• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

John I Dent Cup 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Empire

Syd Malcolm (24)
Wouldnt that weaken the Monaro comp though? - not saying they shouldnt join - I def think the John I Dent needs at least 1-2 more teams in the comp.

Wouldnt that weaken the Monaro comp though? - not saying they shouldnt join - I def think the John I Dent needs at least 1-2 more teams in the comp.

Perhaps it should be based around promotion/relegation between the JID and Monaro/SIRU?

I'd love to see Uni and Norths split (mainly to have two original clubs back), with Norths having access to the inner north (Dickson, Campbell, Reid, O'Connor etc). Uni should be able to stand alone given the large captive market at either ANU or UC.

Would require a reassessment and realignment of each clubs 'area' of focus - some clubs (Easts, Norths) have too small an area when compared to other clubs (Tuggeranong, Gungahlin, Queanbeyan).

Pie in the sky stuff, but it's nice to consider what may or may not be needed to grow the game locally, rather than maintain the status quo.

griffins

Alfred Walker (16)
Perhaps it should be based around promotion/relegation between the JID and Monaro/SIRU?

I'd love to see Uni and Norths split (mainly to have two original clubs back), with Norths having access to the inner north (Dickson, Campbell, Reid, O'Connor etc). Uni should be able to stand alone given the large captive market at either ANU or UC.

Would require a reassessment and realignment of each clubs 'area' of focus - some clubs (Easts, Norths) have too small an area when compared to other clubs (Tuggeranong, Gungahlin, Queanbeyan).

Pie in the sky stuff, but it's nice to consider what may or may not be needed to grow the game locally, rather than maintain the status quo.

Uni, whilst not wanting for numbers, really struggled to be competitive across the grades this year. I'm not sure there's much scope to split them up.

No.8

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Pat Ryan - Cooma.

Very good player, would have been nice to see him in JID or playing black division. Awesome tackling technique, very strong and focused.

Cooma teams across sports seem to avoid the top flight, even when they dominate the division below.

Yep that is him - new it was something Ryan - Any idea where he is playing now?

No.8

Phil Hardcastle (33)

Not sure if the Southern Inland comp could come into - I think the travel would just be to great - would be interesting to see how a team like Albury would go in the JID - they would def be able to knock over the lower placed sides Im sure.

It would be good to see some Pre-season games V the SIRU sides

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
Not sure if the Southern Inland comp could come into - I think the travel would just be to great - would be interesting to see how a team like Albury would go in the JID - they would def be able to knock over the lower placed sides Im sure.

It would be good to see some Pre-season games V the SIRU sides

Count SIRU out of the JID. It's been done before (early 2000's from memory) where SIRU slotted into the JID Pre-Season Competition and the drain on resources to this area was simply too much.

While Albury swept all before them this year and deserve all the accolades that have flowed their way in SIRU this season, 3.5hrs (7hrs return) from Albury to Canberra every second week on top of the higher standard of rugby would kill them. That's not to say that there aren't players at the Steamers who could cut it in Canberra, but the step up would not only take it's toll in terms of travel, but also depth and the additional commitment required from players, coaches, support staff would be too great. Not to mention the additional drain on the sponsors pocket. Bus trips back could get pretty epic though.

Great in theory, but the reality is very different.

No.8

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Count SIRU out of the JID. It's been done before (early 2000's from memory) where SIRU slotted into the JID Pre-Season Competition and the drain on resources to this area was simply too much.

While Albury swept all before them this year and deserve all the accolades that have flowed their way in SIRU this season, 3.5hrs (7hrs return) from Albury to Canberra every second week on top of the higher standard of rugby would kill them. That's not to say that there aren't players at the Steamers who could cut it in Canberra, but the step up would not only take it's toll in terms of travel, but also depth and the additional commitment required from players, coaches, support staff would be too great. Not to mention the additional drain on the sponsors pocket. Bus trips back could get pretty epic though.

Great in theory, but the reality is very different.

Yea mate I agree - the travel would kill the clubs and players - would be just to much.

No.8

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Vikings start "normal" Pre-season training on the 2nd of Jan - wondering if they have set this date to test players in regards to showing up considering for many its the 1st day back at work and of course the day after new years.....haha

They have had their development squad pretty much training since the end of the season I think which is a mix of 1st/2nds/colts....

Anymore news on them bringing in players from NZ?

COYW

Frank Row (1)
have westies made any recruitment as yet? i know their 15 last year Small was only over for a year. He will be a big miss to them. Royals? Are they relying on their colts to come up?

Empire

Syd Malcolm (24)
Yea mate I agree - the travel would kill the clubs and players - would be just to much.

Yea, as I said pie in the sky stuff - Just from experience over in the UK, it was great having teams promoted/relegated - changed the competition up, and provided incentive for clubs that wanted to pursue the next level.

Speaking of pathways etc, one of my concerns around the new 3rd tier comp is that it seems based upon financial ability, and doesn't look (thus far) to include promotion or relegation. Queanbeyan and Royals should be aiming to compete at this level in the short-medium term, with other clubs striving for it long term.
Pathways for all clubs/players are poorly defined across Australian Rugby.

We've lost a couple of players, whose decision may have been influenced by the fact that only Vikings will play at that level. They've moved to Sydney, as not many locally would consider playing for another local club, especially Vikings.

Any other clubs with this issue?

Colts should be interesting, with Easts and Goulburn to field sides in 2014. As No8 mentioned, the whole competition needs new blood. Current situation is getting repetitive and stale.

griffins

Alfred Walker (16)
Yea, as I said pie in the sky stuff - Just from experience over in the UK, it was great having teams promoted/relegated - changed the competition up, and provided incentive for clubs that wanted to pursue the next level.

Speaking of pathways etc, one of my concerns around the new 3rd tier comp is that it seems based upon financial ability, and doesn't look (thus far) to include promotion or relegation. Queanbeyan and Royals should be aiming to compete at this level in the short-medium term, with other clubs striving for it long term.
Pathways for all clubs/players are poorly defined across Australian Rugby.

We've lost a couple of players, whose decision may have been influenced by the fact that only Vikings will play at that level. They've moved to Sydney, as not many locally would consider playing for another local club, especially Vikings.

Any other clubs with this issue?

Colts should be interesting, with Easts and Goulburn to field sides in 2014. As No8 mentioned, the whole competition needs new blood. Current situation is getting repetitive and stale.

UK promotion/relegation system is also based on significant travel (which the SIRU teams don't seem keen on) and the concentration of all regional talent at individual clubs (which you don't seem too keen on).

Has anyone in the ACT heard anything definitively about what any ACT involvement in the comp will look like? Everything I've heard/read indicates an ACT rep team ala Canberra Vikings/Kookas. In that sense every Canberra player would have a chance at playing in the comp, if they merited a place in the side.

Easts swore last year that they would enter a colts side and nothing happened, is this really likely to happen? Otherwise, a Goulburn side would be a good bus trip for other colts teams to replace the Easts bye.

Empire

Syd Malcolm (24)
UK promotion/relegation system is also based on significant travel (which the SIRU teams don't seem keen on) and the concentration of all regional talent at individual clubs (which you don't seem too keen on).

Has anyone in the ACT heard anything definitively about what any ACT involvement in the comp will look like? Everything I've heard/read indicates an ACT rep team ala Canberra Vikings/Kookas. In that sense every Canberra player would have a chance at playing in the comp, if they merited a place in the side.

Easts swore last year that they would enter a colts side and nothing happened, is this really likely to happen? Otherwise, a Goulburn side would be a good bus trip for other colts teams to replace the Easts bye.

I'm fine with a rep side but please don't call it the Vikings. It's ACT Griffins or Kookaburras, not the bloody Vikings!

However, money talks, and that's why all mail is indicating it being a Vikings team.

Who from Easts in an official capacity ever 'swore' there would be a colts team?

Compared to last year, we have a coaching staff that is settled, have worked with the u18's champions at St Edmunds over the year and 1st XV players have put pen to paper. Even at (pre-preseason) training now there are new colts aged players from Grammar and Eddies coming along. Looks promising.

griffins

Alfred Walker (16)
I'm fine with a rep side but please don't call it the Vikings. It's ACT Griffins or Kookaburras, not the bloody Vikings!

However, money talks, and that's why all mail is indicating it being a Vikings team.

Who from Easts in an official capacity ever 'swore' there would be a colts team?

Compared to last year, we have a coaching staff that is settled, have worked with the u18's champions at St Edmunds over the year and 1st XV players have put pen to paper. Even at (pre-preseason) training now there are new colts aged players from Grammar and Eddies coming along. Looks promising.

All the word was your pres had committed to fielding a side and it never eventuated. That is positive news though, as Easts not fielding a team makes it a pretty ordinary comp, especially with other clubs (bar whites vikings and only recently royals) not being particularly competitive.

I won't hold my breath on the rep side, calling them the Vikings didnt seem to hurt them when they were competing in Sydney and Brisbane previously. I suppose it might discourage a few crusted on Royals fans from going to the games though.

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)

Would the ACT based teams be keen on travelling? Albury to Canberra is 3.5hrs, Griffith to Canberra is 4hrs, Wagga to Canberra is 2.5hrs. That's a bit different than the drive from Gungahlin to Tuggeranong. The above figures only include weekend game travel, let alone training time for 2-3 sessions per week, what would the travel commitment for a player in SIRU be - 10hrs per week?

What value would such a system provide for a club (or indeed the zone) in SIRU? A handy player in this area of the world would be better off moving to Canberra and playing over there.

The clubs in SIRU commit to the local competition and travel without a worry and there's enough travel in the SIRU local competition without having to travel to Canberra as well.

FTS

Billy Sheehan (19)

Empire who from Easts have gone to Sydney? Any news on any recruits to Easts in 2014?

No.8

Phil Hardcastle (33)
I am trying to think of which Easts players would of gone to Sydney and by Sydney I guess you mean Shute Shield?

I am not going to sit here and support Vikings but what is the issue that everyone has with them? besides them building to be one of the most successful clubs in Australia? - all other clubs could of done the same/been in the same boat...

Might stir the pot abit but do people think that some players would like to play for Vikings but are worried about not getting a 1st xv spot? So they go to a weaker club......

griffins

Alfred Walker (16)
I am not going to sit here and support Vikings but what is the issue that everyone has with them? besides them building to be one of the most successful clubs in Australia? - all other clubs could of done the same/been in the same boat.

Might stir the pot abit but do people think that some players would like to play for Vikings but are worried about not getting a 1st xv spot? So they go to a weaker club..

They can be a bit arrogant ...

S

secondfive

i think its great to see JID going from strength to strength. my first preference for a third tier would be to see it based in Sydney. if the nations capital do get a side together, my feeling is they could be fiercely competitive. any of the top 4 sides from this years comp have players who will hopefully thrive in a new national comp. im very interested to see what developments take place from here....

Status
Not open for further replies.