• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Global Rapid Rugby

Aurelius

Ted Thorn (20)
Anyway, one of the benefits of GRR is how it could improve the depth of the Pacific nations. Lo and behold, four GRR players (three from the Force, one from the Dragons) have been called up for Samoa:

3 western force players in Samoa PNC (Pacific Nations Cup) squad

The Manu Samoa squad for the Pacific Nations Cup will assemble on the 14th of July in Auckland from rugby clubs around the world.

Manu Samoa 7s player Johnny Vaili is one of three local Samoan players in the squad of 33, along with his teammate Tofatuimoana Solia and Savai’i Vikings tighthead prop Alofaaga Sao.

Manu Samoa head coach Vaeluaga Steve Jackson said the 24-year-old outside back Vaili thoroughly deserves his place based on the performances he put in over the 2019 World Rugby Sevens Series.

Manu Samoa 7s and A'ana Chiefs back Johnny Vaili is set to make his Manu Samoa 15s debut during the Pacific Nations Cup in July and August. (Photo: Aufa'i Areta Areta)

“He’s what, six foot five or six, he’s fast, and defends.”

Vaeluaga said he is conscious of the Manu facing Northern Hemisphere sides at the Rugby World Cup in September, along with their propensity to kick, and how Vaili’s famously high dropkicks could fit the team.

“He’s got a skillset that we like.”

Vaili and Solia will play for the Manu Samoa 7s at the Pacific Games tournament on the 12th and 13th of July, before flying to Auckland to join the 15s camp.

Vaeluaga said they are committed to doing Samoa proud by winning gold at the Games.

“It’s really important that they finish the 7s season with their team.”

The squad also features four players from Global Rapid Rugby; Henry Stowers, AJ Alatimu and Henry Taefu from the Western Force and prop Hisa Sasagi who played for the Asia Pacific Dragons in April, and spent some time with the Blues in Super Rugby.

Vaeluaga said the coaches have been speaking with Sasagi for some time now.

“The other thing is [Manu Samoa forwards coach] Ben Afeaki has been able to work with him within the Blues so he gave us a really good insight into how he’s going.”

He said potential debutant Stowers is one of the players in the squad who are extremely excited.

Western Force loosie Henry Stowers has previously played for Samoa U20 and Samoa A. (Photo: Western Force)

“He can play all three [loose forward] positions, currently playing six but we’d like to see him at seven as well at some point during the Pacific Nations Cup.”

The rest of the squad play their rugby in New Zealand (three players), France (10) and the United Kingdom (13).

Stuff reported last week that French clubs are putting pressure on Samoan players to make themselves unavailable to play at the Rugby World Cup, despite a World Rugby regulation that states clubs must release their players for test rugby, including World Cups.

However in the past clubs have told their international players that their future employment is at risk if they choose to play for their country.

Vaeluaga said it’s a reality they have to deal with.

“Our players have gotta put food on the table for their families, they’ve gotta make some hard decisions.

“Sometimes it’s sad when you’re putting a player in the middle to make those decisions.”

He said everyone in the P.N.C squad comes with the full backing of their club.

“Hence the reason there’s probably a couple of names there that might have been there but aren’t.”
https://www.samoaobserver.ws/category/sport/44248

Congratulations to them all.

Kpc

Herbert Moran (7)
Signal about the possibility of participation of clubs from Krasoyarsk to Rapid Rugby. The head of Russian rugby, Igor Artemyev, at a meeting with the Japanese ambassador to Russia, said about a joint tournament with the Japanese. The Japanese clubs will play Rapid Rugby in the 2020 season. It is logical that Enisei-STM and Krasny Yar can play there. I hope that at the World Cup in Japan, Artemyev will be able to talk in detail about this topic with the Japanese and the founder of Rapid Rugby.
https://rugger.info/news/26523

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Signal about the possibility of participation of clubs from Krasoyarsk to Rapid Rugby. The head of Russian rugby, Igor Artemyev, at a meeting with the Japanese ambassador to Russia, said about a joint tournament with the Japanese. The Japanese clubs will play Rapid Rugby in the 2020 season. It is logical that Enisei-STM and Krasny Yar can play there. I hope that at the World Cup in Japan, Artemyev will be able to talk in detail about this topic with the Japanese and the founder of Rapid Rugby.
https://rugger.info/news/26523

To be honest. I'm more interested by the mention of a European continental league starting 2020/21 at the bottom of the page. Any more detail on that? I've seen mention of it in the past but has more recent and solid info come up?

Kpc

Herbert Moran (7)
To be honest. I'm more interested by the mention of a European continental league starting 2020/21 at the bottom of the page. Any more detail on that? I've seen mention of it in the past but has more recent and solid info come up?

No, no details. They only talked about clubs from Russia, Georgia, Romania and Germany. As I understand it, the Moscow lobby does not want clubs from Krasnoyarsk to participate there. Therefore, for Enisei and Krasny Yar, the only option is Rapid Rugby.

ForceFan

Chilla Wilson (44)
Pleasing to see GRR getting some press in the Northern Hemisphere - this article from Scotland.

Global Rapid Rugby aims to challenge old world order
The Offside Line – Allan Lorimer – 9 July 2019

Former North Berwick HS scrum-half Jamie Lauder experiences the highs of a new competition and game format being pioneered in the Asia Pacific region

Even in the ever-changing world of rugby union, the nine-point try might seem a bit bizarre. So it’s hard to believe that this inflated value of touching down over your opponents’ goal-line is now a selling feature of Global Rapid Rugby, a new competition with amended laws being introduced to the the Asia Pacific region, which, some suggest, might shape the future direction of World Rugby.

If the nine-point try is still a bit alien to most Scots then not to worry. Because out in Hong-Kong, a key driver of Asian rugby, the ‘Power Try’, as it’s being dubbed, is now everyday life to ex-pat and former North Berwick High School scrum half, Jamie Lauder.

Lauder, who played for Edinburgh Under-18s as well captaining Aberdeen University, recently signed a part-time professional contract with the South China Tigers, one of the sides that is showcasing the new competition this year. The 2019 exhibition series will add up to just 14 matches that will feature the Asia Pacific Dragons (Singapore), Fijian Latui (Fiji), Kagifa Samoa (Samoa), South China Tigers (Hong Kong), Western Force (Western Australia).

Then, for 2020, the competition will move into full blown mode by featuring eight teams playing home and away and fighting for a $1 million AUD first prize. The plan is to expand the competition with teams from the east coast of Australia and from New Zealand, as well as Japan and Hawaii.

Back to the nine-point try. “If the attacking team starts a move in its own 22m area and scores without turning the ball over then the nine point try is awarded and no conversion is needed,” explains Lauder. “It’s all about retaining possession and being clever. It’s also very knackering!”

Attack as the best form of defence
To promote attacks from defensive positions, Global Rapid Rugby has altered the law on kicking to touch. In this new format teams can no longer kick the ball directly into touch from their own 22m area. If they do then the the opposition will get the throw-in from the position at which the kick was taken.

“Effectively, now you can’t kick the ball out on the full anywhere on the field without forfeiting advantageous field position and the throw-in,” adds Lauder. “What it all adds up to is a quicker game.”

A number of other variations also add to the match speed, including one minute for a scrum and 45 seconds for a line-out. As a result of the more exhausting speed at which the game is played the authors of Global Rapid Rugby have made each half last only 35 minutes. But, encouragingly, analysis of the games played so far have shown that the ball is in play 30 per cent more than in Super Rugby.

It’s not all basketball rugby, however. The art of kicking has been retained and indeed sharpened. “If you kick from inside your own 10m line and into the opposition 22m area then you get the throw in. The ball, of course, cannot go out on the full but must bounce into touch.”

Another change from the regular game is the use of subs. “You can have ten rolling subs – very useful for props,” notes Lauder. “In this game you need skilful props. The really big boys get caught out by the pace of the game. You could say there is an element of rugby league in it. What is immediately obvious is that the law changes speeds up the game and opens it up.”

Global Rapid Rugby has also sought to encourage adventurous rugby by introducing a different bonus system. In their blurb, the tournament organisers state: “We’ve also upped the ante to incentivise and reward attacking tactics and game style. Bonus points are up for grabs if your team does one or more of the following – Wins by 3 or more tries = 1 bonus point; Scores 4 or more tries in a game = 1 bonus point; Lose by 5 points or less = 1 bonus point.”

Global Rapid Rugby came about following the decision to cut Western Force from the Super Rugby roster for 2018. In order to fill the resultant gap the Australian mining billionaire Andrew Forrest set up a new competition that would be built round Western Force and which, with the help of television, would help spread the game in the Asia Pacific region.

The South China Tigers, who have signed England’s top Premiership scorer, Tom Varndell, as a marquee player, is backed by the Hong Kong Union, “85% of the side qualify for the Hong Kong national team,” says Lauder, who juggles life as a professional rugby player with working for Morgan Stanley. Already this year he has played three times for the Hong Kong team in the Asia Championship in addition to representing Hong Kong last November in the World Cup repechage tournament in which his side finished second to the eventual qualifiers, Canada.

The Global Rapid Rugby competition offers a different challenge especially as it is expected to be expanded next year with teams from Japan and Hawaii being lined up. Moreover there are a number of TV deals in the pipeline
“So far the standard has been very good,” says Lauder, who, because of his work, is currently restricted to playing only home games. “I played in our home game against Asia Pacific Dragons.

Huge potential
At present South China Tigers are the only professional side in Hong Kong. “We have a Premiership of six clubs and now have the one pro-team. The next step in Hong Kong has got to be a pro league,” predicts Lauder.

Certainly, there is the money in Hong Kong from both the world famous sevens tournament and also from the financial and business sector, to bankroll a professional league. Hong Kong is also adding to its expertise in organising rugby events through the local Union running the operations for the Global Rapid Rugby tournament.

“If we hang on to the players we’ll get stronger,” concludes Lauder. “Also there are more players qualifying for Hong Kong and if the chat about the World Cup expanding to 24 teams in 2023 turns out to be correct then we will have a real chance of qualifying. And even with 20 teams we could still make it.”

https://theoffsideline.com/global-r...YT2_EoUD2g4S72VND6AJtWn5ycOzD-hWUPQSy6KKeNi2I

hoggy

Trevor Allan (34)
I am curious to see how this plays out over the next couple of years. It has always been the structural issues that have affected Super rugby, the inability of the competition or operators to adjust to market place demands has essentially been its downfall.

if the competitions run side by side over the next few years, will the ability of GGR to adjust and change be its main advantage considering how Super rugby is essentially a damaged product, it won't take a whole lot for the balance of power to shift.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
If GRR can settle in to some sort of group format a la the two European club competitions, but with a geographical bent, it could start to supplant Super Rugby. The travel's the killer with the current Super Rugby format.

ForceFan

Chilla Wilson (44)
I am curious to see how this plays out over the next couple of years. It has always been the structural issues that have affected Super rugby, the inability of the competition or operators to adjust to market place demands has essentially been its downfall.

if the competitions run side by side over the next few years, will the ability of GGR to adjust and change be its main advantage considering how Super rugby is essentially a damaged product, it won't take a whole lot for the balance of power to shift.

GRR is intended to be a professionally run competition for essentially privately owned teams of professional rugby players with a defined focus on building the game of rugby in the town, countries, within the representative Unions and regions (including all of it's essential aspects - junior & player development, coaching, referees, administration, etc).

SANZAAR and GRR have very little in common apart from the point re professional players.

Forcefield

Ken Catchpole (46)
If GRR can settle in to some sort of group format a la the two European club competitions, but with a geographical bent, it could start to supplant Super rugby. The travel's the killer with the current Super Rugby format.
I think if GRR ever wants to supplant Super Rugby, you'd need FTA coverage. In the current market that would probably mean wealthy private backers until a competition is established. GRR is fortunate in that it has not nearly as much to lose as Super Rugby.

hoggy

Trevor Allan (34)
GRR is intended to be a professionally run competition for essentially privately owned teams of professional rugby players with a defined focus on building the game of rugby in the town, countries, within the representative Unions and regions (including all of it's essential aspects - junior & player development, coaching, referees, administration, etc).

SANZAAR and GRR have very little in common apart from the point re professional players.

But they will ultimately be competing for some of the same eyeballs, that's a lovely little mission statement about fostering growth and all that but with private owners they will want some bang for there bucks, they may have nothing in common but at the end of the day they will be competitors, and in 2,5,10 years only one of them is going to be top dog, in fact I would argue its hard to see both surviving.

But my point was that given private ownership, a good business model, and the flexibility to change and adjust compared to the glazier like movement of SANZAAR (and quite frankly the shambolic way Super rugby is run) I'd put a fiver on GRR being the one left standing.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Still no news on what teams will be in GRR next year ---------can only assume remaining teams still in negotiation….wonder what plan B is if can't get 8 teams for next year sorted....6 team competition?

ForceFan

Chilla Wilson (44)
Still no news on what teams will be in GRR next year ---------can only assume remaining teams still in negotiation….wonder what plan B is if can't get 8 teams for next year sorted..6 team competition?

I reckon Plan A is 6 teams for the kick-off year. KISS to build on the Showcases from this year.
Plan B is 8 but only if the starts align early (but unlikely due to the RWC comings and goings).

Hot goss is a WF game against the Tonga Test side in Tonga before end August.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I reckon Plan A is 6 teams for the kick-off year. KISS to build on the Showcases from this year.
Plan B is 8 but only if the starts align early (but unlikely due to the RWC comings and goings).

Hot goss is a WF game against the Tonga Test side in Tonga before end August.

another kick-off year?

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Thanks FF (Folau Fainga'a)....so if plan A is 6 teams that would mean:
1. Force
2. Fiji
3. Samoa
4. HK
5. Singapore
6. Malaysia

For my mind this would look better if had say:
1. Force
2. Fiji
3. Samoa
4. Japan Team
5. Another Oz team
6. HK

As commercially above looks more attractive then first list. My view is they are making it too hard commercially to be going all in with only one strong commercially attractive proposition (ie WF). And then even more so have say in year 2. Ok Singapore being left out not going to happen, but you get the gist.

1. Force
2. Fiji
3. Samoa
4. Japan team
5. Another oz team
6. HK
7. Singapore
8. NZ team
9. Another japan team

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
another kick-off year?
Just the one.

Playing for coin in the 20s.

gUNmmS5s.jpg

5. Another Oz team
Be good to see.

Remains blocked by Australia (NSW) for 2020.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
hmm - last year oz blocked it because not enough time to get up - that I could accept if true - but to block for next year sounds not good and pretty stupid as while Rome burns and Western Sydney struggles (read West Harbour and Parra 2 blues prop up bottom of shute shield ladder) they turn away private organisation prepared to invest in Western Sydney GRR team.

If that is true I am just gobsmacked

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Yeah, I don't like it but can see why it's so.

RA are yet to roll out another sanzaar/soup arrangement. Until that happens (it's still bumping down the road for now) -- or unless some sort of alternate world league deal is miraculously salvaged -- they don't want to move.

Obviously this has to resolve in the next 12 months or so. If it happens sooner rather than later within that range, well, who knows …