• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Highlanders v Reds Good Friday 29th March

Status
Not open for further replies.

something

Jim Clark (26)
what i took out of the game
- reds are starting to get their act together
- gill should be in the wobs

then the obvious stuff like genia is actually a pretty okay-ish player i guess, to an extent...

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
2. Holmes, Hanson, Slipper is definitely Reds best front row. The scrum was good until Daley replaced Holmes, then it fell apart. As good as Daley & S Faainga are around the paddock, they just can't scrummage well enough at this level.

Don't agree Froggy. Saia's scrum work this year has been solid. The Reds front row have been no worse with his inclusion. That is no disrespect to Chibba as both hookers do their job well.

Holmes is a good prop and my first choice at the Reds. In fairness to Daley it was his first game back. His work at his first scrum played a big role in the Genia try. Let's just wait and see if his scrum work has improved as only time will tell. Good players improve and I would rate Daley a good player.

Overall I think the Reds set piece has come on well this year.

redstragic

Alan Cameron (40)
Overall I think the Reds set piece has come on well this year.

Last weekend we were watching the Reds scrum do really well against the Bulls monster scrum. I think we can compete with the best in the comp this year.

Sent from my GT-P5100 using Tapatalk 2

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
The player I feel sorry for is Moz. Got his start this week but didn't have a great game.

For his own high standards I also thought Ant was a bit off tonight.

Back row looked fantastic again. Just worked and worked and worked all night. Gill is something special.

Kev looked good again and with Simmo, they make a good combiation. Quade looks to be underplaying his game. Let the shackles off fella and play naturally.

biggsy

Chilla Wilson (44)
Been stuck watching the NRL at a BBQ. It has reignited the hatred I have for that boring fucken game.

Now to enjoy my Rum without being nervous and anxious of another tight win. Good luck to the Folks around me in a few weeks at the home game with the Brumbies if its close. Might start Tacking RED krill oil for my heart...... Or stop drinking Rum.

Also 1 from 1 at the Highlanders new Stadium, Fuck the old 32year old hoodoo, irrelevant now...

The Red Baron

Chilla Wilson (44)
Nice strong running from Shipperley tonight.

Agreed. Ships had a bloody good game tonight. He was consistently threatening the line every time he received the ball. Ran hard, ran into gaps, and asked questions of the defence. He was very solid defensively too. I love an outside back that will use his size and speed when on the attack.

I think part of the reason that Morahan had such a quiet game was that the attacking raids the Reds launched down the side were invariably on Shipperleys' wing.

Realistically, Diggers and Shipperley are our first choice wingers.

thierry dusautoir

Alan Cameron (40)
Has anyone got the vibe as well that maybe quirk and schatz should swap?

I know it doesn't matter in the scheme of things but....I just think it would be better

The Red Baron

Chilla Wilson (44)
Not really. I actually think that Schatz is coming on quite nicely at 8.

Quirk to me is stuck between developing his own game and 'playing like Higgers'. 6 is his best position though. And he does tend to play quite tight and relishes the contact area.

redveincheese

Billy Sheehan (19)
Ed is fine at 6, Albert should have come on instead of Daley, sorry Ben. No disrespect meant from me, re the Blacks win at RC 2011. I am just f#cin hating the calls this year from the boys in pink. I know their doin their best, but they NEED some leadership.

Sent Via pissed talk from a happy reds fan, good friday

T

TOCC

Poor choice if color in the refs outfit as well, sitting 10m away from a slightly grainy tv at the pub made it slightly difficult to tell him apart from the Reds themselves....

Wouldn't be surpised if some players who caught him in their peripheral vision thought the same thing.

Country Kid

Chris McKivat (8)
Great away win by the Reds with some impressive attack in the first half. Reds defence looks well organised - but lacked intensity at times.

Frustratingly, they nodded off at times to allow the Highlanders to still be in touch at half time. Genia was superb and he looks sharper and keener than before his injury - though his post try 'kick the ball away' wasn't a good look because it looked like he was saying... okay its all over, we've won. The Highlanders immediately lifted and the Reds had a hard time holding on for the win.

If the Reds can elimate their the dud periods from their game they will be seriously hard to beat.

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
Reds have to stop fading, it's one thing for a second-half fade like the Brumbies had the other week when there is horrible weather but the Reds had no excuse in an indoor stadium.

Genia will go down as one of the best #9s to ever touch a rugby ball.

Agreed. Ships had a bloody good game tonight. He was consistently threatening the line every time he received the ball. Ran hard, ran into gaps, and asked questions of the defence. He was very solid defensively too. I love an outside back that will use his size and speed when on the attack.

I think part of the reason that Morahan had such a quiet game was that the attacking raids the Reds launched down the side were invariably on Shipperleys' wing.

Realistically, Diggers and Shipperley are our first choice wingers.

His running style is really reminiscent of Corey Jane, his wide base makes him incredibly hard to take off his feet. He makes guys 'hula-hoop' off his waist pretty regularly if he has a step or two to get going.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Great away win by the Reds with some impressive attack in the first half. Reds defence looks well organised - but lacked intensity at times.

Frustratingly, they nodded off at times to allow the Highlanders to still be in touch at half time. Genia was superb and he looks sharper and keener than before his injury - though his post try 'kick the ball away' wasn't a good look because it looked like he was saying. okay its all over, we've won. The Highlanders immediately lifted and the Reds had a hard time holding on for the win.

If the Reds can elimate their the dud periods from their game they will be seriously hard to beat.
Ummm - they were still in touch at full time.
Not sure a defence that misses such crucial tackles deserves to be called well organised even if the players are in theoretically perfect position.
Highlands are not a gun team so that victory is no more than encouraging.
Still they were coming off a tough victory the week before with travel.
Bowside I wonder what odds Tommy Waterhouse would give for Cooper straightening out his mind.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
That last 20min weren't called for. I was enjoying a relaxing Good Friday and then had to deal with that.

In my eyes there were a few things of note tonight.
  • I thought Schatz had a really good game. He still has a really high work rate but is looking to carry the ball more and is more effective in doing so.
  • Gill is outstanding. His on ball skills are exceptional
  • Genia is back. He is showing no ill effects of his long lay off
  • Horwill is the heart of the team. I don't think it a coincidence that he goes off and the Highlanders come back into the game
  • Cooper's head isn't right just yet. Early on he had 2 opportunities to run into a hole he made and didn't take it. He needs to take these opportunities as it frees up his outside men later in the game.
Overall it's great to get a BP win in NZ. 2 wins over Kiwi teams is a nice record to have. Wins over teams in other conferences lift the value of the Aussie conference.

Status
Not open for further replies.