• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

John I Dent Cup - Canberra Competition -

Status
Not open for further replies.

BrumbiesPolynesian

Fred Wood (13)
I stand corrected on my last post about a number of Sydney boys playing for Royals, I thought a few faces looked familiar but obviously they are Canberra boys, mail on the prop is that he is still with Penrith but works and resides in Canberra now, so could be joining Royals....would be handy pick up for them....Flyhalf is being chased by Vikings but both look keen to join one of the current coaches (I think Mike Legge) at Royals, looks like he has bought in some handy talent this season to Royals...See how it goes though, I still think my Whites are the team to beat...But I am biased of course

BrumbiesPolynesian

Fred Wood (13)
for us we havent lost many, other than Tyler Stephens. We should have Robbie Coleman still with us through the club season as well as Viliame Iongi who is looking very sharp due to his training with the Brumbies. Also Lewis Holland to join his brother Jake who should push hard for 1st Grade. I hear we have a few imports from the UK and also NZ but I will have to confirm this.

Also, Empire, I hear your President Owen Brown has hit some tough times regarding his Health, please pass on our Best Wishes from the Whites family to him and wish him a speedy recovery.

Empire

Syd Malcolm (24)
Yes, to say say the least, it's going to be a very tough few months for Owen. Very serious. He is being typically upbeat and resilient - let's hope everything works out for the best. I'll pass on the regards - thanks mate.

Viliame must have been the find of the season lastt year! Hope he improves again - we need that kind of calibre in the comp.

H

HappyHC

Yes, all the best for Owen and his family for the coming months ahead - he is a good man and works hard for his rugby club and rugby in general in Canberra.

H

HappyHC

Sounding strong once again. Tyler Stevens has not produced his best form since leaving school, he certainly looked the goods back in the school days and hopefully he can produce his best form in the Shute Shield. He is a player that could go either way in Sydney, a risk for sure for him and Parra but one that may come off.

P

Parra GM

Sounding strong once again. Tyler Stevens has not produced his best form since leaving school, he certainly looked the goods back in the school days and hopefully he can produce his best form in the Shute Shield. He is a player that could go either way in Sydney, a risk for sure for him and Parra but one that may come off.

We're certainly backing the boy to get back to form similar to that of his schoolboys days. Maybe he hasnt been at his best coz they played him on the wing instead of @ fullback

FTS

Billy Sheehan (19)
Stevens was the best schoolboy fullback in the world in 2008, a freak talent. The potential is still there.

FTS

Billy Sheehan (19)
Just thought i would add my guess to the final standings in 2011:
1. Vikings
2. Royals
3. Queanbeyan
4. Easts
5. Gunghalin
6. Wests
7. Uni Norths

Just my thoughts, i think people are underestimating vikings recruiting. Chances are i could be very wrong with this ladder, guess we have to wait until the season starts.

H

HappyHC

Hard to see Gungahlin missing out on the semi's. Here is my finishing order after regular season play
1. Royals
2. Queanbeyan
3. Vikings
4. Gungahlin
5. Easts
6. Wests
7. Uni Norths

I will go with a Queanbeyan v Royals GF

mopo10

Frank Row (1)
Royals for at least the semis, we've been there 3 of the last 4 yrs and fingers crossed wont miss out this year LOL Will agree with everyone on the bottom two being Wests & Uni Norths though...definitely a 5 club rush at the end of August for the top 4 spots.....

R

random477

Does everyone write off wests? Last year they didnt seem to have any amazing players yet still were really competitive

BrumbiesPolynesian

Fred Wood (13)
Im writing off Wests purely because of lack of firepower...they have one big sigining which is Pama Fou who however is not wanting to play for Wests, instead link up with either his old Souths Bris coach at Tuggies or join the Whites or Royals. Other teams such as Easts, Vikings have good signings and two top teams this season in my mind have retained or had players return, and I am talking about the Whites and Royals...my four would be:
Whites, Royals, Vikings and either Gungahlin or Easts.

Empire

Syd Malcolm (24)
I won't bother with a prediction yet - I just feel it's too early on.

I do believe that the competition will be a lot closer across the board, with most clubs seemingly picking up some great names.

Regarding Easts, I feel our forwards will be a lot more competitive than in previous years, Joe Shirley and Ulysses F. are handy additions, and our front row depth has doubled. Add in Tapara, and things are looking alright. Quite a few of the overseas contingent arrive/return over the next few weeks, should be interesting.

BrumbiesPolynesian

Fred Wood (13)
Rumors are the Royals Centre who is over is being watched closely by both Andy Friend and also Richard Graham of the Force. Ex NZ U20, NZ Schools Auckland and Northland NPC player who has played NPC since finishing School. I understand we were chasing him also. Apparently he came and trialled for the Brumbies Academy in Sept, dominated the trials, skills testing etc, but Coleman thought he was not worth being picked...however most coaches who were at the trials (all Canberra Club coaches) were impressed enough to entice him, but he chose Royals due to his connection with one of the coaches.
Inside word, Coleman on the way out.

BrumbiesPolynesian

Fred Wood (13)
I won't bother with a prediction yet - I just feel it's too early on.

I do believe that the competition will be a lot closer across the board, with most clubs seemingly picking up some great names.

Regarding Easts, I feel our forwards will be a lot more competitive than in previous years, Joe Shirley and Ulysses F. are handy additions, and our front row depth has doubled. Add in Tapara, and things are looking alright. Quite a few of the overseas contingent arrive/return over the next few weeks, should be interesting.

Big Ulz is a massive boost, has all the talent in the world that bloke, and with his head in the right space could dominate this competition. I am looking forward to watching Easts closely this season. Adam Friend is doing a great job.

Empire

Syd Malcolm (24)
Coleman on the way out? I think quite a few will breathe a sigh of relief!

Yes Ulysses was a machine at St Edmunds, lots of potential! It'd be nice if he could pull some of his mates like Tau Taholo and co back into the fold. Tau has been training with us, but not sure if he will stick around. Irrespective, our depth and attitude is improving.

Friendy is doing a great job - along with Karim Sedour and the board (especially Owen Brown). It's been a bit of a rollercoaster, but the club is working towards a much more sustainable and solid grounding. A strong Easts is good for the ACTRU.

H

HappyHC

Does anyone know the runners program over the next 4 weeks? Also is there a comp draw out yet?

Any fact to the rumor Robbie Coleman has signed with Manly for the Shute Shield?

Status
Not open for further replies.