• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Gold Coast 7's - 12 & 13 Oct

Status
Not open for further replies.

biggsy

Chilla Wilson (44)
I just got home from the sevens. Last year was packed this year not so much,
But still a good day.
A lot of fun and great buzz,

vismyr

Peter Burge (5)
Looked like a fabulous day on the GC! Crowds were indeed small, but still seemed to have an atmosphere. Good comeback by Australia to win the next two matches after the botched draw with Scotland. Kudos to Canada for an excellent display. Amazing that the All Blacks Sevens didn't even concede one point throughout the entire first day! Great start to the defence of their Series championship -- go you good thing!

D-Box

Ron Walden (29)
send it over to WA at the new NIB just a short walk into main nightclub precinct. with the number of Kiwis overe here anything they look like doing well in pulls the crowds out.

The GC stadium is a fantastic facility but miles from anywhere. Would be at least half an hour back to Surfers on public transport.

tic

Herbert Moran (7)
send it over to WA at the new NIB just a short walk into main nightclub precinct. with the number of Kiwis overe here anything they look like doing well in pulls the crowds out.

The GC stadium is a fantastic facility but miles from anywhere. Would be at least half an hour back to Surfers on public transport.

Perth pulled just 18000 for a Wallabies test match recently and the Force crowds are poor. So Perth is not the answer. I agree that the GC facility is great but the event is just not drawing crowds. Adelaide didn't do much better and we all know that Sydney people do can't be arsed turning up to anything. Brisbane has to be the answer. It supports the Reds and international rugby in massive numbers. Perhaps a return to Ballymore.

tic

Herbert Moran (7)
Or AAMI Park in Melbourne?

Rebels crowds are poor, it wouldn't work in melbourne. Brisbane has to be the answer - plus Queensland Events has thrown money into this, so they wouldn't want it leaving Queensland.

D-Box

Ron Walden (29)
Fair call - but you did see the weather at the Argies game. It was also the Argies game. If you watch the crowds at the Force games they will be 12-14000 for Aus Derby games 16-18000 for the games v the Saffas and then full house when you bring over the Kiwis.

Everyone is suggesting that it needs to be at a set venue. Is this the case? Can you have it on a rotating schedule? Ballymore one year, SFS the next, Perth, Mel etc. I know if I had the event in my backyard and wouldn't see it for another 6 years I would be. If I know it will be there again next year I may just wait up till then.

p.Tah

John Thornett (49)
Brisbane has to be the answer - plus Queensland Events has thrown money into this, so they wouldn't want it leaving Queensland.
The GC is just down the road (compared to the rest of the country) and the people of Brisbane aren't exactly flocking there. Would it be different if it was in Brisbane? Genuine question.

p.Tah

John Thornett (49)
The Rebels crowds aren't great but neither are the Hurricanes, however the Wellington 7s is massive. Super Rugby attendance isn't necessarily an indicator of interest in 7s.
Not sure why but I'd rather travel to Melbourne than the GC. There is more to do post game.
The thing is that organisers need to have one bumper year. People watch it at home and think it looks fun but the crowds are small. I'll go when others start going. Once it does hit that critical mass point it's going to be hard to get tickets (think Dubai, Wellington and London).

They need to bite the bullet and get people there. Go to youth hostels and round up and many backpackers as possible. Dress them up and give the a free drink voucher. Do local rugby clubs get subsidised tickets for players? If not they should. Extend the olive branch and offer the same subsidies to other local sporting clubs (League, netball, AFL etc.)

Once there is a big year of attendance, the subsequent years will be big as well.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
The GC is just down the road (compared to the rest of the country) and the people of Brisbane aren't exactly flocking there. Would it be different if it was in Brisbane? Genuine question.

The successful Sevens venues seem to be those that are close to other entertainment options and with a big local support base (or be attractive to fans who are prepared to travel in and stay locally). Brisbane fans who want to party at the Sevens would have to stay on the GC. So the question of whether or not they would attend the Sevens, if it was at Suncorp (say) is moot.

SevensPhD

Chris McKivat (8)
Skilled Park, as a stadium, is wonderful. Perfect size, great pitch, and great sight lines for spectators.

Skilled Park as a venue for 7s is awful: too far from any bars that allows people to come and go throughout the 10 hour day, hard to get to (no parking, long bus rides), and the eastern stand (the stand on TV most the time) is completely sun soaked - blinding and baking those stubborn enough to stay over there.

Although I live on the GC, I'd like to see the 7s moved to Melbourne. Sydney has enough rugby and also a rusted-on rugby crowd that will not sell out an All Blacks test. The Rebels attendance is terrible, because they are terrible. But the 7s is a boutique event, and Melbourne has a good history of selling boutique events.

Further, I'd like to travel to Melbourne once a year, and the 7s are a great excuse. I am sure others would prefer Melbourne, say in February - to pair with the IRB Wellie 7s stop, over the Goldie. The Goldie is a beach/party vacation, not so much a sporting vacation.

Further, Melbourne has the population base to draw from.

Further, AAMI Park is closer to bars (for day trips) and the nightlife offers more than the schoolies party scene in the Goldie.

Finally, the 7s during the Melbourne Commonwealth Games was a hot ticket.

On another note, other than the 5 min lapse against Scotland, the Aussies looked very good. Well structured, fit, and solid on defense. Maloof is the real deal. Shannon Walker is getting much better, and is a threat to score on any play! USA looked like shit.

T

TOCC

Yes a massive difference... Just think about Sydney and how you have people reluctant just to travel to sporting stadiums on the other side oft town..

Not saying it would be a success in Brisbane, but it would definelty attract a different crowd.

T

TOCC

Rebels crowds are poor, it wouldn't work in melbourne. Brisbane has to be the answer - plus Queensland Events has thrown money into this, so they wouldn't want it leaving Queensland.

Events Queensland has had its budget cut, wouldn't be surprised if they dropped the funding..

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
A victory over Samoa is not easy at the best of times, especially after going to sleep in the second half against the Single Malts.

The boys will be going into day 2 with confidence.

The Kenyans are no easy beats, although they do not seem as good as they were last season. Beat them and we are likely to face a red hot Saffer Mob in the Semis.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
It is going to be warmer today, which should play in our favour (if we get past the Kenyans, that is) against the Saffers and, let us hope, the Keewees.

We can win this.

biggsy

Chilla Wilson (44)
It feels like a smaller crowd so far today....

Should move the tournament to Brisbane,
Titans dont even 1/4 fill this stadium at times let alone playing Rugby 7's.

Sucks because it a brilliant stadium...

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
The successful Sevens venues seem to be those that are close to other entertainment options and with a big local support base (or be attractive to fans who are prepared to travel in and stay locally). Brisbane fans who want to party at the Sevens would have to stay on the GC. So the question of whether or not they would attend the Sevens, if it was at Suncorp (say) is moot.

This.
The stadium is not close to anything of note. I was at Surfers yesterday and the place was packed. Did not see any buses advertised as heading there.

Google maps says 25 min drive from Surfers to the stadium. Suncorp is 5 minute walk to bars and double that from the city.

Status
Not open for further replies.