• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Fulltime domestic Women's Sevens Competition from 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

p.Tah

John Thornett (49)
So that's:
Bond
Griffith
Uni of QLD
That's leaves 5 more.
Perhaps 3 NSW, 1 ACT and 1 VIC?

I'm going to guess
Sydney Uni
Newcastle Uni
Western Sydney
Canberra Uni
Melbourne Uni

Nusadan

Chilla Wilson (44)
It won't be hard to imagine inter-faculty matches within, say Sydney Uni, between women's 7s sides as it is the case for men's 15s for many years, anyone know if it has happened already?

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
So that's:
Bond
Griffith
Uni of QLD
That's leaves 5 more.
Perhaps 3 NSW, 1 ACT and 1 VIC?

I'm going to guess
Sydney Uni
Newcastle Uni
Western Sydney
Canberra Uni
Melbourne Uni

Could be just two from NSW with Canberra, Melbourne and UWA. Either that or 3 from NSW and possibly no Canberra.

T

TOCC

QRU had been ahead of their counterparts when it came investing in Women's Sevens through various programs, it wouldn't surprise me if QLD had the most teams, at least in the initial season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

T

TOCC

Appears its:
Uni of Tasmania
Uni New England
Bond
Uni Qld

Two from Sydney, 1x Melb, 1x PERTH

I thought Griffith was in?

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-union/u...ities-sevens-competition-20170120-gtvnfd.html

Griffith have an announcement on their website stating they are in, so I'd assume they are.

The article actually says "Two other universities have also been included, potentially from Melbourne and Perth".

So if Griffith is included, which I'm assuming is the case, then one of Melbourne or Perth will miss out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Uni of Tasmania is a big surprise, surely on the back of some decent government funding. Hope it does well.

I think the inclusion of UTas is a strong indicator that those Uni's involved will be competing hard in terms of recruitment and program development. Which is excellent to see.

Also, if the report is true and two Sydney Uni's (I think we can all agree that Sydney is a lock and I'm hoping for Western Sydney) then alongside the three Qld Uni's then one of Melbourne or Perth will miss out. Going from the recent Nationals the Perth girls were the stronger squad.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I'm guessing we hear about this today? Makes sense to launch it on the eve of the Sydney 7s.

Media are invited to attend two major announcements TODAY in regards to Women's Rugby Sevens

12:30pm Sydney time.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Aon has joined forces with the Australian Rugby Union (ARU) in a new four-year partnership beginning in 2017.

The Aon logo, which adorned the front of the playing strip of famed English football club, Manchester United between 2010 and 2014, will now feature on the back of the playing jerseys of Australia’s World and Olympic Champion Women’s Sevens team beginning this weekend at the Sydney 7s.

The partnership also provides Aon with naming rights for the new National Women’s University Sevens Series which is set for kick off in August 2017.

• Additional rights for Aon under the agreement include naming rights for the National Women’s Youth Sevens Championship and official status as Risk Partner of the Australian Rugby Union.
  • The National Women’s University Sevens Series will feature eight teams from five different Australian states and territories. The competition will be played over four separate tournaments, and will feature the country’s top emerging women’s Sevens talent alongside elite stars from the Australian Women’s Sevens team.
  • The competition will fill a much-needed gap in the national women’s Sevens pathway, offering the nation’s best up-and-coming talent the opportunity to train and play in a high performance environment to stake their claims for national selection.
  • Women’s Sevens participation in Australia grew by 33% for the second consecutive year in 2016. It is the fastest growing team sport in the world.
  • More than 30 per cent of the world's total playing population are women and girls, equating to 2 million players and an increase of 300,000 over the last 12 months.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
http://redsrugby.com.au/News/NewsArticles/tabid/581/ArticleID/17650/Thee-Queensland-Universities-to-compete-in-AON-Women’s-Uni-Sevens-Series.aspx
The eight teams who will compete in the 2017 National University Sevens Series are:
1. University of Canberra, ACT
2. University of Adelaide, SA
3. University of Tasmania, TAS
4. University of New England, NSW
5. Macquarie University, NSW
6. Bond University, QLD
7. University of Queensland, QLD
8. Griffith University, QLD

The Aon National University Sevens Series will involve four tournaments, with the first one scheduled to kick off in August. Members of the Qantas Australian Women’s Sevens squad will be divided up between the teams which will each comprise a mix of students and non-students (with 50% students being the squad minimum and no on-field quota to be employed).

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
I'm guessing we hear about this today? Makes sense to launch it on the eve of the Sydney 7s.

12:30pm Sydney time.

I was actually just thinking about this. Wondering when we'd see something considering it is Thursday and we were due an announcement before the 7s.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
http://redsrugby.com.au/News/NewsArticles/tabid/581/ArticleID/17650/Thee-Queensland-Universities-to-compete-in-AON-Women’s-Uni-Sevens-Series.aspx
The eight teams who will compete in the 2017 National University Sevens Series are:
1. University of Canberra, ACT
2. University of Adelaide, SA
3. University of Tasmania, TAS
4. University of New England, NSW
5. Macquarie University, NSW
6. Bond University, QLD
7. University of Queensland, QLD
8. Griffith University, QLD

The Aon National University Sevens Series will involve four tournaments, with the first one scheduled to kick off in August. Members of the Qantas Australian Women’s Sevens squad will be divided up between the teams which will each comprise a mix of students and non-students (with 50% students being the squad minimum and no on-field quota to be employed).

First of all, I'm both surprised that Sydney Uni hasn't managed to get themselves a run and pleased to see squads from both Tasmania and Adelaide involved. Would prefer if each of the Uni's got to host a round each but four is a solid enough start.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I'm surprised that there's no representation from VIC or WA............

But it's great to see teams from outside the usual rugby centres.

T

TOCC

Brilliant news...

Good to see the growing corporate support for the Aussie Women's as well, Aon also took up a major sponsor with the Women's Sevens team as part of the deal.

Caputo

Billy Sheehan (19)
Would have liked 8 become 12 Teams

UWA
Melbourne Uni as they are in partnership with Rebels
Sydney Uni and
UNSW

Pity no place for Charles Sturt who were involved with NSW Country in NRC

T

TOCC

Some teams like Sydney Uni didn't submit a bid, opting to develop their 7s program a bit more before bidding for participation.

The thing about a tournament like this is that numbers can fluctuate year to year without impacting on the overall structure of the tournament.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Would have liked 8 become 12 Teams

UWA
Melbourne Uni as they are in partnership with Rebels
Sydney Uni and
UNSW

Pity no place for Charles Sturt who were involved with NSW Country in NRC

Still could in 2018. I wouldn't mind it goimg to 12 fairly quickly but what I'd prefer would be to see the number of rounds go from 4 to 8. Would even work with 12 teams. Both Nsw and Qld could run combined events or Qld could probably have two while each Uni host one round each.

Status
Not open for further replies.