• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

John I Dent Cup 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Empire

Syd Malcolm (24)
I thought in this day and age they didn't have to get them to "work at the bar" They could just pay them.

There is a rule limiting the 'payment' of players for playing - however a few clubs have well and truly ignored this for a while. Vikings having their huge commercial investments (as well as sponsoring the Brumbies) have been able to get away with it.

One ex-Viking mentioned that the bar work (if they actually worked) always ended with a paper bag to take home. The contents weren't of the edible variety.

Other clubs paid players in the past, and funnily enough it correlated with a lot of them losing their licensed premises. Kudo's to Vikings for being able to do this sustainably, however, one must acknowledge the unbalanced competition it has delivered at present and the ramifications it will have on ACT Rugby's future.

Rugby Central

Charlie Fox (21)
There is a rule limiting the 'payment' of players for playing - however a few clubs have well and truly ignored this for a while. Vikings having their huge commercial investments (as well as sponsoring the Brumbies) have been able to get away with it.

One ex-Viking mentioned that the bar work (if they actually worked) always ended with a paper bag to take home. The contents weren't of the edible variety.

Other clubs paid players in the past, and funnily enough it correlated with a lot of them losing their licensed premises. Kudo's to Vikings for being able to do this sustainably, however, one must acknowledge the unbalanced competition it has delivered at present and the ramifications it will have on ACT Rugby's future.

Call it blind faith.....or stupidity.....but in the long term I think it will work out. At some point Vikings will again be the representative Club from Canberra (that spleen can be vented another time) which means it will have to divert funds from it's Canberra competition teams to the larger comp. Bringing them back to the pack.

No.8

Phil Hardcastle (33)
I thought in this day and age they didn't have to get them to "work at the bar" They could just pay them.

Considering its not a professional comp they cant simply pay them - they would need to be on the payrole in the club in some respect - I am not sure if clubs simply put them down as a "bar man" but they never work behind the bar - thats a different story.

Bugeye

Allen Oxlade (6)
I know our first grade coach was talking to a second rower, but my understanding was that it was the bloke from Wagga that ended up going to Royals. I don't know anything about a QLD bloke, I'll sus it out!
Grant any updates on the classy second rower ?

No.8

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Heard from a source inside the club that Vikings are recruiting up to 10 ITM Cup players for next season:mad: If this is true it is an absolute disgrace. Their Colts have won the last 2 premierships & there is more than enough talent within that group to form the nucleus of their first grade side for years to come without having to look overseas.

Could this be a reason why Vikings could be packing their ranks for next season -

http://wwos.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=8760343

Canberra Vikings are back...

No.8

Phil Hardcastle (33)
I hear owls have recruited 2 or 3 welsh boys

Think you will find these guys have come from the Southern Inland comp - I know they have got a 15 and a prop from Albury what I remember (both over here from Wales) - both also played in the Brumbies Provincial Championships and the provincial side a month or so back.

Not sure about the 3rd though?

COYW

Frank Row (1)
Think you will find these guys have come from the Southern Inland comp - I know they have got a 15 and a prop from Albury what I remember (both over here from Wales) - both also played in the Brumbies Provincial Championships and the provincial side a month or so back.

Not sure about the 3rd though?

Good to see there trying to strengthen there squad after a disappointing season last year!
Any news coming out of Wests or Royals?

No.8

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Wouldnt that weaken the Monaro comp though? - not saying they shouldnt join - I def think the John I Dent needs at least 1-2 more teams in the comp.

Bugeye

Allen Oxlade (6)
Correct me if I am wrong but hasn't Queanbeyan relied on some colt players from Goulburn in the past.:cool:

No.8

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Goulburn or Yass used to have a No.12 I think he was in Junior level - would of been the same age group as Dan Penca - always used to have a shaved head - used to rip it up in Juniors - was one of the better junior players ive seen.

Empire

Syd Malcolm (24)
Goulburn or Yass used to have a No.12 I think he was in Junior level - would of been the same age group as Dan Penca - always used to have a shaved head - used to rip it up in Juniors - was one of the better junior players ive seen.

Pat Ryan - Cooma.

Very good player, would have been nice to see him in JID or playing black division. Awesome tackling technique, very strong and focused.

Cooma teams across sports seem to avoid the top flight, even when they dominate the division below.

Toby Spencer

Stan Wickham (3)
Good to see there trying to strengthen there squad after a disappointing season last year!

With the new recruits and some decent colts players progressing into the senior teams they may cause a few upsets next year...

Top 4 estimates?

1st Vikings
2nd Royals / Queanbeyan
3rd Queanbeyan / Royals
4th Owls (may just be wishful thinking ;))

Status
Not open for further replies.