• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

ISA Rugby 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.
U

upthewallabies

I'd predict Stannies over Pius despite stannies poor pre season/tour period. Pius 1sts only just managed to defeat St Pat's understreangth seconds team a few weeks back by from memory it was 13-12. For Pat's and Auggies match, it would be obvious to rule out St Pats this early in light of Auggies recent performances however I sense something brewing over in Strathfield as hopefully they manage to get back to a full strength unit. Oakhill will mostly likely put it over St Andrews over at Syd Uni with all their over rated players. Kinross and Gregs should be interesting in Orange, keen to hear some reports form that game. Goodluck to all teams this weekend

Pedro

Sydney Middleton (9)
Hey Heally fair call, thanks Crofty, is anyone going to watch the training or is that a closed event ?
Hey Up the Wallaby, I don't think Stannies went that poorly, pre season but they got worn down at Sanix. Not all 1s XV could afford Sanix so it was made up with whoever could afford to go. Sanix for them was a Rugby/cultural tour.
Oakhill will easily beat St Andrews, Stannies will get up but still not full strength, Kinross to win easily from recent earlier game reports, and keen to hear reports of that game as well.
Why are St Pats fielding an understrength seconds against Pius and so loosing ?
Gregs would do well if they fielded all their League players in a Saturday union game I was told by their last years captain.

S

Scot Brown

Sorry
It Certainly does not come across like that !
No need to put kids in a position to create Controversy for them especially behind their Backs.
Must be more to talk about...

Newbie,
What are you Predictions for the ISA Finals this season, Is there a Team that could worry Augustine's and make it interesting ?

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Hardly a personal attack, but everyone let it go.
Move on.
I've deleted a lot of quotes which had nothing else attached - wasting space and make the thread unreadable (even more ;)).

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Hey Heally fair call, thanks Crofty, is anyone going to watch the training or is that a closed event ?
Hey Up the Wallaby, I don't think Stannies went that poorly, pre season but they got worn down at Sanix. Not all 1s XV could afford Sanix so it was made up with whoever could afford to go. Sanix for them was a Rugby/cultural tour.
Oakhill will easily beat St Andrews, Stannies will get up but still not full strength, Kinross to win easily from recent earlier game reports, and keen to hear reports of that game as well.
Why are St Pats fielding an understrength seconds against Pius and so loosing ?
Gregs would do well if they fielded all their League players in a Saturday union game I was told by their last years captain.

Problem with Greg's is that they haven't really evolved much of a forward play aspect. I was at the College last Saturday to see them run around against what I suspect was a Joey 2's (or lower) and while they cut through the defense of the Joey's back with relative ease or if caught offloaded to one of several hovering support player's (this has always been the case as far as back when I played for the School), their lack of forward execution was evident. For the record Greg's lost 21-31 but should have won but at least 21 after bombing several tries that absolutely should have been scored and possibly by more if a couple of things had gone their way such as the ref actually enforcing the laws of the game for the offside and tackled player.

Blackers13

Syd Malcolm (24)
Sorry
It Certainly does not come across like that !
No need to put kids in a position to create Controversy for them especially behind their Backs.
Must be more to talk about...

Newbie,
What are you Predictions for the ISA Finals this season, Is there a Team that could worry Augustine's and make it interesting ?

Finals in the ISA 1st Division, now there's a concept. The 2nd Division do it but when you ask why 1sts don't have at least a final between the teams finishing 1 and 2, you get resigned shrugs and vague waffling about all schools agreeing etc. It's a bit of a sham competition, 6 games, no home and away, first past the post winner and no allowance for washouts. Schools rugby hardly prepares players for Colts or Grade, it's all a bit rah rah. Talented kids go from playing in front of big adoring crowds on their manicured school ovals to Woolahra number 2 at 11am in front of the club strapper.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Finals in the ISA 1st Division, now there's a concept. The 2nd Division do it but when you ask why 1sts don't have at least a final between the teams finishing 1 and 2, you get resigned shrugs and vague waffling about all schools agreeing etc. It's a bit of a sham competition, 6 games, no home and away, first past the post winner and no allowance for washouts. Schools rugby hardly prepares players for Colts or Grade, it's all a bit rah rah. Talented kids go from playing in front of big adoring crowds on their manicured school ovals to Woolahra number 2 at 11am in front of the club strapper.

It's the same for League at the schoolboy level. When playing League for Greg's we only played maybe 8 'regular season' games and a couple of trials but we had finals so that is a difference.

I would think that ISA would be the perfect candidate to introduce two distinct rounds with a four team finals. Would make it feel more like a real proper season.

Pedro

Sydney Middleton (9)
Stannies had a cracking 65-0 win at Canberra in 1s round Waratah Shield. Stannies still missing a few top players.
Some good ideas happening amoungst us lets pass and kick a few around.
I thought Oakhill would have done better against Daramalan maybe Canberra schools have upped the antie.

RugbyTears

Chris McKivat (8)
Hey RT agree predictable and some maybe closer. Stannies get one more top player back this week and another one next, maybe more. How are Pius looking ? What's gong on at Kinross, they are shaping up well, did they trip somewhere last holidays ? Anyone know Pius lineup yet and no Oakhill and St Augustines lineup posted. Do ISA reps train next Saturday week (2nd), or play Saturday and train Sunday, some conflicting info out there but I think they train Saturday next week ?
Pedro, Pius lost to Grammar last week 19-22 but smashed Sydney High the week before. As 'upthewallabies' mentioned, just managed to beat a St Pat's 2nds/3rds team. From memory they drew with Aloys last term but lost to Redfield by a huge margin. I recall seeing it in the newspaper --- Redfield got 50. On paper, Stannies should win but how they win will probably be interesting before your grudge match with Kinross next week.

Pedro

Sydney Middleton (9)
Hey Working class, agree, last year Gregs' forwards looked improved, but their backs were their strong point.
Hey Tears, one Stannies forward out this weekend and three backs, other backs have stepped up and improved, given the opportunity.
If Stannies have no more injuries they may have only one back out for Kinross game, and he returns later.
Does anybody have the Kinross, Auggies and Oakhill lineups ?

Bill McLean (32)
... Newbie,

I seriously wish there were, however it doesnt look like it! Auggies are too well drilled with that league toughness that the others lack.

Now in saying that Oakhill always seem to be there year after year and they have a few good players who i am looking forward to seeing how they fair this season, in particular their fly half!

crofty

Allen Oxlade (6)
Hey Pedro, think this is the likely Oakhill lineup for the Andrews game this Sat:
1. James Holden - ISA
2. Aaron Blacklock
3. James Benton
4. Gareth Linaker - ISA
5. Josh Anderson (replacement for injured Josh Evans)
6. Cormac Burke
7. Evan Tuckwell (c) - ISA
8. Ash Goddard - ISA
9. Matt Gonzalaz (vc) - ISA
10. Niall Hoolahan - ISA
11. Luke Casey
12. Dom Woodward - ISA
13. Jackson Canning - ISA
14. Jake Ryan
15. Ben Cotton - ISA

Are you able to list the Stannies side including the blokes who are yet to return from injury?

Bill McLean (32)
Hey Pedro, think this is the likely Oakhill lineup for the Andrews game this Sat:
1. James Holden - ISA
2. Aaron Blacklock
3. James Benton
4. Gareth Linaker - ISA
5. Josh Anderson (replacement for injured Josh Evans)
6. Cormac Burke
7. Evan Tuckwell (c) - ISA
8. Ash Goddard - ISA
9. Matt Gonzalaz (vc) - ISA
10. Niall Hoolahan - ISA
11. Luke Casey
12. Dom Woodward - ISA
13. Jackson Canning - ISA
14. Jake Ryan
15. Ben Cotton

Is Cale Angeloni in this team?

Bill McLean (32)
Cale is playing 2nds Newbie

Thanks Crofty! This lad is rated very highly, and not a bad player to be honest. However I will qualify that by saying that he tends to put too much super glue on his hands at time (i.e. goes himself with the ball when it clearly needed to spread wide). Other than that he is a very sound player!

I honestly thought he would challenge for the pivot role this year. How has his form been to date?

stokes

Stan Wickham (3)
Hey Working class, agree, last year Gregs' forwards looked improved, but their backs were their strong point.
Hey Tears, one Stannies forward out this weekend and three backs, other backs have stepped up and improved, given the opportunity.
If Stannies have no more injuries they may have only one back out for Kinross game, and he returns later.
Does anybody have the Kinross, Auggies and Oakhill lineups ?

Augustines line up
1. sam wendl
2. max cook
3. rory oconner
4. k. lloyd
5. matt philips
6. john walker
7. henry tier
8. adam hanagan
9. f.natoli
10. matt arnold
11. harrison blake
12. jack donlan
13. jed ibbotson
14. charlie tailor
15. hayden cochran

crofty

Allen Oxlade (6)
Thanks Crofty! This lad is rated very highly, and not a bad player to be honest. However I will qualify that by saying that he tends to put too much super glue on his hands at time (i.e. goes himself with the ball when it clearly needed to spread wide). Other than that he is a very sound player!

I honestly thought he would challenge for the pivot role this year. How has his form been to date?
Cale is playing pretty strongly Newbie. His defence is first rate and to date he hasn't been overplaying his hand. He is in Yr 12 this year but has always played the age group below (eg U16s last year) given his 1995 birth date. Hoolahan has held the fly half spot in the 1994 age group A teams from U13s to U16s and was the 2nd XV best back last year as well as playing a few first XV games.

The pair of them were duelling for the 1st XV spot during internal and early season trials but Hoolahan appears to have got the nod probably based on his superior passing skills and possibly the combination he has forged with the centres and halfback through the age group years. They are both good defenders and read the game pretty well so not a whole lot in it.

Bill McLean (32)
Augustines line up
1. sam wendl
2. max cook
3. rory oconner
4. k. lloyd
5. matt philips
6. john walker
7. henry tier
8. adam hanagan
9. f.natoli
10. matt arnold
11. harrison blake
12. jack donlan
13. jed ibbotson
14. charlie tailor
15. hayden cochran

I'm surprised to see Natoli there! Like Charlie Taylor and James Parker he is competing at the NSWCCC League trials at St Mary's today and tomorrow for the U/18 SICC team.

Charlie Taylor can't half run! Scored a great try today in a well beaten team!

The Door

Frank Row (1)
correction for the Oakhill lineup this weekend
Blacklock playing prop Holden playing hooker
St Andrews lineup this weekend
1.Filia Talanoa
2.Stuart Takau (c)
3.Bill Yole
4.Emerson Adcock
5.Pete De Jersey
6.Max Cunningham
7.Declan Moore
8.Fred Fiala-Motu
9.Oliver Hui
10.Zayde Alvarado
11.Ben Roach
12.Ben Milross
13.Cal McGrath
14.Sam Toohey
15.Thomas Jagot

St Andrews could shock a few people this year though I'd be surprised if they beat Oakhill. Very experienced and talented front row with ISA player Takau and JGS member Talanoa, No. 8 Fiala is also a JGS member along with Adcock and Moore being ISA 16's representatives. So there is a few very talented players amongst this bunch

Status
Not open for further replies.