• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Japan Super Rugby team

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Japan scrambling to bail out the water being taken on by their ship.

http://english.kyodonews.jp/news/2015/08/371679.html

Supposedly they've signed the "required number of players for their Super Rugby team" (but no names have been released of course).

"I can't imagine they will take it off us after all we've done ... In hindsight, we probably should have managed our time better. If someone says we weren't prepared enough we may not be able to refute that. But equally, we didn't think SANZAR would set as many deadlines as they have."​

These guys make old farts and alickadoos the world over almost seem competent.

Marcelo

Ken Catchpole (46)
It's strange that a Japanese organization is so irresponsible and incompetent. The Japanese tend to be the opposite. Is the JRFU run by foreigners?

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
Hamstrung by convention, paralysed by procedure, inured to indecisiveness.

well worth a read

51W2BFZZGEL._SY344_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

#1 Tah

Chilla Wilson (44)
I can't help but imagine what things would be like the other way round - if Japan was a rugby powerhouse and Australia, the minnows, had just been given a licence to compete with them.

Then an Aussie fan goes online to see some Japanese blokes saying that Australians genetically will never be successful, that awarding their country a rugby team was a huge goddamn mistake and some stuff that could be interpreted in a different context as racism.

Just imagine how the Japanese rugby community would feel if they read this thread - and think about the image that we are portraying for Australian rugby fans. To me, it looks like the Japanese team has received little to no assistance from SANZAR, World Rugby, or any of the individual unions. They have been given a massive task and basically been told "Good Luck, enjoy the preseason, we will see you in February" when previous expansion franchises have been given financial, operational and managerial help from SANZAR and their home union.

If the Japanese team doesn't get off the ground, SANZAR is to blame, not the JRU.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
I can't help but imagine what things would be like the other way round - if Japan was a rugby powerhouse and Australia, the minnows, had just been given a licence to compete with them.

Then an Aussie fan goes online to see some Japanese blokes saying that Australians genetically will never be successful, that awarding their country a rugby team was a huge goddamn mistake and some stuff that could be interpreted in a different context as racism.

Just imagine how the Japanese rugby community would feel if they read this thread - and think about the image that we are portraying for Australian rugby fans. To me, it looks like the Japanese team has received little to no assistance from SANZAR, World Rugby, or any of the individual unions. They have been given a massive task and basically been told "Good Luck, enjoy the preseason, we will see you in February" when previous expansion franchises have been given financial, operational and managerial help from SANZAR and their home union.

If the Japanese team doesn't get off the ground, SANZAR is to blame, not the JRU.

You're kidding right? Why should SANZAR have to assist a Union that only needs to provide one team. That a squad of 35 from a player base over 100,000. This isn't a race thing. Look at the Japanese national team. Size isn't an issue. This is about an inept organisation that couldn't organise a piss up in a brewery.

The Argentine Union has managed to sign practically their entire squad in the same time frame. While the JRFU has officially signed 2 with another rumoured three possible. They don't even have a solid funding model.

Please don't try to muddy the waters accusing others of veiled racism. To critique a poorly organised, incompetent organisation that has failed to deliver promised results on a number of deadlines is far from it.

T

TOCC

You're kidding right? Why should SANZAR have to assist a Union that only needs to provide one team. That a squad of 35 from a player base over 100,000. This isn't a race thing. Look at the Japanese national team. Size isn't an issue. This is about an inept organisation that couldn't organise a piss up in a brewery.

The Argentine Union has managed to sign practically their entire squad in the same time frame. While the JRFU has officially signed 2 with another rumoured three possible. They don't even have a solid funding model.

SANZAR and all the partners are receiving a benefit from Japanese inclusion in Super Rugby, and now having awarded Japan the license it's in the best interest of the SANZAR partners to ensure it succeeds, any fallout or failure is a black mark against the Super Rugby brand and SANZAR as a whole.

Argentina has had a slower transition into Super Rugby with the inclusion of Argentina in the Rugby Championship and the Pumas team in the Currie Cup, through these competitions they have established the infrastructure and framework to build a super rugby team off, more importantly, they don't have the same domestic idiosyncrasies that Japan has with the corporation run domestic teams.

I'm not excusing Japan's negligence by any means, they need to uphold their end of the bargain and their commitment to be an expansion team, I just don't think SANZAR should be too quick to cut them or turn their backs on Japan over this.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Then an Aussie fan goes online to see some Japanese blokes saying that Australians genetically will never be successful

You're right, that's crap. And regardless, there's nothing to stop a Super team hiring internationally.

Having said that, the JFRU haven't been great in getting things organised for their Supe team (and the 2019 RWC is also a bit shaky). Something like the new stadium being scrapped was not within their control, but getting a player roster signed up for 2016 is non-negotiable. A kick up the arse is warranted there.

Maybe they will muddle through and make it to the start line. Otherwise it could well be a 17-team Supe.

#1 Tah

Chilla Wilson (44)
Please don't try to muddy the waters accusing others of veiled racism. To critique a poorly organised, incompetent organisation that has failed to deliver promised results on a number of deadlines is far from it.

I'm sorry, I shouldn't have thrown that accusation around lightly. But if you say that Japanese people are genetically too small to compete, then you're not allowed to say "Rugby is a game for all shapes and sizes".

The point I was trying to make was that it has already been decided that the 18th team will be Japan - instead of kicking them while they are down, why aren't we helping them out? Lifting your mates off the ground and getting them to play on is something that the rugby community should be very good at.

southsider

Arch Winning (36)
I'm sorry, I shouldn't have thrown that accusation around lightly. But if you say that Japanese people are genetically too small to compete, then you're not allowed to say "Rugby is a game for all shapes and sizes".

The point I was trying to make was that it has already been decided that the 18th team will be Japan - instead of kicking them while they are down, why aren't we helping them out? Lifting your mates off the ground and getting them to play on is something that the rugby community should be very good at.

fuck me how pansy do you think japanese people are? hate to step on anyones toes, better to be politically correct and keep opinions to ourselves.......for the record i think ive been the one on here most saying that japanese genetics will work against them, but i also 1000% endorse their inclusion in super rugby, despite their supposed admin problems.

southsider

Arch Winning (36)
You're right, that's crap.

yet to provide any logic to your argument besides "theyll be able to find 23 genetic anomalies so theyll be fine" you fail to grasp the concept that their development will be hampered, by playing against smaller people. If you have two identical players, one grows up playing in japan, one grows up playing in australia, they have exactly the same training programs and generally similar development pathways, you cant seriously sit there with a straight face and tell me the finished product from japan is going to be as good as the finished product from aus.

Again i point to tanaka, he is one of japans BEST players, he is also slightly above the size of your average japanese male, he would be in a two way battle with reinach from SA for smallest player award......and it shows he gets bitched ALL THE TIME. whats your alternative? pick genetic anomalies that are freakishly big by japanese standards and hope to god you can teach them some skill and pick them ahead of genuinely talented japanese players who are average size? oh whats that? or the other alternative pick a team full of imporrts? fine, but youll have a even greater struggle to connect with the japanese population from a marketing perspective then they are already going to face.

Japan need to be in super rugby, their potential fanbase and $$ for corporations is just too much to ignore............doesnt mean they arent going to struggle or that their size works against them.

T

TOCC

Japanese people are too small they say, can't get big enough they say..
We're in trouble if some of these genetic anomalies ever decide to play rugby
mg_0015.jpg

Marcelo

Ken Catchpole (46)
Japanese people are too small they say, can't get big enough they say..
We're in trouble if some of these genetic anomalies ever decide to play rugby
mg_0015.jpg

Indeed, the current situation of Sumo wrestling in Japan is the perfect example.

Sumo is a dying sport in Japan:

http://www.japaneasyblog.com/the-dying-sport-of-sumo-wrestling/

The Economist explains: "Why the Japanese are no longer on top in sumo wrestling?"

http://www.economist.com/blogs/economist-explains/2015/03/economist-explains-13

And is dominated by foreigners:

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2013/01/25/sports/25iht-sumo25.html?referrer=&_r=0

There aren't millions Sumo wrestlers in Japan, eager to become in rugby forwards. Are few and those few are dominated by foreigners. Sumo is the worst advertising for Japanese rugby.

T

TOCC

What exactly is you point MHCS?
These broad genetics statements about the Japanes people are cringeworthy to read.

Japan as a test team have beaten other rugby playing nations int he world, including Wales, Italy, Fiji and Tonga in the past 5 years.. that's the real measure of of their rugby playing ability and the only one I care about. A Japanese Super Rugby team will need a few foreign players to be truly competitive, but Japan with an improved professional structure will be able to field a competitive team drawing from the current pool of players.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
The best Sumo Wrestlers in the World are not Japanese. So what?

The best Indian Restaurants in the World are not in India.

The best Bagpipers in the World are not Scottish.

Japan produces some of the Best Scotch Single Malt Whisky in the World.:)

The Best Roman Catholic in the World was not born in Rome.

Not all fat people are jolly.

Blonde people aren't all dumb.

Not all priests are pedophiles.

Gays play rugby.

People in the Fashion Industry can coach Rugby.

How about we ditch the racist stereotypes and generalisations about Japan?

T

Train Without a Station

Without being unkind to our SH cousins the Saffers have had more difficulty keeping their weaker sides competitive than Oz or NZ. The Kings were a joke last year and will be even more uncompetitive in future.

This doesn't really consider the impact that an uncertain future has on recruitment. They will likely be more competitive in the future when players know they will be in Super Rugby for more than a solitary season.