• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Fulltime domestic Women's Sevens Competition from 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Yeah so it will feature 8 teams, with Bond and Griffith Uni now confirmed, here's the rest from that article:

“ARU contracted players will be distributed among the eight teams along with the requirement that 50% of the team will be made up by university students.

“Having seen how many Griffith players were in the Australian University team in November, we are going to be well positioned, particularly with our collaborative approach,’’ he said.

“We’re partnering with Sunnybank Rugby and Griffith Colleges rugby clubs, so it’s another step in the right direction of being a stand-out sports university.

Would be interested in seeing if as part of this commitment will they be offering accommodation etc. alongside entry concessions for athletes. I actually think this model should be looked at seriously by the ARU to be expanded beyond just 7s.

T

TOCC

I think it would be fairly predictable to say Sydney Uni will likely be one plus at least another NSW Uni.

you would have to assume so, University of Queensland would have to be another, they placed a great emphasis on women's Sevens in 2016 and had a massive representation amongst the Women's QLD teams at both the junior and seniors national Sevens comp.

T

TOCC

National women's sevens coach Tim Walsh revealed on Monday he would release a number of players from the Olympic champion Pearls squad to play in the eight-team tournament, which will run from August to October in the world series off-season.

"It's positioned strategically at a time that will allow us to let the contracted players out and play," Walsh said at a promotional event for the upcoming HSBC Sydney Sevens.

The ARU are finalising the list of universities that will take part in the inaugural season after receiving 25 expressions of interest from institutions in every state and territory bar the Northern Territory.

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-union/u...ition-20170109-gto9pe.html?platform=hootsuite

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sauron

Larry Dwyer (12)
Would be very surprised if Macquarie wasn't involved, given their support for the Rays.

Surely the 8-team comp will be east coast only to start with?

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
On the basis of their sponsorship?
Anyone know the extent of their involvement?

Their men's Rugby is a long way from a high performance environment, they play 4th div subbies IIRC.

T

TOCC

On the basis of their sponsorship?
Anyone know the extent of their involvement?

Their men's Rugby is a long way from a high performance environment, they play 4th div subbies IIRC.

Same as Griffith Uni, isn't a renowned rugby university, but they have reportedly been included in the new comp by partnering with Sunnybank Rugby

T

TOCC

My point was that Griffith address that by partnering with a Prem club.

are you suggesting Mac Uni don't need a partner?

I never said that..

You mentioned in your initial post that the men's teams at Macquarie were poor performers, I'm merely highlighting that isn't the measure of whether they will or should get entry into this comp.

Macquarie have demonstrated their interest in funding Rugby through the NRC, is it really that ridiculous to think they would have an interest in a women's Sevens equivalent..

Bond and UQ both likely entrants in this comp only launched their women's sevens teams in the past 2 years.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
I don't necessarily think it requires a Uni to have a history of performance in the game. That's the point of building these programs. They can always import the necessary expertise.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
I never said that..

You mentioned in your initial post that the men's teams at Macquarie were poor performers, I'm merely highlighting that isn't the measure of whether they will or should get entry into this comp.

Macquarie have demonstrated their interest in funding Rugby through the NRC, is it really that ridiculous to think they would have an interest in a women's Sevens equivalent..

Bond and UQ both likely entrants in this comp only launched their women's sevens teams in the past 2 years.
You do that by quoting other Uni's that compete, or partner with clubs that compete in a Premier comp?

Again what is the extent of their sponsorship with the Rays?

Who would be the driver at Mac Uni ?
Their administration or the subbies club?
If it's the admin, it will cost as they'll have to head hunt staff.
If it's the subbies guys, then they are up against it,when compared with most of the other sides that have been mentioned.

I don't think it's ridiculous, but it's not the no brainer that quite a few suggest it might be.

T

TOCC

No one suggested it was a no brainer.. who are the other sides that you refer to besides UQ, Bond and Syd Uni?

Given there were 25 expressions of interests in this competition, those exact same questions could be asked of the majority of potential applicants.

I really don't see the issue with someone suggesting Macquarie could be one of the teams in this comp..

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
National women's sevens coach Tim Walsh revealed on Monday he would release a number of players from the Olympic champion Pearls squad to play in the eight-team tournament, which will run from August to October in the world series off-season.

"It's positioned strategically at a time that will allow us to let the contracted players out and play," Walsh said at a promotional event for the upcoming HSBC Sydney Sevens.

The ARU are finalising the list of universities that will take part in the inaugural season after receiving 25 expressions of interest from institutions in every state and territory bar the Northern Territory.

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-union/u...ition-20170109-gto9pe.html?platform=hootsuite

Something no one seems to have mentioned is that its window is essentially the same as the NRC. Wonder if it will run alongside the NRC as lead in events.

T

TOCC

UP to 10 Gold Coast clubs could field teams in a full women’s rugby sevens schedule being established by international icon Ben Gollings.

Former England star Gollings told the Bulletin plans were in place to start competitions as soon as next month with Helensvale, Palm Beach Currumbin, Casuarina and Bond University among the clubs to register major interest.

It comes as Bond have been accepted into the inaugural eight-team national sevens university series for a number of tournaments likely to be held across August and September. Griffith University and the University of Queensland will also take part.

“What we’re looking at trying to do is get a full playing calendar for these teams up and running in this next 12 months. Obviously this is the starting year so we’re not looking to go too big too quickly but hopefully we will see that growth in year two and year three.”

The benefit of this new competition isn't just in the comp itself, but further development it will stimulate in the tiers below.

Bond Uni to establish new Women's Sevens comp for Gold Coast and northern NSW to support their team in the new University's competition.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
The benefit of this new competition isn't just in the comp itself, but further development it will stimulate in the tiers below.

Bond Uni to establish new Women's Sevens comp for Gold Coast and northern NSW to support their team in the new University's competition.

That's really great to read. Setting up solid foundations below it to ensure success at the fop. Hopefully the other 7 Uni's (actually, I'd hope every Uni that entered EOI's to compete do likewise as a signal of their intent) look to do likewise.

Status
Not open for further replies.