• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Jarryd Hayne signs with Fiji Sevens

Status
Not open for further replies.

p.Tah

John Thornett (49)
I liked the idea of the publicity he wound have brought, but it's a bit of a relief. If he didn't fire as well as Folau did when he came across there is the pressure to play him to justify the hype and cost and no one wins then.

Marcelo

Ken Catchpole (46)
Andrew Hore (Tahs CEO)

“We believe we’ve got to focus more on those others areas of the game: youth development, infrastructure and building the game of rugby union for all shapes and sizes,” Hore said.

“Now, there’s no doubt that if there was unlimited resources, that a player like Jarryd Hayne may have been of real benefit.

“But right now we have a new and exciting young group of players, (and) combined with the needs of our game to put it back on an even keel, talking to Jarryd probably at the moment isn’t the right thing for us as a sport.

“First and foremost we’ve got to continue to look at how we grow our own.

“We’ve got a new and exciting leadership group in our team, and a lot of new players coming in next year, so it’s really important that we ensure that we grow and invest in an environment which helps them excel, and sometimes if you redirect that financial resource it means you can’t do that.”

Well said, Andrew. Well said

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
I liked the idea of the publicity he wound have brought, but it's a bit of a relief. If he didn't fire as well as Folau did when he came across there is the pressure to play him to justify the hype and cost and no one wins then.

Not going to lie. If the Tahs had decided to sign him I would have been fairly livid. We all know he would have demanded a premium contract with little to no proof in the game. That's money I'd rather see go toward retaining young up and comers or back into the community game.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Andrew Hore (Tahs CEO)

“We believe we’ve got to focus more on those others areas of the game: youth development, infrastructure and building the game of rugby union for all shapes and sizes,” Hore said.

“Now, there’s no doubt that if there was unlimited resources, that a player like Jarryd Hayne may have been of real benefit.

“But right now we have a new and exciting young group of players, (and) combined with the needs of our game to put it back on an even keel, talking to Jarryd probably at the moment isn’t the right thing for us as a sport.

“First and foremost we’ve got to continue to look at how we grow our own.

“We’ve got a new and exciting leadership group in our team, and a lot of new players coming in next year, so it’s really important that we ensure that we grow and invest in an environment which helps them excel, and sometimes if you redirect that financial resource it means you can’t do that.”

Well said, Andrew. Well said

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
I've got to admit to feeling a bit smug that his little fijian fuckaround has fingered his rugby aspirations going forward.

It's not just tall poppy ugliness. How many blokes would give a nut to have his talent. And he's wasting his career phaffing about. Like Quade said last week, he doesn't want to waste another minute. I suspect Hayne will look back and wish he'd done things differently.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Yes Hayne made a poor decision imo with Fiji 6 min folly.

No problem with decision for tahs to not sign Hayne if commercially because of that can't make it work because of that as commercial reality needed to make sense. But Andrew Hore's response just showed to me he is a frigging numnut to suggest anyone suggesting holy instant solution to nsw rugby problems. Marketing the game creates short term wins that sets up long term wins from interest and brand appeal in the product. As about short term tactical decisions which support long term strategic aspirations and if don't manage former you damage the latter.

All of which represents the problem with rugby in oz as not run as a business and as a product to market and sell and with right people in place that are savvy strategy and business wise to grow a great product. As in corporate world a great asset or product is only sustainable by great management. The comments by tahs Ceo shows through the lack of management and executive quality in Australian rugby to manage and grow a great product. Andrew Hore with your comments it reveals to me you are a frigging ordinary ceo who would fail in the corporate world and shows why nsw rugby needs better leadership.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
That's the most sensible statement out of an Aussie rugby supremo for a while. Well done.

No actually it shows a lack of understanding of need to use tactical short term tools (eg marketing of game) to stop the decline in interest to give time and space to implement long term solutions.

Australian rugby lacks compared to other codes credible business minded people to grow the game. No problem Hayne not being signed but Andrew Hore's comments on this just reiterated the former problem. Don't need more passionate rugby people to solve Australian rugby's problems but professional sports administrators with solid business skill set.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
What also pisses me off about Andrew Hore's comments is it appeals to the rusted on rugby supporters but that does duck all to help the game - if he thinks he does not need tactical short term marketing solutions to ebb the declining interest in the product to provide the space and time to implement long term strategy fixes it just shows why rugby in oz is struggling . We don't need more fucking rugby people at top levels but professional sports administrators / business savvy people as this is a product in a competitive market with plenty of potential substitutes for consumers.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
What also pisses me off about Andrew Hore's comments is it appeals to the rusted on rugby supporters but that does duck all to help the game - if he thinks he does not need tactical short term marketing solutions to ebb the declining interest in the product to provide the space and time to implement long term strategy fixes it just shows why rugby in oz is struggling . We don't need more fucking rugby people at top levels but professional sports administrators / business savvy people as this is a product in a competitive market with plenty of potential substitutes for consumers.

I think it is a bit early on in his tenure to be throwing bombs like that.

I think it is important to have people who understand our game from the top to the bottom, and the bottom to the top.

I don't think Jarryd would have done allot for our game, over the long or the short period - I mean how long did he stick around trying to prove himself and improve himself in gridiron, he didn't make it so left - gave up.

I had a good read of Andrews Q&A on rugby news yesterday - it was an honest read and changes are being made.

Agree with your marketing solutions reasons etc, but i do see Hayne as being an expensive risky bet, or spend.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
I think it is a bit early on in his tenure to be throwing bombs like that.

I think it is important to have people who understand our game from the top to the bottom, and the bottom to the top.

I don't think Jarryd would have done allot for our game, over the long or the short period - I mean how long did he stick around trying to prove himself and improve himself in gridiron, he didn't make it so left - gave up.

I had a good read of Andrews Q&A on rugby news yesterday - it was an honest read and changes are being made.

Agree with your marketing solutions reasons etc, but i do see Hayne as being an expensive risky bet, or spend.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
I don't know;
Was rugby doing better holding it name, having a supporter base, when we were the only amatuer winter sport with AFL / League / Soccer all being professional?

Yeah I know time doesn't stand still.
History is learning.

Gee .................... as i said i don't know, but money seems to be fucking thing royally in not just sport at the moment.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Don't disagree that your conclusion on Hayne may be right but more as you can tell was pretty disappointed with the messaging Andrew delivered as if he thinks he can just focus on long term solutions and not the right mix of short term solutions (marketing etc) to give more time and space for long term solutions and ensure product appeal and erosion is not further eroded in the short term he is very naive

I thought personally his statement was pretty piss poor. Anyhow my comments I appreciate some will get mixed reaction.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Yes Hayne made a poor decision imo with Fiji 6 min folly.
Yes and no.

The 6 minutes dropped his super rugby price, but the supe is not the main course. It's soup, not meat. The Tahs were only ever going to be a stepping stone to:

1. Keep his publicity-hungry name on tv and in print; and
2. Fluff up other contract opportunities in mungoball or comic book muppetland

On that last option, that fact that he's tied to Fiji could boost his options in France. There won't be any "Giteau moves" of missing club rugby to play elsewhere.

Either way, Hayne wasn't going to just take a low dollar contract at the Waratahs. Bottom drawer envelopes and a back-door deal into Japan would have been needed. For a player unproven in rugby union (and only eligible for Fiji), it's not worth it.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
No problem with decision for tahs to not sign Hayne if commercially because of that can't make it work because of that as commercial reality needed to make sense. But Andrew Hore's response just showed to me he is a frigging numnut to suggest anyone suggesting holy instant solution to nsw rugby problems. Marketing the game creates short term wins that sets up long term wins from interest and brand appeal in the product. As about short term tactical decisions which support long term strategic aspirations and if don't manage former you damage the latter.

All of which represents the problem with rugby in oz as not run as a business and as a product to market and sell and with right people in place that are savvy strategy and business wise to grow a great product. As in corporate world a great asset or product is only sustainable by great management. The comments by tahs Ceo shows through the lack of management and executive quality in Australian rugby to manage and grow a great product. Andrew Hore with your comments it reveals to me you are a frigging ordinary ceo who would fail in the corporate world and shows why nsw rugby needs better leadership.

I disagree with this completely.

There is absolutely nothing to suggest that signing Hayne would make an appreciable benefit to the Waratahs in terms of marketing the team and ultimately improving crowd numbers.

For the Waratahs to sign Hayne they would need to also set up a deal for him to play in Japan so wouldn't even have him during the offseason to work on getting him up to speed. They would also need to secure third party deals which go straight into his pocket instead of potentially the club as a whole or to another player.

It is a very different situation between signing a player and then being able to leverage off that signing to market your team and having to market that individual player for their own financial benefit just to meet the contractual obligations of signing them.

Hayne would create a bunch of hype but little lasting financial benefit for the team. Without the Wallabies being on the table to boost the earning potential the Waratahs would have to make too many concessions to make it work.

This to me reflects a commercial decision made be a rugby administrator with an excellent track record in managing the finances of a club.

As Hore said, the Waratahs have the highest profile player in the country and a bunch of core Wallabies. A little more star power is going to have limited effect in terms of their overall marketability.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
No actually it shows a lack of understanding of need to use tactical short term tools (eg marketing of game) to stop the decline in interest to give time and space to implement long term solutions.

Australian rugby lacks compared to other codes credible business minded people to grow the game. No problem Hayne not being signed but Andrew Hore's comments on this just reiterated the former problem. Don't need more passionate rugby people to solve Australian rugby's problems but professional sports administrators with solid business skill set.

I respectfully disagree with that. Throwing a bunch of money at a bloke who appears to only have a passing interest in rugby seems like money poorly spent IMHO. It's a short term sugar hit with little long term benefit.

BH said it better than I have time to do, so refer ^^^^

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
What is of most interest to me is it appears that Hore is unwilling to entertain the idea, while Pulver has already met to "chat".

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
What is of most interest to me is it appears that Hore is unwilling to entertain the idea, while Pulver has already met to "chat".

Even without meeting with Hayne, it is pretty clear what that sort of deal would entail.

If it's not something you're interested in, rather than allow speculation to build and then make it seem like a letdown when it doesn't eventuate, why not nip it in the bud?

Any decision to actively pursue Hayne would impact decisions regarding re-signing current players and recruiting new players. If it's not something you're keen to make happen you don't want it to derail that process. If they delay or reduce offers to other players, they may lose them to other teams.

Status
Not open for further replies.