• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

John I Dent Cup 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

griffins

Bill Watson (15)
As requested:

ACT XV
1. JP Smith (Queanbeyan Whites)
2. Josh Mann-Rea (Gungahlin Eagles)
3. Allan Ala'alatoa (Uni-North Owls)
4. Dave McKern (Western District)
5. Tom Staniforth (Canberra Royals)
6. Tim Cree (Tuggeranong Vikings)
7. Michael Smith (Western District)
8. Ben McGee (Gungahlin Eagles)
9. Conrad Hoffman (Gungahlin Eagles)
10. Isaac Thompson (Tuggeranong Vikings)
11. Jerome Niumata (Tuggeranong Vikings)
12. Matt Hawke (Gungahlin Eagles)
13. Mitch Connolly (Gungahlin Eagles)
14. Drew Southwell (Western District)
15. Ben Johnson (Canberra Royals)

Replacements
16. Patricio Noreiga (Gungahlin Eagles)
17. Carl Elliott (Western District)
18. JP Pradaud (Tuggeranong Vikings)
19. Gareth Clouston (Tuggeranong Vikings)
20. Michael Stolberg (Queanbeyan Whites)
21. Xavier Duffy (Gungahlin Eagles)
22. Sam Latunipulu (Queanbeyan Whites)
23. Jono Naoupu (Eastern Suburbs)
24. Eden Campbell O’Brien (Uni-North Owls)
25. Pedro Rolando (Canberra Royals)
26. Altus Momsen (Queanbeyan Whites)
27. HP Momsen (Queanbeyan Whites)
28. Jack Pinchin (Western District)

Thought thompson and cree stood out among the non-pro players. Staniforth is a real prospect as well, doesn't take a backward step.

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
I think the problem is that no teams really want to come here so it's the best they can do. Considering it's for the home fans before the season starts too makes it hard to please everyone . Look at the Force, they had to play Samoa A which ended up with a similar score.

The last Super team to come here for a pre-season game was the Hurricanes and before that the Waratahs I believe.

Not sure what can be done about it and offering money isn't going to work.

No.8

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Were there alot of players not able to be selected for the ACT XV? didnt seem like the cream of the crop - of course there were some standouts but then some that just looked totally out of place.

Have alot of players left? Retired? Injured?

I am guessing a good % of those guys will be part of the ACT team later in the year for the 3rd tier comp?

griffins

Bill Watson (15)
Were there alot of players not able to be selected for the ACT XV? didnt seem like the cream of the crop - of course there were some standouts but then some that just looked totally out of place.

Have alot of players left? Retired? Injured?

I am guessing a good % of those guys will be part of the ACT team later in the year for the 3rd tier comp?

Don't think anyone in particular was missing? Pedro was an interesting choice as back up fly-half but did a pretty good job. Penca the most obvious omission for mine, but while the Brumbies are pumping resources into certain players other arguably more deserving players are going to miss out I suppose.

No.8

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Would you still consider Penca up there? Havnt seen him play for a number of years.

Did he ever get a professional contract at any point?

griffins

Bill Watson (15)
Would you still consider Penca up there? Havnt seen him play for a number of years.

Did he ever get a professional contract at any point?

Never pro, maybe aus 20s or similar. Size prevented him going further. He is still as hard as anyone going around and as competitive as anyone I've seen. Was great for the griffins last year against Country, made the linebreak which set up the match winning try...

Michael Walker

Peter Burge (5)
can someone inform me on which clubs will receive the majority of last years year 12's ?..... wanting to know which colts sides will be strong

FTS

Billy Sheehan (19)
can someone inform me on which clubs will receive the majority of last years year 12's ?... wanting to know which colts sides will be strong
Vikings picked up a good mixture of Marist, Eddies and Vikings u18 boys, Royals picked up some handy players from Marist as usual and Queanbeyan some good eddies boys including Aus Schoolboy Keith Morgan. Not sure on other clubs but I'm tipping those 3 sides to be the front runners.

Michael Walker

Peter Burge (5)
Vikings picked up a good mixture of Marist, Eddies and Vikings u18 boys, Royals picked up some handy players from Marist as usual and Queanbeyan some good eddies boys including Aus Schoolboy Keith Morgan. Not sure on other clubs but I'm tipping those 3 sides to be the front runners.

thanks for that information... so looks like the usual sides playing finals footy this year.

FTS

Billy Sheehan (19)
thanks for that information. so looks like the usual sides playing finals footy this year.
It would seem that way. Vikings have 11 players in the Brumbies u20s side but a few of them will play grade this season instead of colts I'd say. Also apparently Uni Norths numbers are very high so if there is some talent in that group they could be a darkhorse.

No.8

Phil Hardcastle (33)
I think one of Vikings focuses this season is to blood alot of colts players into 1st grade - considering they have a huge pool of talent there - (11 players in Brumbies u20's) - skill is def there - will have to see how they go with the size, strength, power difference though.....

Almost 2 old

Chris McKivat (8)
The hardest thing for the Owls U20's is how many of their U20's players will be used in their 1s & 2s. If they don't use any then they may surprise some of the more fancied shows in Colts. Not every body who comes to town and has previously worn their states colours as 16's 17's & 18's wants to play for the big 3.

No.8

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Any word on Easts?

I guess last year they took some good steps forward - but I have heard nothing from them as of yet? I am guessing they would of started pre-season for at least 1st/2nds.

No.8

Phil Hardcastle (33)
does anybody the result of the act vs nsw a game today an what the squad was

Didnt even know a game was played? ACTRU are not great at advertising these sort of games lol...

Was it senior level? or like u20's?

Where was it played?

humanbeast

Ted Fahey (11)
does anybody the result of the act vs nsw a game today an what the squad was
I was in Sydney for work and went out to the tahs game, I didn't catch the curtain raiser but I have the match program here.
image.jpg

No.8

Phil Hardcastle (33)
I find it surprising that WA beat ACT - I dont know if thats a bad sign or a bad sign for Rugby in Australia?....

Will be keen to watch the comp in Canberra in late March.

No.8

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Think it prob shows that schoolboy rugby is def not as strong as it was in the ACT 9,10+ years ago - For me (and dont get me wrong I havnt followed schoolboy rugby with an eagle eye) but the last great 1st XV side to come out of Canberra was was Saia and Anthony were playing for St Eddies - around the 2003/2004 mark.

Any1 think there has been a better 1st XV side since from any of the schools in Canberra?

Status
Not open for further replies.