• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Jarryd Hayne signs with Fiji Sevens

Status
Not open for further replies.

ACT Crusader

Jim Lenehan (48)
I'm not sure that's true. No 15s player has been a revelation in Sevens - SBW, Messam, Habana, de Jonge and others have all had moments but for the most part been, at best, average.

Australia has faced similar challenges to all other sides. Our 15s guys have looked OK, not out of place, but not as dominant as we'd hoped.

I think this season has entirely debunked this following line....

... which I think is way out. I think at least 8 of our current Sevens side could walk into Super Rugby and be good (Clark, Holland, Cusack, Myers, Fa'alavau, Fou, Hutchison, Jenkins).

I reckon this has been the season where we have all seen how good these guys are, and how it's become so much more than 'rugby lite'.

Vito was awesome at 7s on the wing and that was after he had shown promise as a XVs player for Wellington.

Messam previously was an excellent 7s player whilst a XVs player. This stint around he has stunk the house out.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
From memory, wasn't Vito considered the best 7s player in the world before his switch to XVs?

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
The plot thickens with a twist in the tale:

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/...ji-sevens-squad-for-final-leg-of-world-series

I'm working on the assumption there were some formalities (passport/ citizenship/ Olympic-standard qualification would be my guess(es)) that hadn't been completed when the initial 12 were named, meaning he couldn't be one of them, that have now been attended to. Still not going to Rio on merit, tho.

EDIT: he's not on the supposedly official squad list:

http://pulse-static-files.s3.amazon...-a2bd-8b82b493a35b/WR7M-17-ENG-SquadLists.pdf

To summarise: maybe he's in, maybe he's not, fuck knows (& he's not telling).

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
yep, I've always recorded games and watched the replay when they are through the night, but reckon I'll get up for the Aussie one.

louie

Desmond Connor (43)
Overheard some RL fans talking at my local coffee shop this morning. One said "He'll do really well in 7s because it's more like RL then union". Made me giggle.

Marcelo

Ken Catchpole (46)
Finally this silly has played 2 minutes for Fiji 7s. He's officially inelegible for the Wallabies. Thanks for nothing, Hayne. Come back to the NRL, please. Now you are useless for Aussie Rugby

I would like to see him doesn't make the squad for Rio

Sir Arthur Higgins

Alan Cameron (40)
He says he has a connection to Fiji so he probably moves to England or France and plays Union for $1m+ a year and plays in 2019 in Japan for
Fiji. He will make as much money as if he played super with a wallabies top up.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Judging by his appearances so far, he does not deserve to make it. That may not come into the equation though.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
He didn't look that out of place though. He made no mistakes, and had a few nice touches.

Hard to criticise him for a lack of involvement. It's not like 15s where you can go looking for work. Sometimes the ball just doesn't come to you in 7s, and that's not your fault at all.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Finally this silly has played 2 minutes for Fiji 7s. He's officially inelegible for the Wallabies. Thanks for nothing, Hayne. Come back to the NRL, please. Now you are useless for Aussie Rugby

A man can only have so many dreams, clearly being a Wallaby wasn't one of his.

I would like to see him doesn't make the squad for Rio

That's just petty.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
He has a few more chances, but that question you have to ask, is he in the top 12 in Fiji? Is he even in the top 20 - 30?

I'd say not, and he has spent the last 1.5 years working his body into completely the wrong type of fitness, size and shape for sevens as well. He won't be unable to fix that in time for the Olympic.

If he was coming right off from when played League, I would have backed him, but 1.5 years later, nope, not now.

Status
Not open for further replies.