• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

IRB Fine ARU for Haka Disrespect

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scorz

Syd Malcolm (24)
Is this is a reverse conspiracy theory? That the iRB are trying to take the Haka out of the game, by setting down a rule that says you must stand still while it is being performed? And that would be ... um, let's see, because the Haka helps New Zealand to win and they don't want New Zealand to win?

If I have a couple more beers I'm sure this will start to make sense to me.
Standing there and not doing anything takes the Haka out of the game. It's when teams concentrate on "nullifying" the Haka the wheels fall off. The 10m should allow teams to get through the third verse of our anthem (Haka) and remember to play their game, thus achieving the nullification... ;)

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)
Standing there and not doing anything takes the Haka out of the game. It's when teams concentrate on "nullifying" the Haka the wheels fall off. The 10m should allow teams to get through the third verse of our anthem (Haka) and remember to play their game, thus achieving the nullification... ;)

When the Italians stood in a huddle instead of a line facing the haka, was it considered disrespect?

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
What a load of crap.

Kiwis, you can do what you like on your side of the pitch and we'll do what we like on ours. If you want to do your dance, go ahead. We'll react as we see fit.

The IRB has got the whole thing so wrong.

BTW - I find those sorts of things either amusing or motivational when I see them (certainly not intimidating). I don't think it gives one team or other an advantage.

Totally agree. This is one of those annoying non-issues that seems to hijack the game every now and then. I couldn't give a rats arse what the All Blacks do to motivate themselves before kick-off and nor do I care about what the response is from their opposition (so long as it doesn't end in a punch up). And I say this as someone who likes the tradition of the Haka.

The administrators of sports seem to get their knickers in a twist about the least important issues of the day. The IRB are no different.

G

Gogguy

I feel for you folks, a totally daft action by the IRB, that money will no doubt effect grass roots more than the pro game. I took my wife to see Wales v The All Blacks a couple of years ago for a Friday night game at the Millennium Stadium one of our Autumn international games, and we were both looking forward to seeing the Haka. Alas the AB's decided to do it in the changing room, why because the WRU had suggested that they do the haka first and then let us counter with our anthem Mae Hen Wlad Fy Nhadau, as per the first time the tradition of sing anthems at test matches (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haka_(sports) ) Result 60 odd thousand disappointed rugby fans.

Moses

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staff member
I was asking seriously, and of course it didn't. It's the bloody Italians.

Was this the game Italy lost 20-6 on the back of a dominant scrum for which Tialata got sin binned and ended with Paddy crying about Stu Dickinson penalising the weaker scrum?

Moses

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staff member
I feel for you folks, a totally daft action by the IRB, that money will no doubt effect grass roots more than the pro game. I took my wife to see Wales v The All Blacks a couple of years ago for a Friday night game at the Millennium Stadium one of our Autumn international games, and we were both looking forward to seeing the Haka. Alas the AB's decided to do it in the changing room, why because the WRU had suggested that they do the haka first and then let us counter with our anthem Mae Hen Wlad Fy Nhadau, as per the first time the tradition of sing anthems at test matches (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haka_(sports) ) Result 60 odd thousand disappointed rugby fans.

That was very poor form by the Kiwis, they are far too precious about their little dance and throw toys out of the cot at the first opportunity.

naza

Alan Cameron (40)
I reckon we're the only country where our TV station throws thousands of microphones into the Haka to make it sound 100 times louder and more intimidating than it is.

Enough of that shit.

Moses

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staff member
I don't mind the TV stations sticking the mics around it, it makes good television and chicks dig it.
What really pisses me of is the stadium pumping it through their sound system to build 'atmosphere'.

When the blecks played in RSA you could only hear the crowd during the haka. Was awesome.

Scorz

Syd Malcolm (24)
That was very poor form by the Kiwis, they are far too precious about their little dance and throw toys out of the cot at the first opportunity.
I was there for that game. Let me just add a very pertinent point to the mix: The WRUins asked for the AB's to do the Haka after the anthem in 2005 on the understanding it was the last time they would ask. Then they asked again in 2006. So, not really poor form as much as a bit pissed off by the Welsh trying it on.

Scorz

Syd Malcolm (24)
Was this the game Italy lost 20-6 on the back of a dominant scrum for which Tialata got sin binned and ended with Paddy crying about Stu Dickinson penalising the weaker scrum?
Yeah the beginning of the WRRC (Worldwide Rugby Refereeing Conspiracy).

S

Sudaca

Maybe the other team should do what a team (i actually think it was the wallabies) on the classic world cup in Bahamas, after the Haka, they did the 'Macarena'

The boks a Zulu dancing, the USA should do a rain dance led by a cherokee, The poms can do a Freddy mercury singing Barcelona ?

Gagger

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Staff member
I was there for that game. Let me just add a very pertinent point to the mix: The WRUins asked for the AB's to do the Haka after the anthem in 2005 on the understanding it was the last time they would ask. Then they asked again in 2006. So, not really poor form as much as a bit pissed off by the Welsh trying it on.

What's poor form is when invited to play at someone's ground, you think you have the right to do your dance when you want. Wales should just keep calling the petulant bluff.

Kidstuff.

And according to the guy who posted that clip on YouTube it was 1979

MajorlyRagerly

Trevor Allan (34)
The NZRFU are damned if do & damned if dont on the haka issues.

Seems all media from around the world doesn't want it, and calls for it to be banned etc & then if it's not done, all the fans get pissed off. Can't win.

Do agree though - on away soil, it's under their terms, on home soil, it's under our terms. Having said that, if don't like the away terms (for whatever reason) then simply don't do it (a right they exercised). Although, I can't for the life of me understand why the WRFU thought the pre match procession would flow nicely by doing anthem, haka, anthem.

The IRB fine is a joke though - you won't find a kiwi that disagrees with that.

Scorz

Syd Malcolm (24)
What's poor form is when invited to play at someone's ground, you think you have the right to do your dance when you want. Wales should just keep calling the petulant bluff.

Kidstuff.
Come over to my place for dinner and do your cultural dance that everyone likes... when I say, not when we agreed, cause it's my house? Yeah, real grown up.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member

Sorry Scorz, do you mean "before" the anthem, 'cos I am a bit lost otherwise??
In general, if various Unions do not want the Haka performed when they host the ABs, then I reckon they have the right to ask the ABs not to do it.
I don't think that would be a great idea, though.

Gagger

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Staff member
Come over to my place for dinner and do your cultural dance that everyone likes... when I say, not when we agreed, cause it's my house? Yeah, real grown up.

So they should be able to tell you when to do it when they come to New Zealand then?

Or is the truth you just think you should do it whenever the fuck you want and no one should question it, or you'll have a flounce in your dressing room?

Anyway, as I read it they were just looking to sing a welsh hymn after the haka, just like John Williamson (unfortunately in some eyes) did Waltzing Matilda.What the big fucking problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.