• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

IRB Fine ARU for Haka Disrespect

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-union/u...nks-before-bledisloe-test-20100909-153c9.html

As one with a smattering of Maori ancestry I have always enjoyed the Haka. My only allegiance is to Oz though and this preciousness requiring official protection from the IRB is going to far. If the Polynesian sides want to have their ceremonies before the game that is good, its adds to the culture and atmosphere of our game. But this is just crap, tell them where to go or just do a Campo and go behind the goal line and ignore the whole thing.

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
Yeah, I read this and was torn between ignoring it and taking it seriously.

If we take it seriously, then the fuckwits here are not the AllBlack players but some **** at the iRB or NZRU that has decided this.

P.S. No fucking way do we pay the fine.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
Unless you punch an AB, like some have suggested, or physically or emotionally abuse them during a haka anything else is fine.

It adds to the atmosphere to see the haka advance on, ignored or smiled at (Burgeo). It creates a talking point. If someone tries to intimidate in a way that isn't literally with their rugby skill or physical prowess, you don't HAVE to sit their like good little boys and observe.

There is nothing in the rugby rulebook about a war dance or the treatment of a war dance. Anything that you can go home at night not feeling like a dickhead about is fine.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
Got no choice but to take it seriously the ARU has been fined FFS. You are right that some fool is responsible for this at IRB level, but why did they form that view in the first place. Armbands are called for surely.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
For fuck sake the haka is a challange, we should be getting up in their face and saying we will not be intimidated. There is nothing disrespectful about that response. Ask RM and I bet he will say the same.

The silly old farts that occupy the IRB should pull their lips over their heads and swallow.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
Got no choice but to take it seriously the ARU has been fined FFS. You are right that some fool is responsible for this at IRB level, but why did they form that view in the first place. Armbands are called for surely.

That money used to pay this bullshit fine could of gone back into the game but now is wasted. We should take this very seriously.

punisher

Bob McCowan (2)
The Scots would have every right to form a line ,pull up their kilts and display the nasty bits in response.
After all it is their cultural heritage....

Moses

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staff member
I wish people would stop disrespecting this ancient tradition that dates back all the way to 2006

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Our NZ friends can fill us in on Haka etiquette, but my understanding is that they don't mind if the opposition has a go back (so long as it doesn't cross the line into a punch up). So a fine is ridiculous. For my money, this is one of the great responses.

[video=youtube;weUHwCjeD7s]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=weUHwCjeD7s[/video]

farva

Vay Wilson (31)
Isnt there a rule about not crossing the half way line during the warm up? If so, regardless of whether the kiwis were doing the haka, and our girls crossed the half way line to respond to it, then they have broken the rules and the fine stands.

Otherwise the ARU needs to tell the IRB to shove it.

Gooch

Fred Wood (13)
Ialso reckon that the haka is a challenge to the opposition and the opposition have the right to respond. Marching forward, as a team, up to the half way should be allowed. Have the ABs been told they can't move forward past their 10m line whilst doing the haka?
The IRB seem once again to be a bunch of so & so's, more interested in themselves than improving and expanding the game of rugby. I can't see any way the ARU can get out of paying the fine, but it should never have been issued.

dave

Stan Wickham (3)
I think it's a preventative measure for the RWC next year. After all they wouldn't want any "culturally insensitive" episodes while their tournament is being watched by the world.
I'm calling shenanigans though. Once again the ABs get to do what they want while the opposition has to stand there and take it. Sounds like what goes on at rucktime.

PDV must be chomping at the bit to yell conspiracy.

AngrySeahorse

Peter Sullivan (51)
Here's the link to the womens world cup game http://www.rwcwomens.com/video/index.html for anyone that wants to see the Wallaroos when they walked forward (at around 00:08:22, may need to download silverlight or whatever its called). Note they advertise briefly the Kazackstan (spell check) game for a few seconds before. I will note that on the link you have to choose the video from the "full match" videos, press the "more" button and you'll find it (cant really tell how far over they went).

With all due respect to culture and all I dont think a team should stand still freezing it's arse off absorbing the mental and physical G-up that it must give the NZ opposition. You should be able to walk right up and eye ball the opposition. That said regardless of the flogging we copped the black fern haka was cute more than intimidating

At the risk of sounding sarcastic the fine the ARU will have to pay the IRB is probably the most they've given to womens rugby for some time.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
Show any challenge (IRB Fine) proper Australian contempt, Flip the bird (give the finger), open a beer and say "Stick it up your A*&^%$%" .

TheRiddler

Dave Cowper (27)
Maybe time for a bit of crowd reaction tomorrow night during the AB Nutcracker Suite to show what we all think of this ridiculous decision from the leather-patch brigade.

Status
Not open for further replies.