• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

John Eales Medal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Henry

Bill Watson (15)
going by the G&GR points this was our tally (based on 3-2-1s) for the Spring Tour.

I won't give anything away about the current season yet however.

Suspense is killing me. Apart from the top few i think it'll be fairly close.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Spoiler alert. ARU have released progressive scores as at June 10.

If you want the full story from the ARU. follow the links to this spoiler.

http://rugby.com.au/news/wallabies_2010/david_pocock_leads_john_eales_medal_count,140262.html

I have not posted the text here to preserve the debate.

I think a three stage progressive scoring announcements kinda takes some of the surprise of the final announcement.

I am not surprised who were the Stage 1 (last years EOYT) and Stage 2 (June 10) Medal count progressive top 5.

Is it appropriate to publish progressive totals, due to the potential negative impact on team morale and harmony if players focus on where they are in the count, or are the Men in Gold hardened professionals who are oblivious to selfish grand standing?

It is one thing to guess who is the best player, and therefore most likely to get the gong at the end of the year, but to know with absolute certainty what the leaderboard is 2/3 of the way through the season is wrong IMHO.

Bit like the taxi driver telling you the final score in the test match you were unable to see live, but were rushing home to see the replay of.:angryfire:

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
One thing this does highlight to me is how important Palu was for us last year. He was leading after the EOYT till he got crocked. McCalman has been an interesting newcomer but Oh! how we missed Cliffy's big hits and big runs. It would have made a big difference to a few of the results I reckon.

Reddy!

Bob Davidson (42)
Is there a try of the year award as well?

Would probably have to give it to Beale; through the hands of Cooper, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper), JOC (James O'Connor) and then Beale for the try against the Saffers.

#1 Tah

Chilla Wilson (44)
Wallabies Player of the year: David Pockock
Rookie of the year: Kurtley Beale
7s Player of the year: Vanderglas

when is the awards night?

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
from the ARU:

TOP TEN CONTENDERS ANNOUNCED FOR JOHN EALES MEDAL

The top ten contenders for the 2010 John Eales Medal have been unveiled on Wednesday with Qantas Wallabies inside centre Matt Giteau having the chance to carry off back-to-back wins for the first time in the nine-year history of Australian Rugby’s most prestigious award.

Qantas Wallabies captain Rocky Elsom, flyhalf Quade Cooper, Bloemfontein hero Kurtley Beale, utility back Adam Ashley-Cooper and halfbacks Will Genia and Luke Burgess are also in the running to claim Rugby’s top individual honour which will be presented at the annual ARU awards night on 21 October in Sydney.

Last year’s runner-up and 2007 winner Nathan Sharpe is in line for his second medal on the back of an outstanding season while mid-year points leaders Wycliff Palu and David Pocock also feature among the top 10 nominees.

Members of the public can vote for their favourite Qantas Wallabies player online at www.rugby.com.au from Friday to decide who from the shortlist will take home the treasured Australia’s Choice - Qantas Wallaby of the Year award.

Qantas Wallabies prop Benn Robinson topped the online poll last year and was crowned the season’s most outstanding player by the public.

This year, the Australian Rugby Union and the Rugby Union Players Association decided to unveil two progressive vote updates in the countdown to the presentation of the John Eales Medal.

Palu led the count from Giteau after the five-Test Spring Tour campaign against New Zealand, England, Ireland, Scotland and Wales before injury saw the storming backrower ruled out for the rest of the year.

Pocock leapt into first place following the inbound Tests against Fiji in Canberra, England in Perth and Sydney and Ireland in Brisbane through June.

Heading into the Bundaberg Red Tri Nations, Giteau trailed Pocock by three points while young gun Cooper stormed into contention and third place ahead of Palu and Queensland teammate Genia.

The 2010 John Eales Medal is decided by polling from 15 Tests – the five on last year’s Spring Tour, the four in June, and the six in the Bundaberg Red Tri Nations.

Voting for the John Eales Medal is undertaken after each Test and involves every member of the Qantas Wallabies game-day squad.

The 22 players each cast votes on a 3-2-1 basis.

Other awards presented on the night will be the Joe French Award, Rookie of the Year, Try of the Year, Women’s Player of the Year, Sevens Player of the Year – Shawn Mackay Award, Volunteer of the Year, Under 20s Player of the Year, Referee of the Year and the 2010 Hall of Fame inductees will also be honoured.

2010 JOHN EALES MEDAL STAGE 1 PROGRESSIVE COUNT
(After last year’s Spring Tour)
WYCLIFF PALU 113
MATT GITEAU 102
DAVID POCOCK 86
WILL GENIA 72
ADAM ASHLEY-COOPER 52

2010 JOHN EALES MEDAL STAGE 2 PROGRESSIVE COUNT
(After just-completed June Tests against Fiji, England and Ireland)
DAVID POCOCK 149
MATT GITEAU 146
QUADE COOPER 130
WYCLIFF PALU 113
WILL GENIA 74

2010 JOHN EALES MEDAL NOMINEES
(with votes to come from the Bundaberg Red Tri Nations)
MATT GITEAU, ROCKY ELSOM, QUADE COOPER, KURTLEY BEALE, WILL GENIA, ADAM ASHLEY-COOPER, NATHAN SHARPE, WYCLIFF PALU, DAVID POCOCK, LUKE BURGESS

Previous winners of the John Eales Medal are:
2002 – GEORGE SMITH
2003 – PHIL WAUGH
2004 – DAVID LYONS
2005 – JEREMY PAUL
2006 – CHRIS LATHAM
2007 – NATHAN SHARPE
2008 – GEORGE SMITH
2009 – MATT GITEAU

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
I remember the year Latham one it. It was over almost before it began. Shit it was a cricket score.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
After Giteau won it last year I said it devalued the whole thing. The fact he is again near the top despite being woefully out of form (and blissfully unaware of the fact judging from some of his press conferences) and performing at a very average level has re-enforced this view with me.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
Giteau's goal kicking lost THREE matches in the survey period...

Gits has been very hot and cold. Because you don't lose points for playing crap, that hasn't hurt him. I would reckon he's been getting points every third or fourth test, which is about the proportion of tests where he is playing OK. Structurally 3/2/1 scoring tends to discriminate against the steady, reliable, non-flashy player and yet will tell you erratic players who occasionally play well have had a great year.

Still, if Giteau wins or even gets close this year I'll start throwing things at the TV.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
After Giteau won it last year I said it devalued the whole thing. The fact he is again near the top despite being woefully out of form (and blissfully unaware of the fact judging from some of his press conferences) and performing at a very average level has re-enforced this view with me.

I remember the year Latham one it. It was over almost before it began. Shit it was a cricket score.

How the hell does Giteau get these points? Is it like Wheel of Fortune and he buys a vowel?

Gits has been very hot and cold. Because you don't lose points for playing crap, that hasn't hurt him. I would reckon he's been getting points every third or fourth test, which is about the proportion of tests where he is playing OK. Structurally 3/2/1 scoring tends to discriminate against the steady, reliable, non-flashy player and yet will tell you erratic players who occasionally play well have had a great year.

Still, if Giteau wins or even gets close this year I'll start throwing things at the TV.

22 players can award a maximum of 66 points to an individual for a Blinder. There are 132 points on offer each game. Out of a possible 660 points on the spring tour Gits got 102. The Stage 1 Progressive count accounts for 425 points leaving 235 points across the rest of the squad with no one above 52 points individually.

Stage 2 games provided an opportunity to add a further 528 points. In this period we know that Genia accounted for 2 of those 528 points, Bam Bam accounted for 63, Cooper got at least 78, and our man Gits got 44. This is just 187 points out of a possible 528. A further 341 points were allocated to the rest of the squad.

The 6 3N tests will throw up 792 possible points. If Bam Bam does not get at least 300 of those points then something is wrong in the state of Denmark. The issue is not will Bam Bam win the medal but by how much?

My tip is the silver medalist will be daylight at least 150 points in arrears. Nearly enough runs on the board to enforce the follow on.

Any tips on the 2010 Hall of Fame inductees?

Status
Not open for further replies.