• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Global Rapid Rugby

southsider

Arch Winning (36)
Posting it here just ruins all the fun, kiap needs to watch the whole movie to really get the message. Besides might take his mind off thinking everyone hates the WF and GRR ;)

Aurelius

Ted Thorn (20)
Posting it here just ruins all the fun, kiap needs to watch the whole movie to really get the message. Besides might take his mind off thinking everyone hates the WF and GRR ;)

Or he could just become a Perth Glory fan. Working a treat for me.

G

GingerBreadCrab

Yeah, if I had to cop this thing then surely Aurelius does too :D

ForceFan

Chilla Wilson (44)
‘We don’t want it half-cocked’: Global Rapid Rugby, featuring Hong Kong-based South China Tigers, pushed back a year

Patrick Blennerhassett Honk Kong Rugby Union 1 Feb 2019

Tight timeframe in getting series off the ground forces mining magnate to push the start date back until after the Rugby World Cup

The Hong Kong Rugby Union has already signed on and will manage the South China Tigers squad in the series
Andrew Forrest’s ambitious Global Rapid Rugby has been postponed for one year and will now kick off its inaugural season in 2020 after the Rugby World Cup in Japan.

The Australian mining magnate first organised the touring showcase in 2018 as a way to get his team, the Western Force, games after they were booted from the Australian Super Rugby Conference.

The Hong Kong Rugby Union has confirmed it is helping organise the tournament, and will enter a team called the South China Tigers.

HKRU chief executive officer Robbie McRobbie said he was disappointed GRR had been scaled back, but they remained committed to Forrest’s vision.
“I think the idea of going off half-cocked and not being able to deliver what we want to, that was a concern,” said McRobbie.
He said the key message was this was “not a cancellation, it is a postponement” and GRR should be making an announcement in the coming weeks on any potential 2019 “showcase” fixtures.
McRobbie said any games featuring the Tigers in 2019 would take place after the Hong Kong Sevens (April 5-7), and could also feature two players from the Chinese national team.
GRR is billed as a faster more fan-friendly approach to 15-a-side rugby, with shorter halves and small rule changes added to encourage more try scoring. The first iteration also featured live entertainment and various fan engagement improvements looking to capitalise on things such as social media.

Mark Doran, of GRR, said six teams (Hong Kong, Singapore, Malaysia, Fiji, Samoa and the Force) were committed to taking part in a full series this year, and they were now in negotiations for the abbreviated “showcase” series for 2019. He said “nothing is locked away as yet.”

GRR said in a press release that the 2020 season would feature eight teams in a 56-game home-and-away series for A$1 million (US$725,000) in prize money. Forrest also noted organising 60 games in eight international territories in 15 weeks “was a tough ask”.
“There is an incorrect report doing the rounds that says Samoa and Malaysia had not committed and that is why the decision was made to launch with the Showcase Series this year,” said Doran. “That report is totally wrong.”
Doran added he anticipated there would be eight to 12 games this year throughout Asia, the Pacific Islands and Australasia.

McRobbie said there was some benefit in waiting until after the Rugby World Cup in Japan this September.
Hong Kong just missed out on qualifying for the tournament via a repechage last year, with Canada grabbing the final spot. He said it may be easier for GRR to sign up more “marquee” players after the World Cup.
“Without giving too much away, we are looking at some international names … and the choice in marquee players for 2019 was understandably restricted because so many players are still in the mix and fighting for the opportunity to play in the World Cup.”

https://www.scmp.com/sport/rugby/ar...H1Lh--cOikNLqdTu_kJV-6E-K_-Yz_ySj0ZCUCJsx8mEw

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
‘We don’t want it half-cocked’: Global Rapid Rugby, featuring Hong Kong-based South China Tigers, pushed back a year

Patrick Blennerhassett Honk Kong Rugby Union 1 Feb 2019

Tight timeframe in getting series off the ground forces mining magnate to push the start date back until after the Rugby World Cup

The Hong Kong Rugby Union has already signed on and will manage the South China Tigers squad in the series

Andrew Forrest’s ambitious Global Rapid Rugby has been postponed for one year and will now kick off its inaugural season in 2020 after the Rugby World Cup in Japan.

The Australian mining magnate first organised the touring showcase in 2018 as a way to get his team, the Western Force, games after they were booted from the Australian Super Rugby Conference.

The Hong Kong Rugby Union has confirmed it is helping organise the tournament, and will enter a team called the South China Tigers.

HKRU chief executive officer Robbie McRobbie said he was disappointed GRR had been scaled back, but they remained committed to Forrest’s vision.

“I think the idea of going off half-cocked and not being able to deliver what we want to, that was a concern,” said McRobbie.

He said the key message was this was “not a cancellation, it is a postponement” and GRR should be making an announcement in the coming weeks on any potential 2019 “showcase” fixtures.

McRobbie said any games featuring the Tigers in 2019 would take place after the Hong Kong Sevens (April 5-7), and could also feature two players from the Chinese national team.

GRR is billed as a faster more fan-friendly approach to 15-a-side rugby, with shorter halves and small rule changes added to encourage more try scoring. The first iteration also featured live entertainment and various fan engagement improvements looking to capitalise on things such as social media.

Mark Doran, of GRR, said six teams (Hong Kong, Singapore, Malaysia, Fiji, Samoa and the Force) were committed to taking part in a full series this year, and they were now in negotiations for the abbreviated “showcase” series for 2019. He said “nothing is locked away as yet.”

GRR said in a press release that the 2020 season would feature eight teams in a 56-game home-and-away series for A$1 million (US$725,000) in prize money. Forrest also noted organising 60 games in eight international territories in 15 weeks “was a tough ask”.

“There is an incorrect report doing the rounds that says Samoa and Malaysia had not committed and that is why the decision was made to launch with the Showcase Series this year,” said Doran. “That report is totally wrong.”

Doran added he anticipated there would be eight to 12 games this year throughout Asia, the Pacific Islands and Australasia.

McRobbie said there was some benefit in waiting until after the Rugby World Cup in Japan this September.

Hong Kong just missed out on qualifying for the tournament via a repechage last year, with Canada grabbing the final spot. He said it may be easier for GRR to sign up more “marquee” players after the World Cup.

“Without giving too much away, we are looking at some international names … and the choice in marquee players for 2019 was understandably restricted because so many players are still in the mix and fighting for the opportunity to play in the World Cup.”

https://www.scmp.com/sport/rugby/article/2184616/we-dont-want-it-half-cocked-global-rapid-rugby-featuring-hong-kong-based?fbclid=IwAR1oYz3E9KpgXrH1Lh--cOikNLqdTu_kJV-6E-K_-Yz_ySj0ZCUCJsx8mEw
So is Western Sydney back in the mix as one of the 8 teams for 2019?

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
So is Western Sydney back in the mix as one of the 8 teams for 2019?

I think the NSWRU and RA gave them the bum's rush for 2019 in no uncertain terms. Could that be reversed?

If so, hopefully the local Sydney backers lined up earlier haven't moved someplace where they were, … ah yes, … welcome.

Would be good to see a WS team in the mix - if not in the 2019 invitationals then for 2020 or 2021.

Reactions: dru

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
I think the NSWRU and RA gave them the bum's rush for 2019 in no uncertain terms. Could that be reversed?

If so, hopefully the local Sydney backers lined up earlier haven't moved someplace where they were, … ah yes, … welcome.

Would be good to see a WS team in the mix - if not in the 2019 invitationals then for 2020 or 2021.

I'd like a WS in 2020 and a GC team in 2021 if possible. I wouldn't mind seeing the Tahs play more games up Manly way (as apparently the opener is selling quite well) if that were to happen. I also think it would help grow the NRC. With the Tahs and Reds essentially becoming Sydney and Brisbane alongside Canberra and Melbourne from the Super Rugby side of the equation joined by the Force, WS, GC and Fiji from the GRR side. Give the competition more of a dimension as a form of bragging rights.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
In so many ways a GRR with WS and even GC team would be great boost for rugby. GC team ambitious but maybe not with how much investment QLD making in grass roots, club and pro rugby, academies etc etc - unabashed fan of what QLD RU doing investment wise which longer term should pay handsome dividends imho.

I think if done right will be perfect compliment to oz teams in Super Rugby and create less division not having WA in particular not involved (as we all know and agree they should be involved in pro rugby and if not just not worked out right pro competition to allow that - which is where GRR comes into play).

Longer term I see a merger between GRR and Super Rugby via confernce system and finals. It could even be that who wins GRR plays of Super Rugby winner at its simplest but a link between the 2 compeititions longer term will be essential imho. Whether that merger - playoff final between GRR and Super Rugby winner or more conference style where teams from each then goes into finals mix who knows but one of those scenario's most likely imo.

LearningCurve

Bill Watson (15)
In so many ways a GRR with WS and even GC team would be great boost for rugby. GC team ambitious but maybe not with how much investment QLD making in grass roots, club and pro rugby, academies etc etc - unabashed fan of what QLD RU doing investment wise which longer term should pay handsome dividends imho.

What is all this investment by QRU? There's a lot of grassroots volunteer activity and club driven activity to cover for the lack of activity by QRU so am interested in what they are actually doing outside of that.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)

I think if done right will be perfect compliment to oz teams in Super Rugby and create less division not having WA in particular not involved (as we all know and agree they should be involved in pro rugby and if not just not worked out right pro competition to allow that - which is where GRR comes into play).

Longer term I see a merger between GRR and Super Rugby via confernce system and finals. It could even be that who wins GRR plays of Super Rugby winner at its simplest but a link between the 2 compeititions longer term will be essential imho. Whether that merger - playoff final between GRR and Super Rugby winner or more conference style where teams from each then goes into finals mix who knows but one of those scenario's most likely imo.

Sort of my thinking. Assuming Super Rugby survives and GRR successfully launches there is an opportunity to create a second competition that for all intensive purposes is our domestic championship. That's why I have suggested that giving GRR the go ahead for the WS team and the option of a GC or such that provides the opportunity for the NRC to bring in four (including Fiji) from each competition under one umbrella.

This way Super Rugby could revert back to the round robin 14 week schedule and GRR could run its own proposed 14 week schedule and then the Aus teams from both competitions could duke it out after it.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
^ I get what you're saying in terms of having a SEQ presence but not so sure about GC, I'd have thought Ipswich-Logan was a better bet esp if done before the mooted Brisbane expansion team (Ipswich Bombers last I heard) happens. A real greenfield for our code given there's currently no professional team from any code in the I-L Corridor & there's huge NZ & PI expat communities to tap into.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
^ I get what you're saying in terms of having a SEQ presence but not so sure about GC, I'd have thought Ipswich-Logan was a better bet esp if done before the mooted Brisbane expansion team (Ipswich Bombers last I heard) happens. A real greenfield for our code given there's currently no professional team from any code in the I-L Corridor & there's huge NZ & PI expat communities to tap into.

You are right WOB, would make miles more sense to tap into kiwi/PI community around Logan, just not sure where they would get $s from. QRU have made it pretty clear they see no growth in Logan , in quite a big way because the richest clubs in Qld are each side, so I would think they might do it through Sunnybank. Who's the Ipswich bombers ? Have the Rangers changed their name? And I don't think there is really any chance of Brissy comp expanding anyway.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)

Honestly, I'm not fussed where in QLD any such team could be based. I was just thinking about population bases and the GC is Queensland's 2nd most populous. It's more that I think it would make sense for RA to basically say 'yep, you can have a team in NSW and QLD' to GRR assuming they can source backing.

Of course it would need to entail certain conditions such as investment in each area's clubs and competition and no direct sourcing of talent from the respective club competition for X number of seasons (which considering one of the stated aims of the GRR was to bring talent back from overseas that shouldn't be an issue).

I just like the idea of having a 4/4 split in both competitions then being able to really elevate the NRC to proper professionalism and use it as a national championship structure.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
You are right WOB, would make miles more sense to tap into kiwi/PI community around Logan, just not sure where they would get $s from. QRU have made it pretty clear they see no growth in Logan , in quite a big way because the richest clubs in Qld are each side, so I would think they might do it through Sunnybank. Who's the Ipswich bombers ? Have the Rangers changed their name? And I don't think there is really any chance of Brissy comp expanding anyway.

Bombers = NRL.

Had an interesting chat with a Sunnybank guy when the NRC entities were being set up & his (admittedly biased) take was that no matter how superior their bid/ presentation was, QRU would always go with GC because $. Oh well, their loss.

WCR: I once asked a Director of the company I worked for why we didn't have a bigger GC presence what with it being the sixth (?) largest city in Australia. His answer: it's also got the most transient population so unless you're a nationally recognised brand it's very hard if not impossible to build a support base.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
With NRL impoding with domestic violence and rape allegations now is just another reason for the time for Union to strike as even before this if ever there was a time to launch a WS side in GRR the time is now so I don't know how many other events they need to understand this.. We could refer to NRL planning to have Fiji side enter the next level down etc and potential for further drain on PI talent in the west away from union; the fact with rugby 7's in olympics given more profile, the strength of the world game with new competitions in US, concepts of World League etc etc.

So Hore r u strategic? and do you really understand the Art of War....as if Hore not doing everything to make a WS side in GRR with private benefactor behind it I think we need to get Sutton to deport him back to NZ as seriously the Rugby bureacracy act like they have all the time in the world while Rome burns.....

Twiggy done one thing which is shown a sense of urgency and ability to move quickly that pushing our Public Service like rugby bureacracy to move from 19th Century mode of working to 20th Century mode of working. Now if we can just get them to 21st Century need for speed....we might finally give all those long suffering (remaining) rugby supporters hope....