• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Jarryd Hayne signs with Fiji Sevens

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Doug

Dick Tooth (41)
Another good Rugby interview on radio 4TAB today at about 6:15am.
It was with Andy Friend, who was asked for his initial reaction to the 'Jarryd Hayne to play Sevens for Fiji' news. Fiend said he thought it was an April-fools joke, until he realised that we were now in May!
He was also asked what impact "The Honey Badger" had had on the Australian 7s squad. He said that Nick was certainly different, and after a recent conversation with him, Friend said to Nick: "I have no idea what you just said, but I agree with everything you did say"!!!
Friend was asked what effect all the travelling had on his players. He said they had to be tough, because so much time was spent on travel. He gave the example of a recent trip to Paris, which took a total of 55 hours!!

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Is this true? Because Fox Sports is advertising: "How to watch Hayne at London 7s"
Fox are also the people who put Wayne Carey on the cover of their Fox Footy launch edition over a decade ago. Right around the time he got caught doofing his mate's wife in the bathroom at a party.

Sometimes marketing get ahead of themselves.
Sometimes they just get fisted by bad luck, or idiots.

#1 Tah

Chilla Wilson (44)
Ben Ryan seems like a really likeable and nice guy, which is no mean feat for a pom. I trust that he knows his side best and he knows what he is doing.

If he wants to select Hayne, fine, I look forward to seeing Henry Hutchinson smoke him on the outside. If he doesn't, great, it doesn't change the equation for us at all.

I don't understand why there is all this hysteria, but I'm not surprised - it is Jarryd Hayne after all.

Mustafa

Chris McKivat (8)
Yes they have said the same on the news channels last night. But Fiji has to 9.30 am Friday to make changes if they want. I hope Hayne doesn't get in, too much ego for me and I doubt he will even stick with rugby after the games are over

https://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=newssearch&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwitmaWT1uTMAhWCFZQKHdLuANgQqQIIGygAMAA&url=http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-05-18/hayne-hits-rio-speedbump2c-left-out-of-fiji27s-london-sevens-/7426664&usg=AFQjCNGqS4O115-lTrSO3wjC1rGEQT1Muw&sig2=zsJGZjgjKR65fYr5C5jpRg

My understanding is there are other 7s games held in France over the weekend. Its a big comp. Where players who are trialing out to rep their country are playing in and the coaches will be watching very closely leading onto the Olympics for selections

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Another good Rugby interview on radio 4TAB today at about 6:15am.
It was with Andy Friend, who was asked for his initial reaction to the 'Jarryd Hayne to play Sevens for Fiji' news. Fiend said he thought it was an April-fools joke, until he realised that we were now in May!
He was also asked what impact "The Honey Badger" had had on the Australian 7s squad. He said that Nick was certainly different, and after a recent conversation with him, Friend said to Nick: "I have no idea what you just said, but I agree with everything you did say"!!!
Friend was asked what effect all the travelling had on his players. He said they had to be tough, because so much time was spent on travel. He gave the example of a recent trip to Paris, which took a total of 55 hours!!
Interesting that Friend believes that 7's is so vastly different to 15's that many players can't adapt, yet he was clever enough to make the conversion as a coach in a matter of days.
South Africa & New Zealand both had no problems converting their 15's players.
Sure the cardio might be different, but that's all.
7's is played by guys who are not good enough to get paid to play 15's.
Hayne is good enough to get paid a lot to play 15's,and will absolutely dominate in Rio.

ACT Crusader

Jim Lenehan (48)
I don't think age is an issue at all. NZ's best player (Tim Mikkelson) will be 30 in August and he's an outside back. A mainstay in the NZ team has been DJ Forbes and he's 33.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Hayne has made a lot of money out of sport. There is $500k unaccounted for from Parra Eels dodgy deals.

Perhaps Hayne is buying his place (& Olympic medal) in the cash strapped Fiji 7's team with the $500k that he claims didn't make it to his bank account.

Never underestimate the lengths that mungoballers, supporters and the Loig media fanboys will go to to try and establish some credibility for their internationally irrelevant game.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
South Africa & New Zealand both had no problems converting their 15's players.

I'm not sure that's true. No 15s player has been a revelation in Sevens - SBW, Messam, Habana, de Jonge and others have all had moments but for the most part been, at best, average.

Australia has faced similar challenges to all other sides. Our 15s guys have looked OK, not out of place, but not as dominant as we'd hoped.

I think this season has entirely debunked this following line........

7's is played by guys who are not good enough to get paid to play 15's.

....... which I think is way out. I think at least 8 of our current Sevens side could walk into Super Rugby and be good (Clark, Holland, Cusack, Myers, Fa'alavau, Fou, Hutchison, Jenkins).

I reckon this has been the season where we have all seen how good these guys are, and how it's become so much more than 'rugby lite'.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
I'm not sure that's true. No 15s player has been a revelation in Sevens - SBW, Messam, Habana, de Jonge and others have all had moments but for the most part been, at best, average.

Australia has faced similar challenges to all other sides. Our 15s guys have looked OK, not out of place, but not as dominant as we'd hoped.

I think this season has entirely debunked this following line....

... which I think is way out. I think at least 8 of our current Sevens side could walk into Super Rugby and be good (Clark, Holland, Cusack, Myers, Fa'alavau, Fou, Hutchison, Jenkins).

I reckon this has been the season where we have all seen how good these guys are, and how it's become so much more than 'rugby lite'.

Well, after the Olympics, I wonder how many of those lads go to Super Rugby and get paid some much bigger $$$$$$$

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Cam Clark certainly will, most likely to the Tahs.

Ed Jenkins is also rumoured to be on the lookout for a Super deal.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Cam Clark certainly will, most likely to the Tahs.

Ed Jenkins is also rumored to be on the lookout for a Super deal.

Jenkins has just turned 30 and may take a while to "convert" back to the 15 man game. He ain't no kid but shit he is fit

What position would he play ?

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
I'd guess his best position would be as a 7 like his identical twin brother.

I've never watched a heap of sevens but when I have Jenkins seems a reasonable size (and in 15 man stuff he would probably gain 6-8 kg, and very quickly), fast (for a 7) and looks pretty tough and durable.

Sounds like a good prospect for north of the Border

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I thought Jenkins was looking overseas for a gig and more as an outside back?

Could well be.

His brother is at RC Narbonne in the French Pro D2.

Ed has a young baby so they're happy to move away from family then it might be worth trying to earn whatever he can for the remainder of his career.

He's a quality footballer. Someone will want him.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)

I think this season has entirely debunked this following line....

... which I think is way out. I think at least 8 of our current Sevens side could walk into Super Rugby and be good (Clark, Holland, Cusack, Myers, Fa'alavau, Fou, Hutchison, Jenkins).

happy to disagree.
I look at Wells who was one of their better players last year carving up the Canberra comp.
If you take the hype away from Henry,he was reasonably well performed in second grade last year,and has since lost a lot of pace trying to bulk up.
I think Alan F would only be a good first grader at SS. Showing and going,gets stale pretty quickly in 15's and he makes more errors than Quade.
Who would you sack to make way for Clark & Holland in the Tahs?
They are the two most likely.

Status
Not open for further replies.