• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

IRB Fine ARU for Haka Disrespect

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scorz

Syd Malcolm (24)
Gagger, go and read the start of the thread before you think I have a problem with doing it or not doing it - again, I think it should only be done at home. But when you are expected to do it, and then told when you're allowed to do it and hen they change when they wanted you to do it too, it strikes me as rude.

suckerforred

Chilla Wilson (44)
For fuck sake the haka is a challange, we should be getting up in their face and saying we will not be intimidated. There is nothing disrespectful about that response. Ask RM and I bet he will say the same.

The silly old farts that occupy the IRB should pull their lips over their heads and swallow.

With you there Ruggo. I would have thought that advancing on the haka would have been accepting the challange, and therefore respecting the ceromony. What the IRB is doing butting in I have no idea.

Does it just demonstrate the influence that NZR have over the international game? (Oh bugger, have I called them into distrapute again???)

Thin Thighs

Ted Fahey (11)
A Maori mate of mine tells me that the haka is a personal and group/tribe thing.

In the real olden days, it was performed as a display of manliness and readiness for war - a real challenge to try and scare the bad guys off.
The bad guys responded to the challenge with their own tribal haka. Again posturing to show that they weren't scared, and in fact it was the home team who should be worried.

A fairly standard bit of a male posturing dance routine performed throughout the animal kingdom, and often seen in pubs late at night anywhere around the world when males have a bit too much fighting juice on board.

In some respects, the original intent of the haka, challenge/counter challenge, has been overtaken by the modern society, particularly when the challengee is not properly attune to the maori/polynesian way of doing things. It has become firstly a motivational tool for the AB's (and any other team performing it), and secondly a marketing dream for promoters of the game.

In relation to the first aspect, it doesn't matter if it is done publicly or in the confines of the dressing room. It motivates and focuses NZ teams. Various teams have pre game rituals. Tommy Rudonikis used to bash up lockers in the changing rooms as part of his pre game ritual. Many NZ Teams have their own haka. Each to his own, and whatever turns you on. In the real olden days, there used to be a macho type contest to see who could give the loudest and "ballsiest" 3 cheers calls. This in some minds was an important factor.

Does it give the Darkness an unfair advantage? No. It is simply a pre game ritual (albeit very important culturally to them). At Test level we are dealing with grown up, hardened professionals, who are not intimidated by things such as this.

Does it give something to the paying public? Ken oath, many demand it, and the Darkness are only too happy to oblige.

The old farts in the IRB should pull their heads in and get on with developing the game worldwide, and allow hosting nations to actually make a profit from hosting the tournament, instead of gouging every last cent that they can get from the RWC host nation to pay for their own personal 6 star presidential treatment and gallons of gin'n'tonnix and pimms.

Scorz

Syd Malcolm (24)
With you there Ruggo. I would have thought that advancing on the haka would have been accepting the challange, and therefore respecting the ceromony. What the IRB is doing butting in I have no idea.

Does it just demonstrate the influence that NZR have over the international game? (Oh bugger, have I called them into distrapute again???)

Nah, demonstrates how far PC bullshit has gone, but you can have a straw since you grasped so well.

Kangaroo Sausage

Peter Burge (5)
A Maori mate of mine tells me that the haka is a personal and group/tribe thing.

In the real olden days, it was performed as a display of manliness and readiness for war - a real challenge to try and scare the bad guys off.
The bad guys responded to the challenge with their own tribal haka. Again posturing to show that they weren't scared, and in fact it was the home team who should be worried.

A fairly standard bit of a male posturing dance routine performed throughout the animal kingdom, and often seen in pubs late at night anywhere around the world when males have a bit too much fighting juice on board.

In some respects, the original intent of the haka, challenge/counter challenge, has been overtaken by the modern society, particularly when the challengee is not properly attune to the maori/polynesian way of doing things. It has become firstly a motivational tool for the AB's (and any other team performing it), and secondly a marketing dream for promoters of the game.

In relation to the first aspect, it doesn't matter if it is done publicly or in the confines of the dressing room. It motivates and focuses NZ teams. Various teams have pre game rituals. Tommy Rudonikis used to bash up lockers in the changing rooms as part of his pre game ritual. Many NZ Teams have their own haka. Each to his own, and whatever turns you on. In the real olden days, there used to be a macho type contest to see who could give the loudest and "ballsiest" 3 cheers calls. This in some minds was an important factor.

Does it give the Darkness an unfair advantage? No. It is simply a pre game ritual (albeit very important culturally to them). At Test level we are dealing with grown up, hardened professionals, who are not intimidated by things such as this.

Does it give something to the paying public? Ken oath, many demand it, and the Darkness are only too happy to oblige.

The old farts in the IRB should pull their heads in and get on with developing the game worldwide, and allow hosting nations to actually make a profit from hosting the tournament, instead of gouging every last cent that they can get from the RWC host nation to pay for their own personal 6 star presidential treatment and gallons of gin'n'tonnix and pimms.

Geez, thats such an informed, reasonable, honest, unbiased and accurate post about the Haka that i can hardly believe you're Australian.

Someone needs to buy you a beer.

MajorlyRagerly

Trevor Allan (34)

Only an <insert insult here> could somehow turn and IRB fine which NOBODY in NZ agree's with into further proof/evidence of NZR having too larger influence over the international game.

Seriously, it takes all types.

G

Goldenone

The Haka !!!

Having watched and faced ( many years ago) the Haka over the years it amazes me with all this talk that during the World Cup the Haka is not to be challenged.Correct me if I am wrong but this is a challenge/threat call it what you like.That being the case, shouldn'tany bloke worth his salt stand up to any physical challenge??The other thing that might need an answer is why are caucasian chaps performing a Maori challenge ( the majority of the current All Black team are caucasian) as well aas members of other Polynesian countries that perform their own pre-match challenges !!!?? Curious.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
I love it when an opposing team faces up & advances, to me it adds to the atmosphere.
Whats wrong with a fuck you, you are not going to intimidate me?
Also don't understand why some people wring their hands about the haka with the throat slitting.
It's all getting a bit too PC.
Let the AB's do whatever haka they wish, let the opponents respond to the challenge as they wish.

whatty

Bob Loudon (25)
The strange thing is I agreed with most of the posts made by the kiwis on the TSF site about "It's a challange For Gawd sake" but the over sensitive soft cocks they are banned me I presume for making a joke that the testosterone would boil over and get out of hand by one team or another and then what!

Anyway I always enjoy a bit of light entertainment before a meal so bring it on.

Scorz

Syd Malcolm (24)
Don't worry whatty you can Kiwi-bash here it's legal. Go on, get stuck into the country that has accepted you with open arms. You poor dear.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Don't worry whatty you can Kiwi-bash here it's legal. Go on, get stuck into the country that has accepted you with open arms. You poor dear.

I chuckle, Scorz, given the number of vitriolic posters at TSF who just happen to live in Oz, and seem to suffer incredibly under the duress. Many poor dears.

disco

Chilla Wilson (44)
The Australians will have a barbie before negotiating lucrative singing and TV contracts in the UK. They will then invite their mates to come and live with them in Shepherds Bush before beating up all the women on the touchline.

Why are Aussies always branded as wife bashers when it's a fact that in Scotland & New Zealand domestic violence soars up when ever the Glasgow derby is on & when the All Blacks lose.

Status
Not open for further replies.