Abit of motivation for the boys. http://m.watoday.com.au/rugby-union...-hodgo-hodgsons-milestone-20140306-349ch.html

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You hope the team fully understands what the requirements are and the intensity required. I have attended too many games to celebrate a player milestone only to see them let down by a poor performance.

We talk about creating club cultures etc, well part of that is built around winning these games so that in the years to come you can reflect......yeah I was there when Hodgo ran out for his 100th Force cap. The boys played great that day....they sent him off in style. Wouldn't it be great to have the memory of him leaving the field on Saturday on the shoulders of his teammates with a W on the board rather than the alternative.

Early days of the season but we need to lift, the Rebels are in good form, some pride in the jersey is needed Saturday.

Jimmy C

Allen Oxlade (6)
You want to reward performance. He runs the risk of guys doing everything asked of them getting 'dropped'. A good way to confuse players and put them offside. Hope he knows what he is doing.

I would guess that he would be very open with the players about the reasoning behind the selections, given that he basically spells it out in the article up on the Rebels website. And from what I've heard, the entire team have really bought into the way TT goes about his business.

Mr Wobbly

Alan Cameron (40)
The wild optimist in me thinks we will have the bonus point before half time and win by more than 28 points to go to the top of the Aussie conference :)

My pessimist side thinks that the glorious bubble we've been living in this week is about to be burst big time :(

I'm nervous about this game o_O

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Looks like the Rebels have got their front row sorted for this year, even if they're not yet sure who should play where, and they have always had a very strong back row. Games are won in the forwards. I expect the Rebels to take this one.

Dumbledore

Dick Tooth (41)
English out with a virus. Mitchell to start, that young Kiwi, Veainu, to the bench. Anyone going to be at Turf Bar tonight?

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member
Sucks for Tom, good chance for Veainu. Don't think it should change the game plan that much.

I'm the designated parent so will be watching on the couch (with a well stocked beer fridge).

Mr Wobbly

Alan Cameron (40)
Sucks for Tom, good chance for Veainu. Don't think it should change the game plan that much.

I'm the designated parent so will be watching on the couch (with a well stocked beer fridge).

Sucks for me too. I just added him to my fantasy team :(

It will be good to see Veainu get a shot though.

Status
Not open for further replies.