• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

JOC (James O'Connor) Gooonne

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
Meh, might turn out to be the best thing for all involved. I would have been happy to have him at the Force, but equally am happy we don't have to now worry about what his contribution to the team culture will be.

Might be the catalyst for him to grow up.

biggsy

Chilla Wilson (44)
He will be forgotten just as quickly as diggers was And no big loss..

This decision by JOC (James O'Connor) is playing the game for big money now not for the passion of the game.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Good luck to him in Europe.

I hope he finds what he is looking for in life over there.

Any sporting career is very short, and the athlete needs to make the most of their skills while they can. Clearly he does not fit in with the current Wallaby model and he is better off outside it. If he is not prepared to make the sacrifices to fit within the Wobs and Soup Franchise cultures for the money he has been offered, then perhaps overseas is the best place for him.

Having left school straight into elite level rugby, he probably doesn't have any professional or trade skills to fall back on if he ends up broken, which is a risk athletes must consider increases with every game they play.

I don't really understand the ill will being directed towards him. Every year thousands of promising young Aussies depart our shores for fame, fortune and experience overseas, and many never return. He is just a kid, looking for some big boots as he appears to outgrown those on offer here. Do Aussie proud on the big stage, and make a tonne of Euros. You are going to need them.

It is the players the Wallabies reject that make the Wallabies the Best.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
I hate arrogance, and people who take things for granted - JOC (James O'Connor) fits this bill.
I also like people who are backed into a corner and fight there way back through commitment and hardwork.
JOC (James O'Connor) is so far into the corner he's fallen off the canvas (continent), I hope he fights his way back and returns sooner than later as the kid has talent.

He's a goose now, but he can change.

Shiggins

Steve Williams (59)
If he only signs a year maybe e could be back in the wallabies next year. There will e some strong competition though. We would need some injuries or guys that go backwards in form. Spieght, Tomane, cummins, beal, falau, Chris FS, foley, Mogg and guys like morahan and Bethem nocking the door down. Probably be good at inside centre but with the way Tamooa played last week I don't know. God damn we are developing some depth.

I am disappointed JOC (James O'Connor) hasn't stayed but it's not the end of the world

Scotty

David Codey (61)
I'm not saying I disagree with his not being offered a contract. But when I try and explain the reasons, they're not compelling.

The league fan asked how his form had been during these indiscretions. For all his late nights and bad behaviour he's played really well.

I don't think they are the cause just the symptoms. I suspect the cause is his personality (arrogance) in making him difficult to fit into a team environment.

Super teams don't want to offer him a contract because they don't want to deal with him. For someone with as big a talent as his it must take a pretty big personality issue for people not to look past it.

MarkJ

Bob Loudon (25)
If he only signs a year maybe he could be back in the wallabies next year.

Not according to Pulver "But just to be clear, returning to Australia in May means he would not be eligible to play for the Wallabies next year. To be crystal clear on [ARU] policy: you have to play a full domestic season of Super or club rugby in Australia to be eligible to play for the Wallabies.''

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-union/u...glish-stint-20131023-2w1pf.html#ixzz2iaUWt5v3

Though I have to ask, when did that become the policy? Wasn't there still talk of Burgess being picked for the Lions tour when he came back from Europe this year?

Shiggins

Steve Williams (59)
Not according to Pulver "But just to be clear, returning to Australia in May means he would not be eligible to play for the Wallabies next year. To be crystal clear on [ARU] policy: you have to play a full domestic season of Super or club rugby in Australia to be eligible to play for the Wallabies.''

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-union/u...glish-stint-20131023-2w1pf.html#ixzz2iaUWt5v3

Though I have to ask, when did that become the policy? Wasn't there still talk of Burgess being picked for the Lions tour when he came back from Europe this year?
That's why I think they will make an exception Burgess was a shoe in but he didn't perform

Shiggins

Steve Williams (59)
Let's be realistic about this as well. If the force wanted him they probably could
Of got him. But offering him a report 150k a year on probably a 3 year deal shows that the force only wanted him on their terms.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Personally I think going overseas for a while is probably the best thing for JOC (James O'Connor).

He needs to get himself away from the scrutiny he has rightfully put himself under through his behaviour, do a bit of soul searching and growing up.

He's an excellent player and would be likely to be in or around the Wallabies squad against next year if he was playing at the Force. I would imagine that in that situation he'd still have all the same problems he currently has.

Playing in the UK he hopefully will just be treated like anyone else and if his teammates and coaching staff don't like his behaviour they will let him know. As one of the main faces of Australian rugby in the last few years, I imagine that many coaches and other players have had to treat him with kid gloves because he has been a valuable yet poisoned asset for the ARU.

JSRF10

Dick Tooth (41)
Yep. No way he's going to play/live anywhere other than London. Might do him some good to live in Exeter or Gloucester.

He might be disappointed when he finds out that London Irish train and play in Reading, a soulless outpost which is about 40 minutes on a train from London Paddington. On the upside Reading Walkabout does 1.50GBP jagaer bombs so he can entertain himself while he is there.

Status
Not open for further replies.