• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Ireland v Australia, Dublin, 16 Nov 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
Thought Horwill play a good tight lock's game last night.
His ball carrying needs improvement but his tackling, hitting and driving was impressive.
I just watched a replay and the two players that really stood out to me were To'omua and Horwill. Big Kev went poorly in the ratings from all but he got through a mountain of work. He made a lot of tackles, particularly in the first half, as well as hitting a lot of rucks as the second man in cleaning out and securing ball. He had a quiet game with ball in hand but did the grunt work that allowed Fardy and Simmons to play a bit wider.
Stephen Moore looks to be in career best form.
To'omua is the complete 12 and hopefully he will play there at the Brums next year. He is very strong in contact putting in some huge hits on the Irish back row that targeted the 10-12 channel. He also has excellent distribution and kicking skills and is building good partnerships with both Quade and Kuiridrani.
Kyle Godwin is a promising up and comer and will keep the pressure on Matt T. to keep performing.
It was a very good performance from the Wallabies as a team and should give them some confidence moving forward.
Slipper and Simmons also contributed well to the cause and are maturing into good test players. Scotland next week will give us a good opportunity to consolidate combinations before taking on Wales.

emuarse

Desmond Connor (43)
I for one, am starting to feel confident about the long term ability of the Wallabies under MacKenzie.
He has that ability to bring out the best in his players, and will make changes that can be seen at times as ruthless, but never-the-less keeps the respect of his players. They are quietly developing a confidence in their abilities and the stand out players are leading the rest of the team on.
There will probably be further set backs between here and the 2015 world cup, but I foresee a steady improvement which will reflect in an extremely well trained and confident Wallabies moving on.
I'm aware of the saying, "one swallow a summer does not make", but there is more than that to this side.
I see a belief in themselves.
Go the Wallabies!

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I wonder if Will Genia will continue to act as a stepladder for Israel Folau or whether he'll start getting out of the way of the high balls?

Folau's ability to catch pretty much everything is quite amazing. Previously Israel Dagg was head and shoulders above everyone else in his ability to do it consistently but Folau has taken it to another level.

terry j

Ron Walden (29)
why was the scrum that was set for the knock on that disallowed the irish try set on the five metre line and not where the knock on was?

Because the knock on pretty well occurred where the scrum was held you bloody idiot. Why not think before you post you fool.

Writing this from Dublin Airport Departures with a terrible hangover, you blokes smashed us last night and fully deserved the win. Even the security in the Airport were Aussies and getting abuse leaving your own country isn't a good note to sign off on!

Hooper was outstanding as was Moore, time for BOD to be put out to pasture I think.

Very funny, tho I honestly hope it was good natured ribbing rather than abuse!

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
What summed up the weekend for me was a comment made by a transplanted Englishman I work with: "Isn't it great to see the boys play Wallaby rugby again". Like me, he loves running rugby and we both agreed that the men in gold played with some flair but also did the necessary in the tough stuff.

S'UP

Bill Watson (15)
I wonder if Will Genia will continue to act as a stepladder for Israel Folau or whether he'll start getting out of the way of the high balls?

Folau's ability to catch pretty much everything is quite amazing. Previously Israel Dagg was head and shoulders above everyone else in his ability to do it consistently but Folau has taken it to another level.
When will Genia just run away from any kick, everytime he is near a kick it all goes to shit, either he drops it, it bounces or he gets in someones way. Don't start me on the kicks that come from his own foot.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
When will Genia just run away from any kick, everytime he is near a kick it all goes to shit, either he drops it, it bounces or he gets in someones way. Don't start me on the kicks that come from his own foot.

He might be starting to think twice about standing there now that he knows he's likely to cop Folau's knees in his back.

I think it's great that Folau showed such ownership of the role against Ireland and committed to taking the high ball regardless of who else was there.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member

Heh? He's one of the better takers of the high ball in the team.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Zander

Ron Walden (29)
Folau's high ball prowess is great but why isn't it being used more in attacking situations? He was something like 2/2 for the Waratahs on attacking try scoring kicks. You'd back 1 on 1 against anyone else in the world.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Heh? He's one of the better takers of the high ball in the team.

Not running backwards to take them, he isn't. Which is how he's been going at them more often than not. Coming forwards, he's OK. The calling as to who takes the high ball has been pretty crap, although better last weekend as they basically got Izzy to go for most, even when someone else did too!!

D

daz

I do like the fact that Izzy backs himself for the high ball. His chequered code history has really rounded him out with some excellent ball skills.

The way he went over the top of WG to claim a high ball in the Ireland game was superb. I suggest that when a ball goes up, everyone in Gold just gets out of the way.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Not running backwards to take them, he isn't. Which is how he's been going at them more often than not. Coming forwards, he's OK. The calling as to who takes the high ball has been pretty crap, although better last weekend as they basically got Izzy to go for most, even when someone else did too!!

That may be but, like I said, he's still one of the better in the team. Behind izzy obviously but I'd say he's better than the rest maybe marginal with AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper).

Reactions: gel
Status
Not open for further replies.