• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Jake White Quits Brumbies

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
In 2007 maybe.

Being able to play grinding finals style footy all the time won't win you a World Cup every time. England have been showing us that for years.

Jake also showed it at the Brumbies and then at the Shorks. He hasn't changed Jakeball, and attacking side are getting better and proving that the fitness benefits of running instead of kicking pay off at the end of a long season.

T

Train Without a Station

There were plenty who were happy to say last year he should have got the job over Link by virtue of the fact that the Brumbies were performing better at that exact time (ignoring the fact they were essentially 2 seasons later into their cycle).

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
There were plenty who were happy to say last year he should have got the job over Link by virtue of the fact that the Brumbies were performing better at that exact time (ignoring the fact they were essentially 2 seasons later into their cycle).

mate, I wasn't one of them. Whilst I can cop a foreign coach at Super 15 level, I just can't get my head around a foreign coach, whether he be a Kiwi, Pommy, Welsh, Irish, Georgian, or Souh African, coaching the Wallabies.

I believe that national coaches of any sport, well in Australia particularly, should be of that nationality. Suppose it continues with the tribalism theme.

D

daz

Happy to put my hand up to say I was one of those who would not have been unhappy to see Jake chosen over Link.

Nothing against Link, and I was just as happy to see him get the nod, but when a RWC winning coach who also turned around a Super Rugby team from basket case to contenders inside of 12 months comes on the market, you are mad not to look at him.

T

Train Without a Station

I'd prefer an Australian if there is an adequately qualified one.

My issue with the pro-White camp was that their justification to go with White was solely based on the team's results in 2013 rather than looking at the their tenure's as a whole. Which would say that Link was slightly better based on recent coaching form.

He inherited the team that finished 13/14 in 2009. He took them to 5/14 in 2010 (2 points off 4th), 1/14 in 2011, 6/15 in 2012 and 6/15 in 2013.

Jake inherit a team that finished 13/15 in 2011, took the job from the day the season finished essentially. In 2012 he took them to 7/15 then in 2013 to runners up.

Based on where the teams started and what they achieved, Link's record was marginally better.

T

Train Without a Station

Also, yes Jake took the Boks to a RWC title. But they weren't a great team for a sustained period under his tenure. NZ were still the best team of that time. Yes the Boks got the job done when it counted, but who knows what could have happened if the AB's didn't capitulate against France?

thierry dusautoir

Alan Cameron (40)
Argentina want more versatility to their gameplan. In a perfect world someone like Meyer would be a fantastic fit for them. But he is taken till at least 2016. I just pray to the gods above that they don't take Jake White

D

daz

Based on where the teams started and what they achieved, Link's record was marginally better.

I'll take your word for the Super Rugby comparison, but at the end of the day we are talking about a coach for a national team.

Jake had runs on the board, and Link was by and large untried at the time. That really is the crux of the matter for me.

Like I said, I was happy to see Link get the job, but my point is simply to say the ARU had to look at Jake as a solid candidate.

I also understand the fact that post-Deans, the ARU really had no choice but to put an Aussie back in charge to get some form of united front with the fans.

EDIT: Everything else is really just a case of what-if, but I can't help but think that if not for the Deans fiasco and the associated politics, Jake White would be the Wallaby coach right now.

T

Train Without a Station

Just for reference Daz, Jake White coached the Boks from 2004 to 2007.

Boks won the Tri-Nations in 2004. They were also ranked 5th in September 2004.

In September 2005 they were ranked 2nd.

In September 2006 they were ranked 3rd.

In September 2007 they were ranked 3rd (Australia who bowed out of the RWC in the quarters went in ranked 2nd).

He won 2 major trophies in 4 seasons yes, but never got the team to be consistently any better than 2nd in the world for a single year.

Lorenzo

Colin Windon (37)
This forum is going to give Link an awful lot of rope, I think. If he's still gliding along at under 65% I would think his position would have to be under threat after RWC.

I would have had White happily enough and probably still would do.

Status
Not open for further replies.