• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Global Rapid Rugby

ForceFan

Chilla Wilson (44)
The announcement from the GRR website.

https://www.rapidrugby.com/2019-showcase-series-unveiled/

I'm liking the alternative for 2019/RWC year - especially if it means a fully manned, with high profile marqe players after the RWC, 8-team competition in 2020.

7 or 8 international games in Perth during 2018, local rugby plus NRC will provide enough local interest for me with the possibility of OS travel to watch the lads play in interesting locations.

Thanks again for keeping professional rugby in Perth Minderoo!

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Hopefully contracts for players, coaches etc can be honoured

Well, yes. If that doesn't occur then trying to reboot later will be a problem – as will any invitational events for 2019. To have a 2019 showcase will require several teams, clearly. Requiring those teams to play still requires they be paid.

I think you'd agree it's not a case of being insolvent and unable to honour contracts.

Or have I misread this, and you're suggesting otherwise?

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Might be delayed for right reasons, but suspect it will really hurt the chances of it being successful. Delaying it with only a month or so to go before it starts smacks of something that is badly organised to me, and I suspect quite a few others. Hope I am wrong, and it doesn't hurt it, but I have to admit there was already an awful lot of doubt/disinterest about it with the rugby people I spoke to (admittedly only a few) while on a flying visit to NZ last week.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Well hopefully with 1 year delay it means getting a NZ team and Western Sydney team included as to be frank I think it needs these teams to attract more interest. Inclusion of Fiji, force and Japanese teams good to attract interest - just think will take longer to get success with Samoa, HK and Singapore teams and hence better to get other more short term attractive teams involved.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
Well, yes. If that doesn't occur then trying to reboot later will be a problem – as will any invitational events for 2019. To have a 2019 showcase will require several teams, clearly. Requiring those teams to play still requires they be paid.

I think you'd agree it's not a case of being insolvent and unable to honour contracts.

Or have I misread this, and you're suggesting otherwise?
No idea on finances for each team, or even salaries - but without some heavy investment from owners/twiggy I wouldn't have thought there is any chance that these teams could pay their players/coaches/staff without a pro comp and revenue to play in for a year.

No Super rugby team as an example, or even too many NRC teams could do it.

Had the international players signed up and flown over etc yet?

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
without some heavy investment from owners/twiggy I wouldn't have thought there is any chance that these teams could pay their players/coaches/staff

Right … it's good you've come out and said that.

Suggesting there's not "any chance" of people being paid, though, is a big claim. What is the actual story here.

For it to be god'strewth, you need to be specific – Who is not getting paid?

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Might be delayed for right reasons, but suspect it will really hurt the chances of it being successful. Delaying it with only a month or so to go before it starts smacks of something that is badly organised to me, and I suspect quite a few others. Hope I am wrong, and it doesn't hurt it, but I have to admit there was already an awful lot of doubt/disinterest about it with the rugby people I spoke to (admittedly only a few) while on a flying visit to NZ last week.
There seemed to be a fair amount of rugby disinterest in general, when i popped over a few months ago.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)

Suggesting there's not "any chance" of people being paid, though, is a big claim. What is the actual story here.

There's no story. There's me hoping the players/coaches are getting paid. Someone's taking a hit

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
There seemed to be a fair amount of rugby disinterest in general, when i popped over a few months ago.

Yep well outside the season there was, but it getting close to Super rugby time so interest is getting piqued a bit, mind you I talking to rugby mates etc while there, but when I mentioned GRR, they all seemed to feel it would rate on their interest level even lower than 7s. Mind you sure it hasn't been marketed at all over there as yet, and when I said I really knew nothing much about it when I was asked about teams etc, the general consensus amongst (admittedly a small lot as flying visit) was oh yeah well lets see if it actually starts etc etc. All I hope is the first thing they hear about GRR is that it has been canned for first year a month out, that it doesn't hurt the credibility of it even more. I will be honest I have my doubts now it will ever go ahead now.
Hope I'm wrong!

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
There's no story. There's me hoping the players/coaches are getting paid. Someone's taking a hit
Fair enough.

On the hit, though, is it bigger (or smaller) with an exhibition series versus a 6 team home and away comp?

An assumption to hang a hat on.

G

GingerBreadCrab

I don't think anyone's trying to jab here Kiap, joining a rebel competition at its very beginning is a risky business for players and coaches. In any sport, it's either a success or an abject failure. See World Series Cricket, Super League War and Rebel Tours of South Africa in the 80's/90's. It's a risky business.

High chance that players who have signed on to compete in GRR with whatever union, outside of the Western Force, aren't going to get paid. In fact, unless Twiggy is really wanting to keep them all on board and pay all of their salaries while they do nothing but train for a year, they'll probably head back to club-land? Maybe you know more than we do?

G

GingerBreadCrab

Fair enough.

On the hit, though, is it bigger (or smaller) with an exhibition series versus a 6 team home and away comp?

An assumption to hang a hat on.

Having no idea of the contracting system outside of what the Force boys are entitled to, I would have to assume that other semi-pro athletes that have been contracted will be released? If there aren't many games for them to play why stick around

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
I don't think anyone's trying to jab here Kiap,
Jab away, brutha. The sweet science keeps this place going.

joining a rebel competition at its very beginning is a risky business for players and coaches. In any sport, it's either a success or an abject failure. See World Series Cricket, Super League War and Rebel Tours of South Africa in the 80's/90's. It's a risky business.

High chance that players who have signed on to compete in GRR with whatever union, outside of the Western Force, aren't going to get paid. In fact, unless Twiggy is really wanting to keep them all on board and pay all of their salaries while they do nothing but train for a year, they'll probably head back to club-land? Maybe you know more than we do?
Dunno. Let's see.

First off, Rapid Rugby is not a "rebel competition". World Rugby, RA (Asia), RA (the other one) and NZR gave it a green light to go ahead.

Okay. But, surely, the players must have a high chance of not being paid. Their options "in fact" are to be paid to do nothing but train all year –or– go back to clubland …

Well, no. Players will still be needed for some paid exhibition matches, as well as playing club. Plus, with a 10 week regular season, it was always a case of guys returning to where they came. Otago for the Mitre-10 Cup, for example. It's not a year-round thing.

In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
I would have to assume
When you have no idea you … don't have to … assume :)

outside of what the Force boys are entitled to, I would have to assume that other semi-pro athletes that have been contracted will be released?
Hmmm, so they will be contractually released without pay.

… If you're sticking to the "high chance" these players won't get paid.

G

GingerBreadCrab

Jab away, brutha. The sweet science keeps this place going.

Dunno. Let's see.

First off, Rapid Rugby is not a "rebel competition". World Rugby, RA (Asia), RA (the other one) and RNZ gave it a green light to go ahead.

Okay but surely, the players must have a high chance of not being paid, with their options "in fact" to be paid to do nothing but train all year –or– go back to clubland. Well, no. Players will still be needed for some paid exhibition series matches as well as playing club. Plus with a 10 week regular season, it was always a case of guys returning to where they came after that as well, e.g. to Otago for the M10 Cup. It's not a rear-round thing.

In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.
“Rebel competition” doesn’t have the negative connotations you’re attaching to it mate. Sometimes it’s a good thing! Which is why I used examples like World Series Cricket. It changed the way the game is played and watched forever. It’s simply a competition or an organisation that is created in the face of adversity and to counter what the centralised powers are doing. Trust me, I want rugby in WA to succeed and have seen first-hand what the rugby environment at Floreat is like. There’s no reason for you to not be included going forward and the Force should never have been axed. My heart hurt when that happened too.

Specifically speaking about the semi-pro players that are now contracted to be a part of an “exhibition” series, basically one game, where they thought they would be playing a fully organised season. What do they do? Are they paid out in full, and allowed to return to clubland or (for some) ITM cup level competitions? Are they released with a small sum and told “see you in 12 months, hopefully your form stays good” or are they asked to stick around in Malaysia/Singapore/Hong Kong (wherever) and paid a full salary while they train for 12 months (probably not even possible without burnout) just to be ready when they’re summoned by the Force? Their careers would stagnate terribly!

[EDIT] In fact, further to the “Rebel” tag, I think the supporters of WA Rugby revelled in the description originally. It was aggressively marketed as a big “f*ck you” to the east coast who had sneakily combined to give the Force the boot. This is why sometimes I get a bit frustrated reading comments in here that smash GeeRob for her use of the term and the hivemind of assuming that everyone on the east coast refuses to think that we can fathom that anything exists West of the border. A lot of us also think it’s bullshit and are just as heartbroken as you all are. For a lot of us, it was a legitimate pathway and some of us made careers in Perth. Unfortunately, I don’t have a seat inside the boardroom, so I don’t get to make big decisions like this.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
“Rebel competition” doesn’t have the negative connotations you’re attaching to it mate. Sometimes it’s a good thing!
Of course it can be a good thing.

It's just not accurate in this case now.
Specifically speaking about the semi-pro players that are now contracted to be a part of an “exhibition” series, basically one game
Are they … allowed to return to clubland or (for some) ITM cup level competitions?
they train for 12 months (probably not even possible without burnout)
May be one game. Could be more.

But, again, Rapid Rugby players were always going to be free to play Mitre10/NRC/Currie Cup/wherever after the season.

This was never a 12 month comp.

Are they paid out in full … released with a small sum … paid a full salary while they train … ?
It was your claim there was a "high chance" these players won't get paid.

You tell me!

smash GeeRob for her use of the term and the hivemind of assuming that everyone on the east coast refuses to think that we can fathom that anything exists West of the border. A lot of us also think it’s bullshit and are just as heartbroken as you all are.
Jabs got a mention earlier. It's sparring with words – nothing to worry about or wrong with it when kept to the facts, and I prefer Queensberry rules.

You'll notice Geerob is no longer calling rapid rugby a "rebel" league, but she was doing so for a long while after the comp was sanctioned. She can take a tap for what she writes, like any male journalist.

Fairly and factually aimed, of course, not below the belt. :)

Although in Perth now, I am from the east coast, btw (well, I'm from a lot of places …)