• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

ISA Rugby 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

stonecutter

Chris McKivat (8)
Stonecutter,
I agree with how good the 7 was and he was a standout.
Oakhills tight five have the exact some build to each other, short and stocky but not fat
2 of those tries were because they ran at Andrews 9 and 10, the other was after Oakhills 12 ran at the Andrews 10 and 12 gap and Andrews 13 came to help and Oakhills 9 threw it straight to a steaming pod of backrows. Also Oakhills lineout isnt that great. Really Oakhills backrows played well because they played a style of game that Andrews cant counter. It will be interesting when they face good backrows in the form of Augustines with Dombkins and Stannies with Culinane

Score in the Stannies game was 49-8 and the backrow did the same job on them too. Should be one of the best schoolboy games this year in any association in rd5 when Oakhill and Auggies clash.

Rugby Tragic

Chris McKivat (8)
ISA U/16 beat CCC 26 points to 19 it was a very good game to watch, some great one on one tussel's. All looking good for next weekend.

Heally

Frank Nicholson (4)
The season so far looks good with some great honest rugby being played. There are some standout players in this comp which is great for rugby. I did see the St Andrew/Oakhill game and it was very convincing and I think the Augustines game will be a cracker. Yesterday Oakhill easily accounted for St. Pats 45-7 with the Oakhill 12 getting the best on ground but there were so many good performances and Pats only scored when 6 regular 1stXV players were replaced. The backrow for Oakhill were honest but I believe they need to maintain discipline or it will cost.

Interested to hear about any other games .

R

rugger

I saw the Oakhill v St Pats match on the weekend. Oakhill dominated in practically all facets of the game. No 1 , Louis Musson was outstanding in both defence and attack. Setting up some great tries. I spoke to some people and Musson has played rugby since Under 6 and was in front row partner with Ezra Amituanai (now at Newington) in juniors. Louis Musson also played in NSW Primary Schools rugby team. Musson is in his second year in Oakhill 1st XV. Musson played very well in ISA seconds that went down narrowly to CHS seconds. Must be a shoe in for ISA firsts this week to give them a bit of starch

no9

Ted Fahey (11)
While ISA came up short of a victory this year (although irrelevant in these games) the players should be congratulated on their efforts. If things are to improve going forward into next year there has to be a serious look at how ISA prepares their representatives to have an equal shot at higher selection. If GPS, CAS and CHS can manage midweek games to allow players a couple of days rest and preperation why can't ISA? That or have a free weekend of the CHS game. A training session closer to the first game would also be of benefit and bring cohesion. You only had to witness the increase in the standard of play today to see the benefits of this. Another problem is the amount of trialists each year.
90 players for 38 positions is too much. For a start let the 2nd div schools have their own trials and let the ISA selectors choose who should then attend the main trials. Or better still watch the first 3 rounds of the competition and select the teams having watched the players perform in familiar surroundings. Of the players within the I's and II's this year there are around 12-13 yr 11's. Many of these boys will be pushing for state selection next year and will need maximum support from their association to achieve these goals.

Runner

Nev Cottrell (35)
TEAM

1st XV

COACH

Mr John Welsh, Mr Geoff Melville

OPPONENT

Kinross 1st XV

BEST FORWARD

Harry Veitch

BEST BACK

Tom Koerstz

CALLEN CUP WINNER

Senio Toleafoa,Tom Koerstz, Robbie Mortimer

DATE

14/5/11

SCORE

22-10

The Stannies 1st XV defeated Kinross Wolaroi 22-10 on Saturday to reclaim the John O’Neill Shield for WAS Premiers for the 46th time in the shield’s 56 year history.Stannies led at halftime 10-5 after tries to Ben Sheppeard and Connor Lamond. In the second half Connor scored a second try and the scoring was finished with a penalty try converted by captain Tom Koerstz.

The Callen Cup winner was a three way tie between Senio Toleafoa, Tom Koerstz and Robbie Mortimer, as voted by the players. All three boys continue to play with great passion and pride in the red badge. They were well supported in the forwards by Harry Veitch and Luke Cullinane, while in the backs Sam Mullany continues to impress as did first gamer Riley Byrne.

This week sees the beginning of the ISA competition where Stannies plays at Oakhill. Oakhill are very strong opponents and Stannies will have to be at their best to forge a victory against such a strong opponent. This week’s training has been crisp which should lead to a great game.

Iluvmyfooty

Phil Hardcastle (33)
from the recent National championships we had 5 players representing ISA. Tom Coertz, Senio Toleafoa, JJ Purcell, Fabian Natoli and Rhys Dombkins. From this Rhys Dombkins has been selected in the Australian Schoolboys team. A great ambassador for ISA and deserves the position. Well done. As for the other four players, A great tournament from them, Tom Koertz was very good for combined states as was Senio with some busting runs and a good work rate from the big unit. JJ was a little unlucky in gaining higher ohnours as he was a very good centre and could mix it with the best at the championships. Natoli was a pest... In a good way of course always where the ball was and could see his name again next year under Aus Schoolboys. That right i'm picking this one early. Best of luck to Dombkins and as to the 4 boys, Koertz, Toleafoa, Purcell and Natoli, great games and have certantly done the ISA comp proud.

stonecutter

Chris McKivat (8)
from the recent National championships we had 5 players representing ISA. Tom Coertz, Senio Toleafoa, JJ Purcell, Fabian Natoli and Rhys Dombkins. From this Rhys Dombkins has been selected in the Australian Schoolboys team. A great ambassador for ISA and deserves the position. Well done. As for the other four players, A great tournament from them, Tom Koertz was very good for combined states as was Senio with some busting runs and a good work rate from the big unit. JJ was a little unlucky in gaining higher ohnours as he was a very good centre and could mix it with the best at the championships. Natoli was a pest... In a good way of course always where the ball was and could see his name again next year under Aus Schoolboys. That right i'm picking this one early. Best of luck to Dombkins and as to the 4 boys, Koertz, Toleafoa, Purcell and Natoli, great games and have certantly done the ISA comp proud.

Agreed. Lets hope ISA is a little bit better prepared and we see an increase on this years participation in the 2012 season.

lily

Vay Wilson (31)
Agreed. Lets hope ISA is a little bit better prepared and we see an increase on this years participation in the 2012 season.
I think it comes down to the talent of the cohort not the preparation. Remember with the same prep in 2008 ISA had Vaughn Lomax, Sam Roberson,Salesi Manu, Luke Jones, Michael Hooper and Katone Ale in the forwards and Maile Hingano in the backs, all of whom being selected for higher honours.

ISA Follower

Frank Nicholson (4)
Round 3 results for ISA first XV's (from before the recent school holidays) do not apper to be on this thread yet. They were:

Oakhill 45 def St Pats 7
Kinross 20 def Stannies 17
Auggies 48 def St Pius 7
St Gregs 48 def St Andrews 22

There are 3 undefeated teams to date: Oakhill, Kinross & Auggies
Are Kinross a dark horse to win the comp?

ISA Follower

Frank Nicholson (4)
ISA Results Rd 4:
Oakhill 47 def St Greg's 0
St Pat's 25 def Stannies 15

Does anyone have a result for Auggies and Kinross and/or St Pius and St Andrews?

ISA Follower

Frank Nicholson (4)
How are Gregs going this season?

St Gregs have only won one ISA comp match - out of 4 to date. Their win was against St Andrews. I have seen them twice (one win and one loss) and they look promising but appear outgunned in the forwards technically. In the recent past there did not seem to be a lot of overlap between their league and rugby squads, but this year they do seem to be weakened some weeks when there are conflicting league commitments - or perhaps it is through injury.

crofty

Allen Oxlade (6)
Saw Gregs play Oakhill on Sat and agree with ISA Follower that they are technically deficient - a number of their First XV players seemed unfamiliar with basic rugby rules. I'd be interested to hear from someone in the know where the school sees rugby in comparison to its league program. Oakhill 2nds put over 50 points on the Gregs 2s on Saturday and Gregs were only fielding 1 side in each of the age groups apart from the U13s where they had an As & Bs - it seems like league is still very much the priority at Campbelltown.

stonecutter

Chris McKivat (8)
I think it comes down to the talent of the cohort not the preparation. Remember with the same prep in 2008 ISA had Vaughn Lomax, Sam Roberson,Salesi Manu, Luke Jones, Michael Hooper and Katone Ale in the forwards and Maile Hingano in the backs, all of whom being selected for higher honours.

Yes, it helps if you have talent to start with. No, it doesn't help playing a competition round the day before the CHS game and losing a number of other talented team mates and unsettling any combination from the previous training run 6 weeks prior. Attending to the small details of programming correctly might just be the difference between getting an ISA player of equal talent/potential to the other associations being selected instead of picking a GPS player by default.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Saw Gregs play Oakhill on Sat and agree with ISA Follower that they are technically deficient - a number of their First XV players seemed unfamiliar with basic rugby rules. I'd be interested to hear from someone in the know where the school sees rugby in comparison to its league program. Oakhill 2nds put over 50 points on the Gregs 2s on Saturday and Gregs were only fielding 1 side in each of the age groups apart from the U13s where they had an As & Bs - it seems like league is still very much the priority at Campbelltown.

So nothing has really changed. Still seems to be border weekend sport.

Status
Not open for further replies.