• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

John I Dent Cup 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

FTS

Billy Sheehan (19)
I've found over the years at School boy level, WA & ACT dependant on the year can be quiet even in ability. This WA side had a number of players in the wider training squad with Force.

Apparently the WA u20s had 8 boys that played for the Force A that beat Reds A last week, and those boys all did pre season with the Force. Maybe they are reaping the rewards of better development pathways out west, time will tell

kiwistallion

Bob McCowan (2)
Act vs a team from Argentina on Sunday at rmc followed by Tonga a on the 9th then Samoa a on the 15th at canberra stadium and the Argentina sode play Tonga on the 19th at rmc

No.8

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Act vs a team from Argentina on Sunday at rmc followed by Tonga a on the 9th then Samoa a on the 15th at canberra stadium and the Argentina sode play Tonga on the 19th at rmc

Did you know what time the game is tomorrow?

I am guessing they will play on the same oval as they did V the Brumbies acouple of weeks back.

No.8

Phil Hardcastle (33)
anyone go to the game? I saw the ACT side lost.

Yea mate - to be honest it was a really good game - the ACT side that played yesterday was far better than the side that played V the Brumbies (guessing because there were alot more "Brumbies" players playing yesterday) - was wondering why alot of the games are now being played at RMC - maybe a possible home ground for the 3rd tier comp?

griffins

Bill Watson (15)
Yea mate - to be honest it was a really good game - the ACT side that played yesterday was far better than the side that played V the Brumbies (guessing because there were alot more "Brumbies" players playing yesterday) - was wondering why alot of the games are now being played at RMC - maybe a possible home ground for the 3rd tier comp?

i doubt it as it isn't enclosed...

Any good performances? The paper suggests Cree was pretty good again.

No.8

Phil Hardcastle (33)
i doubt it as it isn't enclosed.

Any good performances? The paper suggests Cree was pretty good again.

Cree was great - not sure what else he needs to do to get a fulltime contract?

No.1 - Jean-Pierre Smith - this dude is good! he looks better than alot of aussie props running around in the Super Rugby at the moment.

Rod Iona was good/Matt Hawke had some great runs - the young guy Tom Staniforth - for like 19 yrs old? He has got a big future - he was one of the tallest guys (if not the tallest) and biggest frame - once he fills into it...holy shit.

To be honest most players played very well - I think most know they are playing for a contract be it here or someone else in Aus - so they were really pushing it - the level was good for this time of year.
Team that played yesterday.

ACT XV1. Jean-Pierre Smith
2. Josh Mann-Rea
3. Allan Ala'alatoa
4. Jack Whetton
5. Dave McKern
6. Jordan Smiler
7. Michael Smith
8. Tim Cree
9. Pedro Rolando
10. Rod Iona
11. Clyde Rathbone
12. Matt Hawke
13. Mitch Connolly
14. Stephan Van Der Walt
15. Ben Johnston

Replacements
16. JP Predaud
17. Michael Henry
18. Les Making
19. Tom Staniforth
20. Sam Latinupulu
21. Eden Campbell-O'brien
22. Isaac Thomas
23. Jerome Numita

G

getemback10sir

How long until the comp starts?
Anyone willing to give a list of the gains from each club?
I wonder if those involved in the ACT XV games will benefit from the extra games and fitness in the pre season...
Time will tell....

T

turnovertwopasses

Comp starts on April 5 champion....
And well, you'd have to assume the extra game fitness will help all involved...
Great to see ACT involved in the tournament :)

Charlie Brown

Chris McKivat (8)
Think it prob shows that schoolboy rugby is def not as strong as it was in the ACT 9,10+ years ago - For me (and dont get me wrong I havnt followed schoolboy rugby with an eagle eye) but the last great 1st XV side to come out of Canberra was was Saia and Anthony were playing for St Eddies - around the 2003/2004 mark.

Any1 think there has been a better 1st XV side since from any of the schools in Canberra?

I am aware of 7 Boys from ACT Schoolboys side of 2010. They came from pretty much across the board - Marist, Eddies, Mackillop & Erindale Colleges.
Not a bad year. Erindale College won the 1st XV Grand final that year against Marist College.

ALSO - Some news from ACT U20's selections into combined states side for National U20's championships being played in late March 2014 at Viking Park. Below are some of the players I am aware have made it through.

Tom Staniforth - Second Row -ACT Griffins, ACT Schoolboys 2012, U20's OZ 2013, Royals, EPG Brumbies

Rowan Perry - NO.7, Schoolboys 2011 NSW1, U20's Brumbies 2013, U20's OZ trial 2013, Vikings 1st Grade/Colts

Andrew Robinson - Wing/Centre/FB - OZ Schoolboys 2011/12, U20's Oz camp 2013, U20's brumbies 2013, Vikings colts/1sts

Joel Penders - Prop, U20's Brumbies 2013, U20's OZ trial 2013, ACT School boys 2012, Royals Ists

Connell McInerney - Hooker/Lose forward, ACT Schoolboys 2012/13, OZ Schoolboys 2013, Vikings colts/1sts?

Young No.9 from Vikings 1sts/colts 2013. Cant remember his name off hand.
He has been an ACT Schoolboy 2011/12 & moved pretty much straight into Vikings 1st grade as their developing NO.9 in 2013. Should be starting 9 for Vikings this year all going well with trial games.

I think that the young centre out of Eddies who made OZ A and touring OZ side in 2013. (JR is the name I know him by) also made it. I think he's playing for Q'byn whites this year in colts/1sts?

Lets hope these local boys do us proud and I expect that we should get AT LEAST a couple through to U20's OZ.

No.8

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Cheers mate!

Does anyone have the draw for the u20's starting this week at Vikings Park?

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Cheers mate!

Does anyone have the draw for the u20's starting this week at Vikings Park?

This is taken from the ARU site

Sat 22nd March
2:45pm Qld v Tonga
6:30pm NSW v Southern States & Country Regions

Monday 24th March
4:00pm NSW v Tonga
5:45pm Qld v Southern States & Country Regions

Wednesday 26th March
2:00pm Tonga v Southern States & Country Regions
3:45pm Qld v NSW

Charlie Brown

Chris McKivat (8)
Vikings 1sts/2nds/Colts went up to Warringah on the weekend - think 1st and 2nd's lost - not sure about Colts.

The colts lost also. From what I've heard, 1sts lost 6 tries to 4. First 2 tries from Manly were from broken play, all of vikings tries were from set peace play. Supporters say Vikings had the upper hand most of the game.

No.8

Phil Hardcastle (33)
This is taken from the ARU site

Sat 22nd March
2:45pm Qld v Tonga
6:30pm NSW v Southern States & Country Regions

Monday 24th March
4:00pm NSW v Tonga
5:45pm Qld v Southern States & Country Regions

Wednesday 26th March
2:00pm Tonga v Southern States & Country Regions
3:45pm Qld v NSW

Cheers mate! strange they have the 2nd game on the Saturday much later - guess it gives people time to go eat etc

Status
Not open for further replies.