• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Ireland v Australia, Dublin, 16 Nov 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
I don't think we should get too excited that any particular combo at 1-3 is "the best". I think it is pretty obvious that Kepu was better in the scrum than Alexander.
Slipper was much better in all facets this week, so kudos to him. Robinson scrummed very well, especially with TPN, but Ireland had a "green" front row then, so hard to know.
I think it makes far better sense to start Kepu than finish with him, start Moore for his all-round goodness, and bring TPN (or Fainga'a) on to sub. If TPN gets back to his best (hard to comment on scant evidence so far) then I'd put him ahead of Fainga'a.
So, I reckon Slipper / Moore / Kepu to start with Robinson / TPN / Ryan or Alexander (maybe) on the bench.
We also can't ignore that the back 5 are working better as a unit, which must be a factor.

Richo

John Thornett (49)
I don't think we should get too excited that any particular combo at 1-3 is "the best". I think it is pretty obvious that Kepu was better in the scrum than Alexander.
Slipper was much better in all facets this week, so kudos to him. Robinson scrummed very well, especially with TPN, but Ireland had a "green" front row then, so hard to know.
I think it makes far better sense to start Kepu than finish with him, start Moore for his all-round goodness, and bring TPN (or Fainga'a) on to sub. If TPN gets back to his best (hard to comment on scant evidence so far) then I'd put him ahead of Fainga'a.
So, I reckon Slipper / Moore / Kepu to start with Robinson / TPN / Ryan or Alexander (maybe) on the bench.
We also can't ignore that the back 5 are working better as a unit, which must be a factor.

Totally agree. I think the only thing we can definitively say about our scrum is that it's improving. Hopefully we've seen the nadir. Combinations are a work in progress. To my mind, Slipper had his best game in months and Robinson did well off the bench but nowhere near enough to displace him. I think we'll see 1. Slipper 17. Robinson for the near future (resting and injury excepted). If Slipper keeps playing that way, I'm fine with that. Having a scrummager like Robinson to come on for the last 20 is pretty handy.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Having a scrummager like Robinson to come on for the last 20 is pretty handy.

The scrum contest is usually well over by the last 20 minutes. That might be the time for a young ball playing LHP to come on (Salesi Manu, for example).

However, that said, until we are as certain as we can be that Slipper is the goods, we need Robinson on the bench. If he is really needed, it will be a lot earlier than the last few minutes of the game. Remember Argentina?

Richo

John Thornett (49)
The scrum contest is usually well over by the last 20 minutes. That might be the time for a young ball playing LHP to come on (Salesi Manu, for example).

However, that said, until we are as certain as we can be that Slipper is the goods, we need Robinson on the bench. If he is really needed, it will be a lot earlier than the last few minutes of the game. Remember Argentina?

Yes, you're right about him being needed if Slipper blows. But I was also thinking about ensuring that we don't give away a bunch of shitty penalties in the final minutes. If nothing else, Robinson is unlikely to do that when he comes on. That's handy.

Rugby follower

Watty Friend (18)
Just a few observations from the game:

- camaraderie of the squad is excellent (have a look at the reserves swarm Cummins after he scored the first try). I am sure this is a Link trait;
- Folau is a sensation, he is so far ahead of the 15's we have had lately, I am genuinely hoping that they will kick it to him, especially a high ball, as this guy does not drop them and returns with interest;
- Stephen Moore is our most consistent/best forward by far, Hooper may be receiving the acolodaes, but Moore is our number 1 man;
- How bad were Ireland, their retention of ball into the collision was atrocious;
- Matt To'omua is providing a perfect foil for Quade, he is the first 12 for ages that has the complete set of skills, catch, pass, kick, tackle, he has it all. It is like chalk and cheese comparing him with Pat McCabe, he is miles in front;
- Fardy is providing the X factor, I am not sure how you fit in Higginbottam, Fardy, Pocock/Hooper, Mowen and then throw in Gill. Surely this is a welcome headache for the selectors when everyone is fit;
- the work rate of the Pigs was well above previous games, Horwill and Simmons, provided much more than their ordinary efforts so far;
- I am much happier when Will is just passing, I thought that part of his game was on song last night, his kicking game was ordinary.

Overall this is a performance we all should be pretty happy with, solid forward platform followed by expansive back play. OK this is not SA or the Blacks however definitely a big step forward from where we were.

Rugby follower

Watty Friend (18)
One other thing I forgot was Nick Cummins. To be honest I thoughts he was a one trick pony, however he is proving much more than that, his left to right step after receiving the ball from Moore was excellent and he seems to have some geniune speed. Hopefully more good things to come from him with plenty of back up from Tomane etc.

CatchnPass

Vay Wilson (31)
h
I'm a huge fan of TPN in the scrum and around the park, but they have to get on top of his lineout throwing - another penalty for inability to deliver it down the middle. I know he is just back after a lengthy lay off, but it has been an issue with the Tahs for some time. Good to read yesterday that he intends to have some regard for self preservation going forward though - he's too valuable to be getting hauled off on a stretcher every 2nd match.

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
- How bad were Ireland, their retention of ball into the collision was atrocious;

Yeah, on reflection we were down to 14 men for 18 minutes of the game and they couldn't score a try. I'm still pretty worried about Wales. For some reason, they are the team I want to beat the most on this tour.

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)
Can we stop the reflexive ref bashing? It's fucking boring after a 32-15 victory,

That's a big ask, Richo. I have long had the impression that the principal reason why many people go to/watch games is to gather evidence that satisfies them that their team has been cheated by referees and their assistants, often irrespective of the match result. You feel left out of things if you have nothing to contribute to putting-the-slipper-into-referees conversations.

T

TOCC

I loved To'omua's tackling, hits around the legs and stops them from getting over the gain line.. Sort of reminds me of a young Barnes when he was in form without the 'sookface' following every tackle.

thierry dusautoir

Alan Cameron (40)
I thought Kepu had really good breakdown work last night for a prop? and seemed to be constantly hitting rucks.

Also was anyone else really surprised when Cummins put on the jink for that try.....he is really going as a player

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
Totally agree. I think the only thing we can definitively say about our scrum is that it's improving. Hopefully we've seen the nadir. Combinations are a work in progress. To my mind, Slipper had his best game in months and Robinson did well off the bench but nowhere near enough to displace him. I think we'll see 1. Slipper 17. Robinson for the near future (resting and injury excepted). If Slipper keeps playing that way, I'm fine with that. Having a scrummager like Robinson to come on for the last 20 is pretty handy.

I will be very interested to see what side he plays on in Super Rugby next year at the Reds. I think you are right so I hope he plays consistently on the LH Side. Holmes can play TH so I don't see why it wouldn't be possible.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
I thought Kepu had really good breakdown work last night for a prop? and seemed to be constantly hitting rucks.

Also was anyone else really surprised when Cummins put on the jink for that try...he is really going as a player

I reckon Cummins is more effective a cleaning out at the ruck than half our forwards. Low body height, effective contact and good leg drive.

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
Just a thought, can anyone recount the last time the MOTM also got a yellow card before Hooper last night?

Tordah

Dave Cowper (27)
Wallabies should be behind England by 0.05 ranking points after this weekend, so next weekend hopefully order will be restored and the poms are back where they belong, somewhere outside the top three

@ChargerWA: Read should have gotten MotM a few hours earlier, but they always tend to go with the guy who scores the brace (in this case it was Savea). Same as with your lot where Moore should have gotten MotM

JSRF10

Dick Tooth (41)
Writing this from Dublin Airport Departures with a terrible hangover, you blokes smashed us last night and fully deserved the win. Even the security in the Airport were Aussies and getting abuse leaving your own country isn't a good note to sign off on!

Hooper was outstanding as was Moore, time for BOD to be put out to pasture I think.

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
Yeah, on reflection we were down to 14 men for 18 minutes of the game and they couldn't score a try. I'm still pretty worried about Wales. For some reason, they are the team I want to beat the most on this tour.

I feel the same way. i suspect that reason is the Lions test (which was basically gatland and 3/4 of his welsh players).

lewisr

Bill McLean (32)
Just a thought, can anyone recount the last time the MOTM also got a yellow card before Hooper last night?

What I find hilarious is how often AB players get away with the same shit multiple times in one match without a card. But I digress...

I hope we don't let off and take Scotland for granted. Link needs to maintain his high scoring record against the lower ranked teams as it is all he can lay claim to for the moment.

Status
Not open for further replies.