• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

James O'Connor misses flight

Status
Not open for further replies.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
i think more importantly, we are no longer in a position whereby we are forced to tolerate his antics due to a lack of talented players coming through the ranks. we have players who are ready (or almost ready) to take the jersey.

I'd say it's probably the opposite at the moment.

We've got one winger (Cummins) who now has a broken hand and is out. His form hasn't been excellent in the last two tests either (although he certainly was better against Argentina than he was against South Africa).

Tomane was poor against the Lions and now looks certain to have a spot in the starting side.

Mogg is gone so the option of reinstating him and moving Folau back to the wing is no longer availabe.

If JOC (James O'Connor) doesn't play then we're looking at either CFS on the wing or AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) (with Kuridrani playing 13 who struggled in his two tests off the bench).

The decision over JOC (James O'Connor)'s punishment should have nothing to do with his talent or form but it is silly to argue that he doesn't improve our team right now. He's still our best winger both in terms of form and ability.

scaraby

Ron Walden (29)
Poor old JOC (James O'Connor) won't hang him until i hear the whole story I still have this old fashioned idea innocent until proven. etc but I have this funny vision in my head of him screaming out.."DON'T YOU KNOW WHO I AM!!!" only to have the whole airport scream back "YEEESSSSS!!" ;)

KevinO

Geoff Shaw (53)
We've got one winger (Cummins) who now has a broken hand and is out. His form hasn't been excellent in the last two tests either (although he certainly was better against Argentina than he was against South Africa).

Tomane was poor against the Lions and now looks certain to have a spot in the starting side.

Mogg is gone so the option of reinstating him and moving Folau back to the wing is no longer availabe.

If JOC (James O'Connor) doesn't play then we're looking at either CFS on the wing or AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) (with Kuridrani playing 13 who struggled in his two tests off the bench).

The decision over JOC (James O'Connor)'s punishment should have nothing to do with his talent or form but it is silly to argue that he doesn't improve our team right now. He's still our best winger both in terms of form and ability.

Drop JOC (James O'Connor) and give Luke Morahan a shot, at least he is one winger who stood up against the Lions this year. The next two games should be used to trial some players as the Wallabies are well and truly out of the Rugby Championship. They couldn't do any worse than what we have watched over the last month.

Link has to put his foot down now, otherwise his going to be a push over for the whole time he is in charge.

D

daz

If this was a year ago, and another of the muppeteers was involved, we would have passed 50 pages by now, not stopping to let facts, objectivity, due process or anything get in the way of our mission to vent, accuse or defend.

Remember G&GR broke the Beale on the Bus incident via a subsequently deleted tweet that had been saved in the interim by an eagle eyed snout.

Not sure the two things can be put up and compared.

The Beale incident was captured, in real time as it were, by Vuna tweeting that it had happened. The whole story was out and up for discussion within hours. And remember, it was pretty quickly established that the punch was really thrown; it was just a question of why and how many were involved - Then of course it became a question of "what now" for Beale.

The JOC (James O'Connor) story is less transparent and no-one really knows what happened or why it happened. We just know there was "something" involving JOC (James O'Connor).

KevinO

Geoff Shaw (53)
Western Force have tweeted they are waiting for the results of the ARU investigation.

Not a lot of love for JOC (James O'Connor) at the moment when Force fans are saying go else where as well. 5 teams in Australia and not one of them want the kid.

liquor box

Peter Sullivan (51)
JOC (James O'Connor) deserves the benefit of the doubt,

Why???

whenever people say that about any player I always wonder when do you not deserve this benefit?

I for one think he wore out his rights years ago and after not showing to the Wallaby launch should never been heard of again

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Personally, I am waiting for more information.

It's easy to jump to conclusions here, due to the person involved, but the facts make for an interesting case.

1. 5am Sunday after the game, with his GF. Was he really likely to be excessively drunk at this time? Or was it really a dispute about changing his seats? Or both?
2. Did he actually board a flight a few hours later?
3. Being marched out of customs by the AFP is a likely a non-event - if you're not flying, you can't be there, so if he didn't board it is likely the natural thing to happen (particularly if he was arguing with airline staff and they got annoyed).

In this case, I think we should just wait and not jump to hysterical conclusions just yet. If JOC (James O'Connor) was drunk, then I support some punishment, e.g. missing the tour or stood down a game, but if it turns out to be a non-event (fight over seating with the airline) then it should be let go.

We just have to wait and see.

liquor box

Peter Sullivan (51)
i think more importantly, we are no longer in a position whereby we are forced to tolerate his antics due to a lack of talented players coming through the ranks.

This should never happen, if you don't discipline your number one choice player then why should number 2 in that position keep playing? This is a great way to lose your players overseas or to league. There is no incentive to build your hunger and determination if you know you will never get a shot because the golden boy will get picked regardless

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I like this from Grumbles.

You should not go to South Africa and Argentina with the Wallabies. But if you do, as a significant penalty of other sorts, you should play tight-head prop against the monstrous Springboks and Pumas front-rows.

An unusually good piece of writing from a much maligned writer. Well done Pie Man.

JSRF10

Dick Tooth (41)
You'd have to question the entitlement attitude to get into a row because he can't sit beside his missus for hours. Most sane men in a hungover state would be delighted at that prospect!

However I suppose we can't judge until we hear all sides of the story.

Swat

Chilla Wilson (44)
I'd be happy for any of Morahan, Crawford or Betham to get a call up into the side to replace JOC (James O'Connor) for the rest of the Rugby Championship and I rate them all as better wingers than CFS.

lewisr

Bill McLean (32)
Personally, I am waiting for more information.

It's easy to jump to conclusions here, due to the person involved, but the facts make for an interesting case.

1. 5am Sunday after the game, with his GF. Was he really likely to be excessively drunk at this time? Or was it really a dispute about changing his seats? Or both?
2. Did he actually board a flight a few hours later?
3. Being marched out of customs by the AFP is a likely a non-event - if you're not flying, you can't be there, so if he didn't board it is likely the natural thing to happen (particularly if he was arguing with airline staff and they got annoyed).

In this case, I think we should just wait and not jump to hysterical conclusions just yet. If JOC (James O'Connor) was drunk, then I support some punishment, e.g. missing the tour or stood down a game, but if it turns out to be a non-event (fight over seating with the airline) then it should be let go.

We just have to wait and see.

ABsolutely true, Ash. We don't know the full story yet and it could be a beat up. Even Benny McCalman admitted he seems to have changed his attitude so I'm hoping it's a media beat up but who knows.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
1. 5am Sunday after the game, with his GF. Was he really likely to be excessively drunk at this time?

Just on this point alone......... quite possibly, based on form...........

But I guess we'll wait and see.........

There does seem to be a bit of a contradiction between what JOC (James O'Connor) told the ARU and what the AFP have stated..........

Status
Not open for further replies.