• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Japan Super Rugby team

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Fair arguments there, OC.

My question was to Southsider, though. I'll give a bit more time.

southsider

Arch Winning (36)
Fair arguments there, OC.

My question was to Southsider, though. I'll give a bit more time.

Apologies believe it or not it is a Saturday night, I don't stare at my computer all night long if I can help it

The basis is that hopefully the super team in japan will grow the niche market rugby has in japan, with this will come more of those "exceptions to the rule" type of people in japan who have physical attributes that favour a contact sport along with just having these players play the game the players they play with/against will be provided with a more physical environment to develop in.

Also developmental pathways will expand more training and education at grass roots level (in the case of japan hopefully about the gym to help negate natural size issues) tours both inward and outbound against quality opposition from aus, nz and sth Africa to expose them to different playing styles and intensities.

If the team is seen as sustainable I believe more and more money will get pumped into the franchise itself either through the government or corporations which will help attract top end talent and also coaches etc which will help develop the home grown talent.

I also wouldn't be surprised if at some stage the Japanese ru tried to get some level of involvement in the NRC or itm cup sometime in the future, and obviously I don't need to tell you why that would be beneficial

And last but not least there is the current Japanese quota at Aussie super rugby franchises, if this stays (which I'm not sure if it will) it exposes some of their players to our rugby teams and training methods which they can then take back to japan and help mentor their team mates and future stars

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
The basis is that hopefully the super team in japan will grow the niche market rugby has in japan, with this will come more of those "exceptions to the rule" type of people in japan who have physical attributes that favour a contact sport along with just having these players play the game the players they play with/against will be provided with a more physical environment to develop in.

Also developmental pathways will expand more training and education at grass roots level (in the case of japan hopefully about the gym to help negate natural size issues) tours both inward and outbound against quality opposition from aus, nz and sth Africa to expose them to different playing styles and intensities.

If the team is seen as sustainable I believe more and more money will get pumped into the franchise itself either through the government or corporations which will help attract top end talent and also coaches etc which will help develop the home grown talent.
There you go. Good points.

The NRC one is also interesting. Put 'em in Radelaide!

Plainly a team, and the feeder structures, won't rely on the averages of millions when some thousands will do – plus international imports.

I still predict they'll be in the cellar for the early seasons. They'll have to earn their dues.

Marcelo

Ken Catchpole (46)
As soon as you start talking about genetics through race people lose their shit and think you're a nazi.

Ok, so Adidas and their Chart size are nazis. That makes sense, they are Germans

Yes, Adidas holds the official international guide for racial measurements.....

Adidas and any intermational brand like Nike or Under Armour. It's an international conspiracy by sports brands against the reputation on the Japanese's size

Dont be such a wank about it, generally speaking japanese people are small compared to a world average, same as generally speaking islander people are bigger than the world average which makes them such great rugby players. It is what it is, of course there are thousands upon thousands of exemptions to the rule but if we are using Japan as the example, even the big guys that they do have are outliers amongst their team mates and opposition meaning they are never put in a physically competitive environment and do not gain the experience that they would playing in other regions of the world and are less likely to develop and succeed as professional athletes. So yes it is very relevant

Thanks, mate. That's I'm trying to say but for some users if you say that the Japanese are smaller than the world average, you are a Nazi :D:D:D

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
One huge handicap that Japan Rugby has is that there are very few rugby grounds available for junior and grassroots rugby, and most if not all of them have terrible surfaces. So I am reliably informed.

Joeleee

Ted Fahey (11)
Why would we put a Japanese team in the NRC? Surely their national comp is a fair bit stronger than the NRC is.

Also, although genetics may mean that the Japanese are on average smaller than, say, Australians, they only need to develop 20% of the players Australia do for Super duty, as they only have one team to Australia's 5. I don't think the top 20% on the size distribution of Japanese is going to be THAT much smaller than Australia's median. Not to mention a reasonable amount of Australia's population (~5-10%?) are immigrant Asians as well. I don't think there's much threat of Japan winning the title any time soon, but I definitely think they could embarrass someone like the Force, or, if they play like they did this year, the Reds.

T

TOCC

A Japanese team in the NRC makes no sense, firstly it overlaps with the Japanese Top League which would make player availability near impossible, and secondly it doesn't stand to benefit Australia, or even Japan for that matter. NRC is a budget completion, flying a team in from Japan or flying teams to Japan immediately adds a massive expense.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
flying a team in from Japan or flying teams to Japan
Not sure Southsider was suggesting that. At least in the way I thought, it was more of a buy-a-team thing.

The ITM would be more attractive than the NRC in that regard. Kiwis might have reservations on it.

Bit of a side issue, though, to a Japanese Super Rugby team (should it eventuate).

T

TOCC

Ok, but the issue remains the seasons will overlap and encroach on the Top League...

Top League would be far more attractive to the Japanese then the NRC or ITM.

We're already seeing the issue of Japanese player availability for Super Rugby and that season doesn't even overlap with the Top League.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
As seen, when assumptions change, opinions change.

Especially so for all of us uninformed writers on this thread. You might might not be one of them. ;) But while I've been to Japan and even seen rugby in Japan, I don't know their rugby intentions.

One thing that can be said is that they're in a little bit of shit at the moment with their RWC hosting preparations and (back on topic) their Super Rugby plans.

southsider

Arch Winning (36)
Well my initial thought was actually more like the quota thing the super rugby teams have. Room for maybe 1-2 Japanese players per team that aren't counted as full proper squad members. Benefits would be the NRC could get a few more quality players in the tournament (assuming these Japanese players are super rugby quality) and could cover for some of the teams that come up a bit short on wallaby/super rugby allocations eg the north harbour rays. Get the JRU or the super team to cover their staying costs even with the return being that they get more exposure to high level tournaments, especially seeing the Japanese national team doesn't get the games/quality opposition that our professional players are exposed to

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Eddie Jones jumps ship to Stormers. Read here: http://www.rugbyweek.com/news/article.asp?id=47107 Good ole Eddie, always looking for a better gig. Let's hope the Aussie press can't quote him in future.

It's looking increasingly like the Japanese Super side may not make it to the starting gate. If the Top 14 sides don't want this team it's hard to see it succeeding.

Joeleee

Ted Fahey (11)
Conspiracy theory moment:

The South Africans paid off Eddie Jones with a juicy Stormers contract to actively sabotage the Japanese Super team. This was done to ensure the team would never be finalised, and Japan couldn't enter a team. The plan being, with Japan pulling out, the South Africans can put in another team into that conference, continuing their plan for World (read Southern Hemisphere) dominance.

I don't know how I didn't see it earlier.........

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Without being unkind to our SH cousins the Saffers have had more difficulty keeping their weaker sides competitive than Oz or NZ. The Kings were a joke last year and will be even more uncompetitive in future. To even dream about a seventh Saffer side is to test credulity.

I'll put up a piece about the relative strengths of the three conferences in the next few weeks.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Conspiracy theory moment:

The South Africans paid off Eddie Jones with a juicy Stormers contract to actively sabotage the Japanese Super team. This was done to ensure the team would never be finalised, and Japan couldn't enter a team. The plan being, with Japan pulling out, the South Africans can put in another team into that conference, continuing their plan for World (read Southern Hemisphere) dominance.

I don't know how I didn't see it earlier...

J, I also think these comments like "Eddie jumps ship" are throwing opinion into fact. You would think he has contributed much more than most to the Japanese cause. But when his contract is up... Well he checks his options.

RSA is an interesting alternative though.

I suspect Japan Rugby in general is suffering, from the perspective of an information hungry Aussie fan base, from not feeding the rugby media the way we like to see it. And even if it's unfair, we really DO like to see regular info. After all a site like this is the haunt of the tragics.

I hope so. They have an impossible task in front of them with the chosen conference system in 2016. No good if they are making it harder for themselves.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
The Stormers have been chasing Eddie since January. He has refused their offer more than once.

He must know that the writing is in the wall for the Japanese Super franchise.

Anyone here who says they wouldn't take the Stormers offer if they were in his shoes is just taking the piss.