• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

John I Dent Cup 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grant Jones

Ted Fahey (11)
When I referred earlier to the 'parachuting' imports over your 2nd's and 3rd's, I was referring to players like Brendan Spears, Zac Tarrant, Nathan Smith - not the players you mentioned.

Without knowing if they were injured, didn't train etc - they are all very good players. I wouldn't take it for granted any player of their calibre sticking around when they could (and should) push for 1st XV/higher honours.
Could argue all day about what players could/should be in first grade. Smith was lucky to be in 3's because he rarely trained, spears was injured most of the year and Tarrant had games in first grade this year but he will even admit he prob needed more time in 2's to develop. He actually got offered a first grade spot at Easts by his cousin is Osborne, but like many players would rather play 2's at our club than first grade elsewhere because of the mates he had at Queanbeyan and how much he loves playing for the club!
We won't always be so fortunate with depth at our club, we do have a number of players who are first grade standard and some might go elsewhere for an opportunity, however I think we are better than a lot of clubs at promoting our own players. And yes we do recruit when we feel that we need a class player or two to add to our side to give us that chance of knocking off the big teams.

Toby Spencer

Stan Wickham (3)
Could argue all day about what players could/should be in first grade. Smith was lucky to be in 3's because he rarely trained, spears was injured most of the year and Tarrant had games in first grade this year but he will even admit he prob needed more time in 2's to develop. He actually got offered a first grade spot at Easts by his cousin is Osborne, but like many players would rather play 2's at our club than first grade elsewhere because of the mates he had at Queanbeyan and how much he loves playing for the club!
We won't always be so fortunate with depth at our club, we do have a number of players who are first grade standard and some might go elsewhere for an opportunity, however I think we are better than a lot of clubs at promoting our own players. And yes we do recruit when we feel that we need a class player or two to add to our side to give us that chance of knocking off the big teams.

I suggest you start a new forum 'The Great Debate - Easts v QBN' rather than spending hours pumping up your own club and criticising each other. Cheers.

Empire

Syd Malcolm (24)
Ease up mate. Perhaps chip in some information/discussion regarding your own club?

Grant's response above was measured, accurate and informative. How is that not discussion? Standard fare for an internet forum.

Given that few have contributed write match reports, info, transfers etc in the JID threads - you'll find discussion revolves around the clubs the contributors are attached to. Don't like it - contribute.

Grant Jones

Ted Fahey (11)
Ease up mate. Perhaps chip in some information/discussion regarding your own club?

Grant's response above was measured, accurate and informative. How is that not discussion? Standard fare for an internet forum.

Given that few have contributed write match reports, info, transfers etc in the JID threads - you'll find discussion revolves around the clubs the contributors are attached to. Don't like it - contribute.
Totally agree with you here, we are both giving our opinions and are proud of our clubs. Happy to discuss other matters on here but that is the topic at the moment! If we weren't contributing not many would be!

Rugby Central

Charlie Fox (21)
Love the banter, but as an old Royals man, please don't stop the Viking baiting. Canberra Rugby just isn't the same witout it:D

As I'm no longer in town, and my contempories have long jung up the boots, can anybody give an update on how people see Royals for 2014?

Grant Jones

Ted Fahey (11)
Love the banter, but as an old Royals man, please don't stop the Viking baiting. Canberra Rugby just isn't the same witout it:D

As I'm no longer in town, and my contempories have long jung up the boots, can anybody give an update on how people see Royals for 2014?

I know it is early to call, but I would have Royals as favourites for next season, haven't heard of them losing anyone and they have been able to recruit another couple of top quality players, would be a massive benefit for them to have Russell Ingram as coach with his inside knowledge at Brumbies. I think Vikings have lost a few of this years team which will bring them back a bit.

FTS

Billy Sheehan (19)

griffins

Bill Watson (15)
Quite a strong squad! Interesting a few QLD kids selected that made the trip to trial (as it was an open trial). Will be interesting if they have to move down and play John I Dent to participate?

the Qld kids are presumably those without designated clubs?

Empire

Syd Malcolm (24)
They'll all magically end up at tuggeranong no doubt.

I wouldn't assume that - a few clubs are looking to invigorate their colts programmes and will be active in recruiting. Easts and Royals have been more active here than they have been in past years.

Quite a strong squad! Interesting a few QLD kids selected that made the trip to trial (as it was an open trial). Will be interesting if they have to move down and play John I Dent to participate?

It'd be safe to assume they will have to become local players? - I very much hope so. Onus will be on clubs to accommodate these new young players with education/work/development opportunities.

Bugeye

Allen Oxlade (6)
Grant there is a rumour going around that Queanbeyan have signed a quality 2 meter lock from the Qld premier division for 2014 can you confirm

FTS

Billy Sheehan (19)
They'll all magically end up at tuggeranong no doubt.
Of the coaching and support staff involved with the Brumbies u20 program Frank Condi, Russell Ingram and Craig Lesberg all have ties to Royals so that influence could see a few go there. Will be good for the Colts/local competition either way

griffins

Bill Watson (15)
Of the coaching and support staff involved with the Brumbies u20 program Frank Condi, Russell Ingram and Craig Lesberg all have ties to Royals so that influence could see a few go there. Will be good for the Colts/local competition either way
Ingram's involved? fantastic...

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
There are a few regional guys who have been picked up by JID clubs.

From Wales via Albury Steamers - James Olds (5/8) and Scott Meakins (prop) are headed to Uni/Norths.

Wagga Ag College lose Ben Leaper (2nd Row/Back row) to Royals. Leaper had a trial with the Brumbies Academy earlier this year.

Royals also gain Eddie Lagaali (centre) from Wagga City. Some Royals fans might remember Eddie's brother Jason from the early 2000's who first moved over with Robbie and AJ Abel.

All four of these guys played in the Brumbies Provincial team which knocked off the ASRU Warriors recently and I think is a clear indication that the Brumbies pathways are right for this area of the world.

Status
Not open for further replies.