• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

John I Dent Cup - Canberra Competition -

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
I posted this in the Shute Shield thread also.

A few words from Manly on the Brumbies not allowing their players to play in Sydney.

http://manly-daily.whereilive.com.au/sport/story/no-begg-pardons-over-spray/

NEW Manly Rugby club president David Begg has launched a stinging attack on the Brumbies Super Rugby franchise over the decision to force their Marlins’ recruits to play in the “Micky Mouse” Canberra competition this season.
The controversial edict, which Begg describes as a “joke”, means that the Manly ranks will be stripped of half a dozen of their stars.
Instead of returning to their Sydney clubs when the Super Rugby commitments are completed, the players will be farmed out to Canberra outfits.
“We are extremely unhappy,” Begg told the Manly Daily.
“It is clearly detrimental to the Sydney club rugby competition, but more importantly it is detrimental to the development of these players.
“Every time a player plays a game I would have thought it was important that he play at the best level he can - in my view the standard in Perth is better.
“The standard of club rugby in Canberra is no better than Kentwell Cup.”
The ruling means Manly will lose Michael Hooper, Andrew Smith, Robbie Coleman, Anthony Hegarty, Dylan Sigg and Jono Owen.
“We know where they want to play and none of them want to play in Canberra,” Begg said.
The new president said backrower Hooper did all of his development as a Manly junior.
“For (coach) Jake White and the Brumbies now to tell him once your Super Rugby commitments are completed that he has to go and play in some Micky Mouse competition for some club that he has absolutely no affinity to at all is, quite frankly, a joke,” Begg said.
“The Brumbies have the gall to tell Sydney clubs what they can and can’t do when they can’t even secure a front-of-jersey sponsor.”
Begg said Manly will do all in their power to get the “inane” decision reviewed.
Manly will look to Sydney RU to argue their case with ARU, Begg said.
“If they don’t, we will do it ourselves.”

if Manly pay them what the Brumbies are paying them, then they can tell them where to play.

Empire

Syd Malcolm (24)
Agreed. This president won't really get far with his insightful comments.

Reading them was offensive.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Brumbies response:

“The primary concern of the Brumbies coaching staff is to make our club stronger. There is no benefit to our players traveling back and forth between Canberra and Sydney on a weekly basis. It makes monitoring our squad difficult and it will not be a process the Brumbies use in 2012.
“We believe the John I Dent Cup has the potential to be one of the strongest local club competitions in Australia and with 35 contracted Super Rugby players taking part in 2012 we are one step closer to making that happen. A strong local competition will inevitably attract top-class players to the Brumbies.
“Keeping Brumbies players in Canberra, playing Canberra rugby is good for the ACT community. The Brumbies want fans to be able to get to a local game on a Saturday and see the best talent the ACT has to offer on a weekly basis.

My response to Begg wouldn't have been so polite...
What a twerp...

Brumbies Guy

John Solomon (38)
Where will the brumbies get their players when Sydney club rugby is reduced to even more of a marginal proposition

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We'll be right, we lose all our top players to Sydney each year, if the Brumbies strengthen the Canberra comp and look into it more seriously for development options then retention will be a lot greater. Just from the Manly article, Robbie Coleman and Anthony Hegarty were pinched by Manly originally from the Canberra comp.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Where will the brumbies get their players when Sydney club rugby is reduced to even more of a marginal proposition

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Are you serious?

If the Shute Shield can't cope with the exodus of Brumby players then there's something seriously wrong within the NSWRU...

Knuckles

Ted Thorn (20)
Jake White has allocated 5 Brumbies squad players amongst the 7 JID teams to stop the exodus of players leaving to play in the Shute Shield in Sydney.
Those players who already had an affiliation to local clubs will go back to those teams (e.g. Nic White and Robbie Coleman to Queanbeyan, Ben Alexander to Uni-Norths)

Here is the list in full: (Thanks to Canberra Times)

Uni-Norths
Forwards: Ben Alexander, Dylan Sigg
Backs: Tom Cox, Ian Prior, Joe Tomane

Wests
Forwards: Fotu Auelua, Peter Kimlin, Scott Sio,
Backs: Pat McCabe, Jesse Mogg

Royals
Forwards: Sam Carter, Stephen Hoiles, Siliva Siliva
Backs: Kimami Sitauti, Matt To'omua

Queanbeyan
Forwards: Jono Owen, Leon Power
Backs: Robbie Coleman, Tevita Kuridrani, Nic White

Easts
Forwards: Ben Hand, Michael Hooper, Stephen Moore, Jerry Yanuyanutawa
Backs: Andrew Smith

Vikings
Forwards : Colby Fainga'a, Ben Mowen, Scott Fardy
Backs: Zack Holmes. Christian Lealiifano

Gungahlin
Forwards: Dan Palmer, Ita Vaea, Rory Murphy
Backs: Cam Crawford, Henry Speight

Obviously the Wallabies in the squad won't get to play very often, but White said that those clubs are free to use them in a capacity outside of Brumbies commitments. Things like junior sign up day, helping out at Tuesday/Thursday night trainings, jersey presentations.

I believe the Brumbies have cut Hoiles (correct me if I'm wrong) so who's going to be his replacement at Royals?

Knuckles

Ted Thorn (20)
From the Manly Daily

NEW Manly Rugby club president David Begg has launched a stinging attack on the Brumbies Super Rugby franchise over the decision to force their Marlins’ recruits to play in the “Micky Mouse” Canberra competition this season.
The controversial edict, which Begg describes as a “joke”, means that the Manly ranks will be stripped of half a dozen of their stars.
Instead of returning to their Sydney clubs when the Super Rugby commitments are completed, the players will be farmed out to Canberra outfits.
“We are extremely unhappy,” Begg told the Manly Daily.
“It is clearly detrimental to the Sydney club rugby competition, but more importantly it is detrimental to the development of these players.
“Every time a player plays a game I would have thought it was important that he play at the best level he can - in my view the standard in Perth is better.
“The standard of club rugby in Canberra is no better than Kentwell Cup.”
The ruling means Manly will lose Michael Hooper, Andrew Smith, Robbie Coleman, Anthony Hegarty, Dylan Sigg and Jono Owen.
“We know where they want to play and none of them want to play in Canberra,” Begg said.
The new president said backrower Hooper did all of his development as a Manly junior.
“For (coach) Jake White and the Brumbies now to tell him once your Super Rugby commitments are completed that he has to go and play in some Micky Mouse competition for some club that he has absolutely no affinity to at all is, quite frankly, a joke,” Begg said.
“The Brumbies have the gall to tell Sydney clubs what they can and can’t do when they can’t even secure a front-of-jersey sponsor.”
Begg said Manly will do all in their power to get the “inane” decision reviewed.
Manly will look to Sydney RU to argue their case with ARU, Begg said.
“If they don’t, we will do it ourselves.”

http://manly-daily.whereilive.com.au/sport/story/no-begg-pardons-over-spray/

As a Manly supporter, I am sympathethic to the President's concerns. However, how many games were they seriously expecting the named players to play for the club? With the expanded Super Rugby season it is my understanding that the players wont be back til end of July anyway. Then add on that ridiculous RUPA rule of 'active rest' which is a mandatory period of 4 weeks were they cant play you are looking at early August at best. Then its realistic to consider that some players play during the Super season with injury and some of the injuries may require surgery at the end of the season then rehab as well. Potentially, without Jake White's edict, the players could not play at all. I also have issues with some of the wording of Mr Begg's complaint and fear it makes Manly look like a big sook. Get over it I say, if we didnt recruit Super Rugby players, it wouldn't be an issue. Hooper and Owen are local juniors albeit Owen was recruited from Uni a couple of years ago

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
What's funny is that only two of those players have any history with Manly, and two of them were poached out of Queanbeyan...

Slash

Bill Watson (15)
What's funny is that only two of those players have any history with Manly, and two of them were poached out of Queanbeyan...

Spot on there. Watch for Manly to be the perennial whingers this season due to the new President being in....

T

Tahboy

I know of 1 other club he contacted about playing in Sydney before he joined Eastwood. Nic had a great year with Eastwood and the question is would he have jumped up the pecking order if he stayed in Queanbyan or did playing very well in a higher level of rugby in Sydney make the difference for him. Nic wanted to play in Sydney so how is that poaching?? Did Eastwood twist his arm to play in Sydney?? I am sure if Nic felt plaing Canberra was the best option for him I am sure he would have stayed in Canberra.
when the Wallaby team for the European tour is named and the fringe Wallabies in the Brumbies miss out will they will be really happy about having been forced to stay when maybe they didn't want to..

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
You'd be ignorant to believe that selectors are not going to keep an eye on the John I Dent Cup, particularly now that it's just received a top up of professional players including Australian Sevens and U20 representatives...

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
And obviously a player of Nic White's calibre is going to want to move across to the Sydney competition when the other top Canberra players are being poached or moving across to the Shute Shield.

Thankfully now that the JID will be once again full of professional players the competition level will rise again.

Anyways, how much club rugby will Nic White play when he's going to be starting halfback for the Brumbies and a contender for the Wallaby squad?

T

Tahboy

Slim you keep going on about poaching players, you will find that player managers are shopping there players around to Sydney clubs. If you think Robbie Deans is going to go to Canberra instead of going to Sydney or Brisbane to watch games you are living in a dream. He said a couple of years ago he will not look at players who are not playing in Sydney or Brisbane
Players in the future will decide if the decision to force players to play in Canberra against there wishes is a good decision by not going to play for the Brumbies if they have other options.
I know for a fact the club I am with has started discussing pushing there very good young players to other S15 franchises and not keeping the Brumbies in the loop regarding these players.Hope the Brumbies enjoy some poor seasons coming up but there local comp will be a bit better.

Brumbies Guy

John Solomon (38)
I know for a fact the club I am with has started discussing pushing there very good young players to other S15 franchises and not keeping the Brumbies in the loop regarding these players. Hope the Brumbies enjoy some poor seasons coming up but there local comp will be a bit better.

What is the whole club U10s? Grow up, you do realise there really is rugby outside of Sydney? If QLD, VIC or WA implemented the same program as Jake White has done I'd support that too. Stronger local comps is a positive which ever way you look at it; player development, community engagement, participation, crowds, sponsorships, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.