• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

John I Dent Cup 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

No.8

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Uni-Norths from what I can see are struggling big time, in the 48 games they have played across 5 grades this year, they have won only the one game in second grade, on the weekend against Easts. This is surprising because they have always had a strong colts team. This is why I think it is unfair what the Brumbies have done with giving Easts such a big allocation of players, you could argue that this has been at the expense of Uni. I really hope they can be competitive again, I am sure they will be, we were in that position not too long ago.

Maybe due to Easts being so poor over the last couple of season (not including this season) the Brumbies somewhat forgot about Uni who were not doing great but by in no means were doing badly - You would think the Brumbies/Uni will do some major recruiting and influx of Brumbies fringe players for next season just to try and level it up abit.

Grant Jones

Ted Fahey (11)
Maybe due to Easts being so poor over the last couple of season (not including this season) the Brumbies somewhat forgot about Uni who were not doing great but by in no means were doing badly - You would think the Brumbies/Uni will do some major recruiting and influx of Brumbies fringe players for next season just to try and level it up abit.
Yeah let's hope they get a few fringe players, but I don't think they should rely on this alone. A real focus for us to get out of the dark times was to focus on cols age players and we are now seeing a benefit in the grades. I think this would be the best way for uni to go about it, and why I think Easts only have a short term fix with what they are doing as they don't even have a colts team.

No.8

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Yeah let's hope they get a few fringe players, but I don't think they should rely on this alone. A real focus for us to get out of the dark times was to focus on cols age players and we are now seeing a benefit in the grades. I think this would be the best way for uni to go about it, and why I think Easts only have a short term fix with what they are doing as they don't even have a colts team.

Is there alot more Grammar players now moving to Easts as did Marist players with Royals and Eddies with Qbn - if so they could start to get some good players coming through due to Grammar having acouple of good 1st XV teams over the last couple of years.

I guess Uni is in abit of a shit position in regards to my comment above because they dont really have a feeder school would they? Eagles have Dara - then Uni must just feed off who hasnt gone to a club?

Empire

Syd Malcolm (24)
Is there alot more Grammar players now moving to Easts

I guess Uni is in abit of a shit position in regards to my comment above because they dont really have a feeder school would they? Eagles have Dara - then Uni must just feed off who hasnt gone to a club?

There certainly are more Grammar boys at Easts, however many end up leaving Canberra entirely to study.

St Edmunds was Easts feeder since its building in 1954, and the current state of play will hopefully change. Easts allowed Queanbeyan into St Edmunds to assist their revival, so it's disingenuous from some to think it should stay that way. Sure, target the 30% of the school that is Queanbeyan, but they should be encouraged to run recruitment and programmes in Queanbeyan itself (Karabar and Queanbeyan high for example).

Uni has TWO universities to use to network, support and awesome publically subsidised facilities that can be used for Rugby. Player numbers etc aren't their problem, it's making their assets work for them.

Grant Jones

Ted Fahey (11)
There certainly are more Grammar boys at Easts, however many end up leaving Canberra entirely to study.

St Edmunds was Easts feeder since its building in 1954, and the current state of play will hopefully change. Easts allowed Queanbeyan into St Edmunds to assist their revival, so it's disingenuous from some to think it should stay that way. Sure, target the 30% of the school that is Queanbeyan, but they should be encouraged to run recruitment and programmes in Queanbeyan itself (Karabar and Queanbeyan high for example).

Uni has TWO universities to use to network, support and awesome publically subsidised facilities that can be used for Rugby. Player numbers etc aren't their problem, it's making their assets work for them.
I would suggest the number of rugby players in senior rugby at St Edmunds from QBN would be much higher than 30%!
I don't know why any school should be seen as a 'feeder' for clubs. We feel that players come to play at QBN because of the environment we provide as a club. We have one meeting at Eddies to offer the chance to come our club, I believe Tuggeranong do a lot more work there. Our whole mindset going into Eddies in the beginning was to just get QBN boys to come back and play for the Whites, and it has turned out that a few of their mates have followed them.
We also do have former Grammer and Marist students at our club as well.
To suggest we at QBN should recruit from QBN high schools is like suggesting Easts recruit from Narrabundah College, there just aren't a great number of rugby players that go there.
I do agree that Uni have a massive number of potential recruits to seek out at 2 universities, the problem is how do you encourage them to play for your club and continue to play when the club is struggling so much?

Empire

Syd Malcolm (24)
I meant total students, not just Rugby. As a Queanbeyan based St Edmunds/Narrabundah old boy, I would say 30% would be close to the mark. In any case, the local club should (and at present) does have the most access to the school.

Narrabundah, Karabar and Queanbeyan high – along with many other untapped schools are unknown resources. Clubs should be assisted by the Brumbies to get in and develop a rugby programme in conjunction with the local junior/senior clubs. With ~500 16-18 year old males at Narrabundah for example, getting a team together should be possible. The same applies for the Whites and Karabar and Queanbeyan High. Lots of potential. Time, resources, money and a will to try something different are the problem (as always).

There should be feeder schools – local clubs should run talent programmes, trainings and coaching support with their local schools, private and non-private alike. This should be approached not only as beneficial for the club, but for the Brumbies and Rugby alike. Growing the game should be a priority across the region, not having all clubs compete for the existing stocks.

You provide cheap/subsidized gym access (which they get), jobs, proper development pathways/exposure and most importantly, culture.

Uni has some of these assets in abundance – why it isn’t working for them isn’t for me to comment on. Given that Easts have struggled terribly since ’09, your concern for the Owls after half a season is interesting – we struggled for four years with many clubs not giving a damn.

Grant Jones

Ted Fahey (11)
Agr
I meant total students, not just Rugby. As a Queanbeyan based St Edmunds/Narrabundah old boy, I would say 30% would be close to the mark. In any case, the local club should (and at present) does have the most access to the school.

Narrabundah, Karabar and Queanbeyan high – along with many other untapped schools are unknown resources. Clubs should be assisted by the Brumbies to get in and develop a rugby programme in conjunction with the local junior/senior clubs. With ~500 16-18 year old males at Narrabundah for example, getting a team together should be possible. The same applies for the Whites and Karabar and Queanbeyan High. Lots of potential. Time, resources, money and a will to try something different are the problem (as always).

There should be feeder schools – local clubs should run talent programmes, trainings and coaching support with their local schools, private and non-private alike. This should be approached not only as beneficial for the club, but for the Brumbies and Rugby alike. Growing the game should be a priority across the region, not having all clubs compete for the existing stocks.

You provide cheap/subsidized gym access (which they get), jobs, proper development pathways/exposure and most importantly, culture.

Uni has some of these assets in abundance – why it isn’t working for them isn’t for me to comment on. Given that Easts have struggled terribly since ’09, your concern for the Owls after half a season is interesting – we struggled for four years with many clubs not giving a damn.
Agree with a lot of what you are saying, and it should be the Brumbies trying to get into public schools, our resources at QBN don't allow us to spend much time perusing them.
I would argue that Easts with the current first XV coach they have there would have a lot more access to Eddies, we at QBN struggle to get one chance to meet the players there.
Uni have struggled for quite a while now, I would say that other clubs weren't quick to help Easts was because you made the 08 final and it was some of your own decisions that led to your demise.
I would like to see both Easts and Uni-Norths be competitive in all grades, would be good for the comp and good for rugby.

FTS

Billy Sheehan (19)
Uni-Norths in the last few years have always managed to attract some top quality players. They always seem to move to other clubs or Sydney though. If they managed to recruit these players in the first place what is stoping them now from having a few more quality players at the club? Off the top of my head some examples are Winston Wilson (Samoa u20s, now West Harbour shuts shield), Chris Suetieni (Parramatta Shute Shield), Adam Coleman (Parramatta), Jordan Macey (Played ARC for central coast), Robbie Lavery (Brumbies Academy, went to Easts) , JP Pradaud ( Aus 20s, left for Vikings), Les Makin (Was brumbies academy, now at Queanbeyan and made Aus 20s), Ron Hogden (Gordon Shute Shield), Afa Amosa (Brumbies Academy), Marc Berthelot (Brumbies Academy, now at Gunghalin) , coach Adam Fahey (now back at Queanbeyan), Junior Rasola (Now playing super rugby for Western Force) and James Ambrosini (professionally in Europe now). That's just in the last 3 years. Obviously many of these boys leave Uni Norths to peruse their careers etc, but does anybody have any insight as to how Uni managed to get these players in the first place and why they can't attract players of this standard anymore?

No.8

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Maybe its just abit of bad-luck this season for Uni not being able to get anyone on board - Agree with the post above with those players listed - they have the ability to find players - maybe as I said this year it was simply bad luck. Have they changed management at all?

ten four

Stan Wickham (3)
had some involvment with uninorths from 08 to 2011.

They had some good depth developing there as well as attracting some of the other players already mentioned in earlier posts.Their colts sides and second grade sides were very good in that period .

Some of the people involved in that development seemed to be not recognized and moved sideways (so to speak),and they are now coaching successfully at other clubs.

I was not invoved in any coaching or administative role,just an interested observer.

I think it is a bit of a closed shop there and can get a bit political ,much to the clubs detrement

Grant Jones

Ted Fahey (11)
Are Qbn starting to get on abit of a roll later in the season?
Being totally honest I don't think we have showed any great performance over the past couple of weeks to suggest that we are on a roll. With all respect to Royals, it was by no means a strong team that took our boys on Saturday week ago, but there was definitely a lot of positive signs to come out of the win over Gungahlin on the weekend. It was probably the most complete performance of the season without being brilliant. Will be a fierce battle to get those last few finals spots!

Grant Jones

Ted Fahey (11)
Today's results:
Wests 30 def Uni-Norths 0
Royals 30 def Easts 15
Queanbeyan 30 def Gungahlin 12
Did anyone watch the Royals and Easts game? Thought Easts with their stacked team would be way too strong for a depleted Royals side? Was Sokai Tai back? Who else did they have back from the team against QBN the week before? Or did the boys from the week before step up?

Rock Lobster

Larry Dwyer (12)
Did anyone watch the Royals and Easts game? Thought Easts with their stacked team would be way too strong for a depleted Royals side? Was Sokai Tai back? Who else did they have back from the team against QBN the week before? Or did the boys from the week before step up?

The Royals team against Easts was even weaker than the one that faced QBN but it was a case of them aiming up & Easts playing some VERY dumb rugby. The Easts pack was dominating the scrum contests yet, incredibly, when they had a series of 5 metre scrums just before half time which they could have easily pushed over, their No.8 picked up the ball at the back & had a crack himself! For the most part Easts looked the stronger side but executed poorly & just played dumb. Royals attacked the breakdown & took their chances for an outstanding win. Their 2 Brumbies Siliva & Swaneapool make a difference but the younger players really stood up. Should be back to full strength after the break this week with Tai, Staniforth, Cusack, Sutton, Johnson & McMahon all due back.

Grant Jones

Ted Fahey (11)
The Royals team against Easts was even weaker than the one that faced QBN but it was a case of them aiming up & Easts playing some VERY dumb rugby. The Easts pack was dominating the scrum contests yet, incredibly, when they had a series of 5 metre scrums just before half time which they could have easily pushed over, their No.8 picked up the ball at the back & had a crack himself! For the most part Easts looked the stronger side but executed poorly & just played dumb. Royals attacked the breakdown & took their chances for an outstanding win. Their 2 Brumbies Siliva & Swaneapool make a difference but the younger players really stood up. Should be back to full strength after the break this week with Tai, Staniforth, Cusack, Sutton, Johnson & McMahon all due back.
Yeah right, doesn't help our finals ambitions at QBN but I was kind of glad to see Easts get beat, maybe their coach meant it when he said he doesn't care if they don't win another game all year after beating us the other week, even they have beaten Uni since! With that calibre of players coming back I think Royals will be making Tuggeranong nervous!

Rock Lobster

Larry Dwyer (12)
Tuggeranong
Wests
Royals
And I'd like to say QBN but it will be very close with Gungahlin

Agree with Grant. Top 3 look pretty safe with the Whites & Eagles battling for 4th spot. Looking at the draw I'd say the Whites might scrape in but they wouldn't want it to be riding on their last game against Royals when the Eagles have the bye & a guaranteed 4 points

Status
Not open for further replies.