• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

ISA Rugby 2013

Who will take out the Opens Div 1 title for ISA in 2103

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Runner

Nev Cottrell (35)
Not sure if this is well known but more kids are actually playing union at Gregs then league. The difference is only small but it is there. I have been told this by a reliable source who also tells me that league is in a little trouble, not due to Gregs itself, but due to certain oppostition teams being so aggressive in their 'importing' of players many teams in the MCS league just arent willing to compete at 1st grade level. St Gregs is an exception and competes very well but the side affect is they are losing willing opponents. Let this be a warning on the dangers of scholarships etc.

Secondly, I know it has been raised before and I am one person who likes the idea, but if the ISA wants to muscle up it's comp I would love to see ACT teams like Eddies, Marist and maybe Grammar enter. Each school is very competitive in Cricket, soccer, athletics etc etc and their place in the ISA would as I mentioned before really add some muscle to the comp. I know it would be a logistical nightmare and probably not happen anytime soon but dreams are free. Really though, is there much difference between a road trip to Canberra than out to Orange?

The difference is Julia Gillard doesn't live in orange

Pedro

Sydney Middleton (9)
Hey Silent you are right Kings 16As did smash Stannies 16As, the Kings team was definitely the best I am told (wasn't there), most Stannies forwards copitulated to a degree (not all) & a couple of backs out promoted to opens. But they have regrouped. Cranbrook just beat them also which was a good wakeup call for them. So now they have their big 110kg Tongan Andrew (cousin's in Australia u20s) & their top halfback wounded & out, but Stannies is facing last year's winners tomorrow & can't wait. When those 2 players return Stannies will be on fire.

Pedro

Sydney Middleton (9)
Stannies 14As have dominated everyone including Kings I am led to believe from reports. They are coached by Geoff Melville.

Pedro

Sydney Middleton (9)
Stannies 16As beat St Pats 16As 23-0. 3 tries two penalties and 1 conversion, without Stannies' big Islander forward, Andrew and two other 16s out playing in 1sts. Independant Central West referee.
The big Islander will be back soon.

Pedro

Sydney Middleton (9)
Who will take out the 14As and the 16As division of 2013 ISA ? That has to be either Stannies, St Gregs, Auggies or Oakhill.
How are St Gregs, Auggies and Oakhill travelling in these divisions ?

Pedro

Sydney Middleton (9)
St Pats's 16As backline looked good and their fullback was a very good ball runner, until Stannies worked out to keep the ball away from him instead of kicking it to him (they only did it once). St Pats did enter the Stannies red zone a couple of times, but St Pats ran into some torrid defence.

Pedro

Sydney Middleton (9)
Div 2 Results so far

Chev 19 def Redfield 15
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:"La_soule_en_Basse_Normandie"_1852.jpg
A scrummage in a La soule game in Basse Normandie, France, 1852
Football games which included ball carrying continued to be played over the century, right up to the time of William Webb Ellis' alleged invention.
There were thus no formal rules for football during the time William Webb Ellis was at the school (1816–25) and the story of the boy "who with a fine disregard for the rules of football as played in his time, first took the ball in his arms and ran with it" in 1823 is apocryphal.

Hell West & Crooked

Alex Ross (28)
Not sure if this is well known but more kids are actually playing union at Gregs then league. The difference is only small but it is there. I have been told this by a reliable source who also tells me that league is in a little trouble, not due to Gregs itself, but due to certain oppostition teams being so aggressive in their 'importing' of players many teams in the MCS league just arent willing to compete at 1st grade level. St Gregs is an exception and competes very well but the side affect is they are losing willing opponents. Let this be a warning on the dangers of scholarships etc.

Secondly, I know it has been raised before and I am one person who likes the idea, but if the ISA wants to muscle up it's comp I would love to see ACT teams like Eddies, Marist and maybe Grammar enter. Each school is very competitive in Cricket, soccer, athletics etc etc and their place in the ISA would as I mentioned before really add some muscle to the comp. I know it would be a logistical nightmare and probably not happen anytime soon but dreams are free. Really though, is there much difference between a road trip to Canberra than out to Orange?

Not greatly - no... But what is different is how many times a parent from Strathfield, Castle Hill or Brookvale would be asked to do it in a year... then keep in mind that a parent in Canberra would have to bring his kid up to Sydney for OAKHILL, PIUS, STRATHFIELD, AUGGIES and on to Bathurst and Orange as well... and not just for Rugby, but also for Cricket, for Athletics, for Basketball, etc...

Its not realistic. In many parts of the developed world, Sydney Canberra and Melbourne would be connected by a VFT... in some places it would go all the way to Brisbane... In Australia, we are letting our government get away with abject laziness in terms of Infrastructure - and we are getting left behind. In terms of Airports, Sydney is a running joke.

If the VFT ever comes in, and you can put 80-100 kids on a train with their parents and be at Parra or Central in an hour-to-hour-20, then this becomes a more realistic proposition, and I believe several of the Schools you mention would be a welcome addition to the Sydney Comps - the most likely one would be ISA - as the others appear to be a closed shop...

Most ACT parents would reasonably draw the line at being dragged-off to Sydney every other weekend under present transport options...

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
That is twice a year,and once to Bathurst/Orange,which is actually a quicker trip than to Sydney.
I think some of the ACT Schools happily traveled to Sydney 2 or 3 times for early season trials this year.

Hell West & Crooked

Alex Ross (28)
That is twice a year,and once to Bathurst/Orange,which is actually a quicker trip than to Sydney.
I think some of the ACT Schools happily traveled to Sydney 2 or 3 times for early season trials this year.

and if one kid plays football, the other Rugby? - and they both play Cricket, and are in the Swimming or Athletics Team? and if one is in High School and one is in Primary? think it through... wishful thinking wont get you there.

... and dont get me wrong; I think with St. Gregs, St. Eddies, Marist and Canberra Grammar, ISA would be a competition the equal of anything else in Australia, with a solid 5-Fixture programme.
Unfortunately, it is still a fair way off...

I like to watch

David Codey (61)

and if one kid plays football, the other Rugby? - and they both play Cricket, and are in the Swimming or Athletics Team? and if one is in High School and one is in Primary? think it through. wishful thinking wont get you there.
What does that have at all to do with anything?
Are you suggesting that on occasions they should delay the School 1st's because the wingers sister's netball game clashes?

BillyBlack

Allen Oxlade (6)
Pius 1st XV with the bye this week, so the match of the day at Oxford Falls saw the Pius 2nd XV versus Blue Mountains Grammar 1st XV.
Not sure of the end score as the score board wasn't operating throughout the day (point to Pius - parents aren't only interested in the 1st XV, so keep the spectators up to speed with the score) but it was a comfortable win to Pius by about 5 or 6 tries to 1.
Pius were bolstered with the addition of 3 top grade players who appear to have been dropped or in need of the extra run.
Uncontested scrums were probably a good idea because the Pius front row had an obvious size and weight advantage and the numbers 1 & 3 had strong games. The Pius backline had plenty of ball and made many clean breaks (especially in the centres).
One interesting point is the versatility of the Pius 1st XI soccer goal keeper who makes a natural transition to the rugby field (even after a game of soccer), showing blistering speed and scoring within a couple of minutes of being put on the field.
One frustrating part of the game was the number of stoppages for crooked lineout throws. We counted four in a row and more than 8-10 in the game. The frustration was that the ref then packed an uncontested scrum that seemed to take forever for the ball to come out.
It did spoil the spectacle for the crowd, but the boys played the game in good spirits, and BMGS were rewarded with a well deserved try on the final bell.
Rugby aside - the highlight was that at the end of the game the BMGS team gathered together and stood shoulder to shoulder facing the spectators and shouted "And 3 cheers for the parents" followed by 3 bellowing cheers.
Well done BMGS that was something special.

Hell West & Crooked

Alex Ross (28)
What does that have at all to do with anything?
Are you suggesting that on occasions they should delay the School 1st's because the wingers sister's netball game clashes?

I am suggesting that - quite clearly - NONE of the schools in question exist for the purposes of staging Rugby Matches, and that furthermore, their parents likely do not send them there so they can be dragged off to Sydney every other weekend...

I am not sure about yours, but many Parents like to take an active part in their child's sporting activities - and if they have more than 1 child, they like to be able to get between a couple of different venues in a single day...

Your comments regarding 'sisters' and 'netball' suggest you are very young, and not very experienced in the responsibilities of parenting.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Mate,I'm not promoting the idea, just disagreeing with your premise that it's not logistically possible.
It was a little naive to suggest that as you might have Primary School children as well.The School should take that into account when deciding what competition the entire School should compete in.
It used to give me the shits as well,when I had children participating in their sports 3 or 4 hours apart.
The other thing to consider is that if one or two Schools moved to the ISA, it would severely deplete the ACT comp.

Hell West & Crooked

Alex Ross (28)
Mate,I'm not promoting the idea, just disagreeing with your premise that it's not logistically possible.
It was a little naive to suggest that as you might have Primary School children as well.The School should take that into account when deciding what competition the entire School should compete in.
It used to give me the shits as well,when I had children participating in their sports 3 or 4 hours apart.
The other thing to consider is that if one or two Schools moved to the ISA, it would severely deplete the ACT comp.

I would think it were a fundamental question in deciding whether a school would join / be accepted into a competition. The point was made simply to illustrate the fairly straightforward point that ACT Schools (which would likely do very well in a NSW-ACT competition) are not simply going to be doing "twice a year, and once to Bathurst/Orange".. it's a little more complex than that...

The issue relating to Primary Schools was connected to a scenario (and I don't know the make-up of the ACT Colleges) where say Oakill has no Primary, and Stathfield does (for example) and so an ACT Family might be heading to 2 different remote locations on the same weekend...

As i mentioned before, I do think its a really worthwhile idea - but not as transport stands between the 2 Cities at the moment... Logisitics can be organised - if they are utilised often, then they actually become easier.

It's TIME that is the real enemy; Strathfield, Pius, Oakhill or Auggies doing Orange or Bathurst every Year is no big thing - it becomes different if that becomes a trip every other week...

Some parents are cool with putting a kid on a bus and saying call us when you get back... other parents just aren't comfortable in that position.

As to it being 'not logically possible' - I don't think anyone has actually said that - I think that it's 'not logically likely' that a school with 800 - 1200 kids would get a majority of parents to agree to go down that road, as things currently stand travel-time wise.

Status
Not open for further replies.