• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

John I Dent Cup 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

No.8

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Interesting story in the Canberra times about the NRC Brumbies and Vikings both putting in proposals and Collingwood?

http://www.canberratimes.com.au/rug...ional-rugby-championships-20140102-307uo.html

Lets be honest you would have to think the Vikings will be one of the teams to be included in the NRC - I think it would be a shock if they were not there - also lets be honest they are in the top 2-3 richest clubs in Australia so they have plenty of backing - they prob make more money in a week than some clubs make in years....

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
If there were two teams and one was run by the Brumbies, which team would get at least the bulk of the Brumbies' squad players not involved in internationals? 35 squad members minus say 12 players in tests or injured leaves a pretty good squad for the NRC entity. The second team would then be mostly made up of JID players as I see it playing out. May not be competitive against some of the stronger NRC teams but would be a great opportunity for the JID players involved.

Hope some of the games are played at the new Gungahlin ground, but I do see a problem managing access and charging for entry. The ground is presently open to public view from three sides, albeit at a distance due to the adjacent AFL ground and car parking areas.

No.8

Phil Hardcastle (33)
If there were two teams and one was run by the Brumbies, which team would get at least the bulk of the Brumbies' squad players not involved in internationals? 35 squad members minus say 12 players in tests or injured leaves a pretty good squad for the NRC entity. The second team would then be mostly made up of JID players as I see it playing out. May not be competitive against some of the stronger NRC teams but would be a great opportunity for the JID players involved.

Hope some of the games are played at the new Gungahlin ground, but I do see a problem managing access and charging for entry. The ground is presently open to public view from three sides, albeit at a distance due to the adjacent AFL ground and car parking areas.

Have the Eagles built a new ground? was not aware - any pics?

I honestly think Viking Park would be the only real ground in Canberra that would make sense....I cant really think of anywhere else...

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)

I honestly think Viking Park would be the only real ground in Canberra that would make sense..I cant really think of anywhere else.

Two playing grounds, Rugby and AFL side by side completed. Covered Grandstand just being completed on the western side so that patrons won't have sun in the eyes. Seems to be good car parking areas provided. If entry fee is charged, I presume a curtain of some sort would be erected on the perimeter fence. I haven't got any photos, but maybe someone reading these posts could put one up.

No.8

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Two playing grounds, Rugby and AFL side by side completed. Covered Grandstand just being completed on the western side so that patrons won't have sun in the eyes. Seems to be good car parking areas provided. If entry fee is charged, I presume a curtain of some sort would be erected on the perimeter fence. I haven't got any photos, but maybe someone reading these posts could put one up.

Sounds good! def a possible location - I guess they will have to work out where most of the rugby commuity is coming from - be it more the woden/tuggeranong side of town or the gunners/belco side of town....

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Lets be honest you would have to think the Vikings will be one of the teams to be included in the NRC - I think it would be a shock if they were not there - also lets be honest they are in the top 2-3 richest clubs in Australia so they have plenty of backing - they prob make more money in a week than some clubs make in years..

The article states that there are two Vikings bids - one stand alone, and a joint venture with the Brumbies.........

I think we can assume the joint bid with the Brumbies will be the one that gets the go ahead as their combined resources and finances would form a solid foundation..........

Having two Canberra teams would be a real achievement but I can't see the ARU accepting a bid from the Brumbies/ACTRU and a stand alone club side as there would be some serious conflicting issues.........

No.8

Phil Hardcastle (33)
The article states that there are two Vikings bids - one stand alone, and a joint venture with the Brumbies...

I think we can assume the joint bid with the Brumbies will be the one that gets the go ahead as their combined resources and finances would form a solid foundation....

Having two Canberra teams would be a real achievement but I can't see the ARU accepting a bid from the Brumbies/ACTRU and a stand alone club side as there would be some serious conflicting issues...

I agree you would have to think the Brumbies/Vikings bid will get it - and it will be back to the Canberra or ACT Vikings - this combo would (you would think) have the strongest financial backing in the country....besides maybe syd uni....

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)

I honestly think Viking Park would be the only real ground in Canberra that would make sense..I cant really think of anywhere else.

Gungahlin Rugby Park.jpg
Gungahlin Rugby Park.jpg

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
That new oval makes no sense. the AFL side out there have said they won't play there and got a grant to upgrade the facilities at Amaroo oval.

Cricket and soccer are mostly played at Harrison so having the AFL part of it looks to be a waste.

In other news, do any of the Queanbeyan contingent know about Sam Windsor off to Ireland? Holiday or otherwise?

FTS

Billy Sheehan (19)
Any news from around the clubs?
Any gains or losses? So far I have heard:

Queanbeyan- Lost Sam Windsor to Ireland Rugby. Have gained Michael Stolberg from Brisbane who I assume is down chasing a Brumbies Contract, was apart of the National Academy and Reds College and Reds A programs.

Vikings - Few club veterans retired after least years successes. Have gained Isaac Thompson, ITM cup experience for Manawatu, played for Souths in the Brisbane comp last year.

Uni-Norths - Gained 2 Welsh players via Albury who can play apparently. Also a boy from Queensland who has moved to play Brumbies 20s.

Royals - Eddie Laagali who played Brumbies Juniors from Wagga , and Ben Leaper who will be Griffins standard.

Wests - No news, always good for a few recruits though, anyone heard anything?

Gunghalin - No news, great to see an awesome new facility for them to use though.

Easts- Quite a few Kiwis coming over apparently.

No.8

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Any news from around the clubs?
Any gains or losses? So far I have heard:

Queanbeyan- Lost Sam Windsor to Ireland Rugby. Have gained Michael Stolberg from Brisbane who I assume is down chasing a Brumbies Contract, was apart of the National Academy and Reds College and Reds A programs.

Vikings - Few club veterans retired after least years successes. Have gained Isaac Thompson, ITM cup experience for Manawatu, played for Souths in the Brisbane comp last year.

Uni-Norths - Gained 2 Welsh players via Albury who can play apparently. Also a boy from Queensland who has moved to play Brumbies 20s.

Royals - Eddie Laagali who played Brumbies Juniors from Wagga , and Ben Leaper who will be Griffins standard.

Wests - No news, always good for a few recruits though, anyone heard anything?

Gunghalin - No news, great to see an awesome new facility for them to use though.

Easts- Quite a few Kiwis coming over apparently.

The Welsh players to Uni - I think are a prop/fullback (or maybe 5/8) - played in the Brumbies Provincial championships last year for Southern Inland - good players - we will see if they are John I Dent standard.

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
As requested:

ACT XV
1. JP Smith (Queanbeyan Whites)
2. Josh Mann-Rea (Gungahlin Eagles)
3. Allan Ala'alatoa (Uni-North Owls)
4. Dave McKern (Western District)
5. Tom Staniforth (Canberra Royals)
6. Tim Cree (Tuggeranong Vikings)
7. Michael Smith (Western District)
8. Ben McGee (Gungahlin Eagles)
9. Conrad Hoffman (Gungahlin Eagles)
10. Isaac Thompson (Tuggeranong Vikings)
11. Jerome Niumata (Tuggeranong Vikings)
12. Matt Hawke (Gungahlin Eagles)
13. Mitch Connolly (Gungahlin Eagles)
14. Drew Southwell (Western District)
15. Ben Johnson (Canberra Royals)

Replacements
16. Patricio Noreiga (Gungahlin Eagles)
17. Carl Elliott (Western District)
18. JP Pradaud (Tuggeranong Vikings)
19. Gareth Clouston (Tuggeranong Vikings)
20. Michael Stolberg (Queanbeyan Whites)
21. Xavier Duffy (Gungahlin Eagles)
22. Sam Latunipulu (Queanbeyan Whites)
23. Jono Naoupu (Eastern Suburbs)
24. Eden Campbell O’Brien (Uni-North Owls)
25. Pedro Rolando (Canberra Royals)
26. Altus Momsen (Queanbeyan Whites)
27. HP Momsen (Queanbeyan Whites)
28. Jack Pinchin (Western District)

griffins

Alfred Walker (16)
As requested:

ACT XV
1. JP Smith (Queanbeyan Whites)
2. Josh Mann-Rea (Gungahlin Eagles)
3. Allan Ala'alatoa (Uni-North Owls)
4. Dave McKern (Western District)
5. Tom Staniforth (Canberra Royals)
6. Tim Cree (Tuggeranong Vikings)
7. Michael Smith (Western District)
8. Ben McGee (Gungahlin Eagles)
9. Conrad Hoffman (Gungahlin Eagles)
10. Isaac Thompson (Tuggeranong Vikings)
11. Jerome Niumata (Tuggeranong Vikings)
12. Matt Hawke (Gungahlin Eagles)
13. Mitch Connolly (Gungahlin Eagles)
14. Drew Southwell (Western District)
15. Ben Johnson (Canberra Royals)

Replacements
16. Patricio Noreiga (Gungahlin Eagles)
17. Carl Elliott (Western District)
18. JP Pradaud (Tuggeranong Vikings)
19. Gareth Clouston (Tuggeranong Vikings)
20. Michael Stolberg (Queanbeyan Whites)
21. Xavier Duffy (Gungahlin Eagles)
22. Sam Latunipulu (Queanbeyan Whites)
23. Jono Naoupu (Eastern Suburbs)
24. Eden Campbell O’Brien (Uni-North Owls)
25. Pedro Rolando (Canberra Royals)
26. Altus Momsen (Queanbeyan Whites)
27. HP Momsen (Queanbeyan Whites)
28. Jack Pinchin (Western District)

interesting to see its not just tuggeranong supplying the new faces this year...

T

turnovertwopasses

im tipping the ACT XV to cause an upset and throw the Brumbies S15 prep in to total disarray

Status
Not open for further replies.