• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

ISA Rugby 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Scot Brown

Pedro Mate you need to wake up to yourself !! Leave the kids alone and don't get Personal with kids either. I agree with Rugby Tears. If the kids are at school they are entitled to play for their school and play Rep Union regardless if they play League as well on their other days. Playing both Codes does make them better all round players as well. It sounds like you are Jealous and have a chip on your shoulder maybe your own boys are not good enough to play both codes and be lucky enough to get contracts !!!

Pedro

Sydney Middleton (9)
Some rugby academy/camp info, all have June/July holiday camps:
Gold Coast;
http://www.therugbyacademy.com.au/#/programs/4557113085
http://www.therugbyacademy.com.au/#/facilities/4557113086
18 year old students can stay (extra) at the training base, the recent training base for the Wallabies, with plenty of time left each day to prepare for the HSC.
Global, mainly NZ and South Africa;
http://www.internationalrugbyacademy.com/new-zealand/ all meals & accommodation included 13-18 year old lads can stay.
7 day intensive course for 16-18 yr old rugby lads
5 day intensive course for 13-15 yr old rugby lads
USA;
http://www.eliterugbycampusa.com/ 8-18 yr old rugby lads
4 day 3 night camps
first camp at Stanford University, USA.
second camp at Rugbytown, USA
NZ;
http://nzsportsacademy.co.nz/
tailored for you

Heally

Frank Nicholson (4)
It seems as though I have missed a great deal of discussion about many things rugby rather than just the ISA comp.

I have heard some interesting results on the weekend across all the teams with some close and not so close matches being played.

Maybe now with with the rep selections and discussions all done we can focus on the games coming up this weekend and the announcement of the First XV's for round one of the ISA competition. Let us know who is in the teams and how they will fare this weekend and any bold predictions for the title... (I know that everyone seems to be playing for second to Augustines according to this forum but I will beleive it at the end of the season) Remember stranger things have happened in Rugby..

So back to fruitful discussion on the teams and games and leave the bigger picture stuff until after the season..

stonecutter

Chris McKivat (8)
A question for the thread: I noticed Natoli (Auggies #9) playing Toyota Cup today for the Sea Eagles against the Chooks. Would appear to be a pretty clear indication of where he sees his future. Should this preclude him from representative rugby honours this season?

This is an issue that really does need to be addressed at the highest levels. The player in this case is a talented young man who obviously has a pathway to follow already in professional football. To be playing Toyota cup while still in school is exceptional. But I can't condone his continued selection in representative rugby teams as it denies other young men a similar opportunity afforded to him through the 13 man game. However, continuing to play with his mates at 1st XV for his school is perfectly acceptable to me.

Rugby has a lot to offer it's players and shouldn't undersell itself when asking these young guys to give a committment to the game beyond schooling before selection at the upper levels. A door closes and another opens.

Runner

Nev Cottrell (35)
This is an issue that really does need to be addressed at the highest levels. The player in this case is a talented young man who obviously has a pathway to follow already in professional football. To be playing Toyota cup while still in school is exceptional. But I can't condone his continued selection in representative rugby teams as it denies other young men a similar opportunity afforded to him through the 13 man game. However, continuing to play with his mates at 1st XV for his school is perfectly acceptable to me.

Rugby has a lot to offer it's players and shouldn't undersell itself when asking these young guys to give a committment to the game beyond schooling before selection at the upper levels. A door closes and another opens.

A bit confused about things between rugby and league. Does the didvide go that deep? I presume if the kid mentioned above played basketball at a rep level he would not be excluded from rugby reps? If he is the best then he should get all the honours available

S

Scot Brown

ts not a Surprise as there a quite a few kids who are playing Toyota Cup while at school and its a credit to these kids who have to juggle School Homework / study with football just like you can be 18 and play 1st Grade in League in the NRL.
The Rugby Union needs to get their Act together and push $$$$ and good Sponsorships into the Juniors instead of Pumping it into the top bracket of rugby, to provide a Pathway beyond their Schooling to retain promising Footballers. Phil Blake has told me personally he is not happy with this and has been Complaining for ages for Improvements but the " Old Dinosaurs" in Union are not interested !!! Union can not Compare with the Programmes and training that League are providing for their Talented Juniors plus Contracted Payments are the rewards for the hard yards these kids put in day in day out. Union Representatives should go and watch all this for themselves and then wonder why so many kids are lured into the Leagues Pathway as Union has not got one themselves for these Juniors !!! Fabians name and he is only a kid should no be dragged into Conversations personally as untrue facts could be classed as Defamation.

Pedro

Sydney Middleton (9)
Pedro Mate you need to wake up to yourself !! Leave the kids alone and don't get Personal with kids either. I agree with Rugby Tears. If the kids are at school they are entitled to play for their school and play Rep Union regardless if they play League as well on their other days. Playing both Codes does make them better all round players as well. It sounds like you are Jealous and have a chip on your shoulder maybe your own boys are not good enough to play both codes and be lucky enough to get contracts !!!
Hey Scot, my kids are not at all interested in playing league or AFL, not even for their school. I agree that playing other codes can help some become better union players and richer.
Contracted league players are subject to penalties for playing union.
I am not talking about kids who play League and get a poultry $200 for a win on the weekend. My boys' uncle was on big league money contract at 17 to play professionally full time for North Sydney. Both he and his brother later played representative rugby.
I have known students who played union for their school while they were contracted for over $80,000 a year with league. That is not a problem, but why should union develop them (rep level) as well Scot when league pays them not to play union ?
Scot, I am awake up to you ! haha.

S

Scot Brown

Sorry Pedro but your Facts are Wrong regarding Contracted League Players are subjected to Penalties for Playing Union.

I know this Personally as I have 2 Nephews who are Contracted League Players and play Union at a high level for their school and any Good Football Manager will tell you this as well.
While the kids are at school and they playing School Boy Union at any level this will not affect their Contracts. As it is considered part of their School Curriculum and they are Entitled to be Representing their school.
As I have said in a previous Post, Rugby Union need to get off their Backsides and provide $$$$$ and good Sponsorships and provide a pathway for Talented Rugby Juniors for when they leave school as there is nothing compared to what League is providing and Offering. These kids leave school some of them making Rep Sides after Rep Sides and then have No Pathway to full fill their Dreams.

Pedro

Sydney Middleton (9)
Hey Scot I'm glad to hear that then, when players can make both commitments to league and union, then that is good. My son's coach will not let anybody play 1st XV if they have commitments to an NRL club, propably because they would have to travel and would be not be able fullfil both commitments, properly.
Maybe it depends on the contract, cause have I taught kids who had a NRL contract and they weren't allowed to play union because they didn't want them getting hurt, and so not be available to make their league commitments. Yes they were entitled to play for their school, but not play rep.
I could not agree more with everything you said in your last post, and league is great for those who can't do lineouts and scrums. haha

Schools Rugby Tribune

Frank Nicholson (4)
A question for the thread: I noticed Natoli (Auggies #9) playing Toyota Cup today for the Sea Eagles against the Chooks. Would appear to be a pretty clear indication of where he sees his future. Should this preclude him from representative rugby honours this season?

I assume it is the same no 9 who did duty against Scots (blond hair)? Exceptionally good half-back. He's got a future. Hopefully it will be in rugby, but I can well see him being scouted for League.

RugbyTears

Chris McKivat (8)
It seems as though I have missed a great deal of discussion about many things rugby rather than just the ISA comp.

I have heard some interesting results on the weekend across all the teams with some close and not so close matches being played.

Maybe now with with the rep selections and discussions all done we can focus on the games coming up this weekend and the announcement of the First XV's for round one of the ISA competition. Let us know who is in the teams and how they will fare this weekend and any bold predictions for the title... (I know that everyone seems to be playing for second to Augustines according to this forum but I will beleive it at the end of the season) Remember stranger things have happened in Rugby..

So back to fruitful discussion on the teams and games and leave the bigger picture stuff until after the season..
Heally, I am afraid the only way Auggies will not win is if their bus breaks down going to an away game :) Maybe they will get snowed in at Katoomba on the way to Bathurst -- that would be strange !

S

Scot Brown

Hey Scot I'm glad to hear that then, when players can make both commitments to league and union, then that is good. My son's coach will not let anybody play 1st XV if they have commitments to an NRL club, propably because they would have to travel and would be not be able fullfil both commitments, properly.
Maybe it depends on the contract, cause have I taught kids who had a NRL contract and they weren't allowed to play union because they didn't want them getting hurt, and so not be available to make their league commitments. Yes they were entitled to play for their school, but not play rep.
I could not agree more with everything you said in your last post, and league is great for those who can't do lineouts and scrums. haha

S

Scot Brown

Sometimes there are too many Line Outs and Scrums especially if you get stuck with a Bad Ref !!! A Kick A Th-On game becomes Boring when Continuously the ball is just kicked Back and Forth, without much thought and its not a great Spectator Sport when this happens and does nothing for he game.
Augustine's Success in a lot of peoples eyes are, They are Coached Extremely well ( Papas has coached some of the Best during their Junior years including Ricki Stewart and David Campese and was the Coach who knew of the Greatness and guided Matt Giteau. He was there to guide George Gregan and Matt Henjak as well. He was the Former Australian School Boy Coach as well he knows his stuff and Winning is in his Blood ! ) .... They have a Game Plan, They have the Best Players in Key Positions and they have Fit Mobile Forwards with Fast Backs. They play a fast game of Rugby with limited Kicking and their Ball gets out.

Bill McLean (32)
... he plays for the school in the ISA therefore he is eligible for rep honours. I don't think you can or should preclude him... what is the ARU or the NSW RU or the S15 organisations doing about kids coming thru the system after they leave school ? We keep complaining about Australia lacking depth ... Anyhow, this probably deserves another thread - I am sure many will have emotional outbursts to share.

I wholeheartedly agree with you here! I'm sorry I haven't picked up your entire quote, but the salient posts are there nonetheless.

With respect to your comment that it "deserves another thread", let me just say there is an actual thread (or there was one but it fell into disuse late last year).

I personally support 'Dual Codies' (as I affectionately refer to them), but being a rugby convert later in life I hope they gravitate towards the better of the two codes.

Nevertheless the traditionalists would have such kids ostracised from the game, but I disagree vehemently! I need only use the example of Rob Horne to exemplify the need to compete for the hearts and minds of such kids at the rugby cross-roads.

In other words just because a lad is playing SG Ball or Toyota Cup doesn't mean rugby should go quietly into the night!

Regards,
Newbie.

Bill McLean (32)
Sorry Pedro but your Facts are Wrong regarding Contracted League Players are subjected to Penalties for Playing Union.

I know this Personally as I have 2 Nephews who are Contracted League Players and play Union at a high level for their school and any Good Football Manager will tell you this as well.
While the kids are at school and they playing School Boy Union at any level this will not affect their Contracts. As it is considered part of their School Curriculum and they are Entitled to be Representing their school.
As I have said in a previous Post, Rugby Union need to get off their Backsides and provide $$$$$ and good Sponsorships and provide a pathway for Talented Rugby Juniors for when they leave school as there is nothing compared to what League is providing and Offering. These kids leave school some of them making Rep Sides after Rep Sides and then have No Pathway to full fill their Dreams.

You are so on the money with what you are saying! I will however note that Rugby through its 'National Gold Squad' is trying to offer the 'Pathway' that rugby has lacked for so long. It is headed up by two clever heads in Manu Sutherland (a grass roots man if ever there was one) and Ben Whittaker.

Regards,

Pedro

Sydney Middleton (9)
Hey Newbie, discussed with fellow PE teachers and League and rugby coaches at my school we are all teachers, we all agree it's up to the league club, but we have known personally players who have not been allowed (in their contract) to even play for their school union team cause the league club did not want them injured. We can't imagine anyone playing Toyota cup, (that's under 20s) they are all paid $50,000-100,000, having a league club who would not care if they were injured playing union. These league clubs have sent some of my students for weeks for speed training etc, they invest a lot of money and effort into them.
My son plays 1st XV for ISA and he said St Augustines had a freak 5/8 from NZ but maybe its their halfback.
Hey Scot thanks for that info about St Augustines I congratulate them sincerely, and I congratulate your nephews, for their achievements and wish them all opportunities (including league), and hope they remain injury free, especially from playing rugby, I am not sure if their league club would like it, but that is entirely between them.
Halbacks and 5/8s are the least likely players to be injured in rugby, flankers are the most likely. I will check on that again.
What Murray Mexted said is true, he is one of the greatest rugby coaches, head of international rugby academy, and mentally tough.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
The salary cap for each clubs Toyota cup squad is $250k, so they do not earn huge bucks if they are in the original squad, even less if they are not in the original squad.

Pedro

Sydney Middleton (9)
Sometimes there are too many Line Outs and Scrums especially if you get stuck with a Bad Ref !!! A Kick A Th-On game becomes Boring when Continuously the ball is just kicked Back and Forth, without much thought and its not a great Spectator Sport when this happens and does nothing for he game.
Augustine's Success in a lot of peoples eyes are, They are Coached Extremely well ( Papas has coached some of the Best during their Junior years including Ricki Stewart and David Campese and was the Coach who knew of the Greatness and guided Matt Giteau. He was there to guide George Gregan and Matt Henjak as well. He was the Former Australian School Boy Coach as well he knows his stuff and Winning is in his Blood ! ) .... They have a Game Plan, They have the Best Players in Key Positions and they have Fit Mobile Forwards with Fast Backs. They play a fast game of Rugby with limited Kicking and their Ball gets out.
Hey Scot yes I was so impressed with with St Augustines 1s they looked like a well oiled machine with a game plan.
Is their 1/2 back the same as last years the one with the dread locks who ran around everywhere and Stannies just did not shut him down, he was so good, and looked as if he had energy to burn even when he came off at full time ?
Will someone post the St Augustines 1s XV and their reserves ?
I am not sure if Oakhill's was posted earlier, but if not can someone post them ?
Hopefully a couple of St Pats' best will get a run in ISA rep ?

Runner

Nev Cottrell (35)
I wholeheartedly agree with you here! I'm sorry I haven't picked up your entire quote, but the salient posts are there nonetheless.

With respect to your comment that it "deserves another thread", let me just say there is an actual thread (or there was one but it fell into disuse late last year).

I personally support 'Dual Codies' (as I affectionately refer to them), but being a rugby convert later in life I hope they gravitate towards the better of the two codes.

Nevertheless the traditionalists would have such kids ostracised from the game, but I disagree vehemently! I need only use the example of Rob Horne to exemplify the need to compete for the hearts and minds of such kids at the rugby cross-roads.

In other words just because a lad is playing SG Ball or Toyota Cup doesn't mean rugby should go quietly into the night!

Regards,
Newbie.

I agree. What would you do to the sports highs? Should they not play Waratah shield?

Status
Not open for further replies.