• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

John I Dent Cup - Canberra Competition -

Status
Not open for further replies.
L

Lilmonkeys1114

HappyHC - Could I please just clear up with you and all the others that have read your quote - Knight has Certainly NOT been handed a life ban from Vikings licensed club venues after multiple indiscretions as you put it, This is definately NOT the case. Please have solid fact before quoting in future. Cheers!

BrumbiesPolynesian

Fred Wood (13)
HappyHC - Could I please just clear up with you and all the others that have read your quote - Knight has Certainly NOT been handed a life ban from Vikings licensed club venues after multiple indiscretions as you put it, This is definately NOT the case. Please have solid fact before quoting in future. Cheers!

In Defense of HappyHC, I have heard the same about Jake Knight from a few of the Vikings players but you are right, maybe before posting we should all have the facts before posting it up on here. Has Knight gone to Easts or is that rumors also?

Empire

Syd Malcolm (24)
No that hasn't come through. Coach wasn't happy - we were looking hard for wingers! Apologies.
Ended up with a young kiwi - Jerome Harimate. Looks the goods too - nice bloke off the paddock, good training ethic, strong and fast.

BrumbiesPolynesian

Fred Wood (13)
Sounds like Easts have picked up some talent this season.
Anyone the rest of the comp should be looking out for?
you have any trials coming up?

R

random477

Jake stayed at Vikings, both him and Hitchens were playing 1st grade against Syd Uni on the weekend

Empire

Syd Malcolm (24)
No 'superstars' (high profile signings - like say, Goog Harrison last year) as such, but a lot of depth across forwards and getting there with backs.

I think Rob Lavery will add a fair bit - very sharp.
Joe Shirley - very good proper sized lock, who with his brother will add quite a bit.
Chris Cocca - very strong tight head. Come across from South Australia looking for higher standard of rugby.
Ulz - the big unknown. It'd be great to see how he goes. Could be a huge pick up for us.

Trials are this weekend in wagga, then royals, uni norths, and a victorian side at Canberra stadium over following weeks. Could change, getting trials hasn't been the easiest apparently.

R

random477

Has anyone heard much about the Colts ACT team. They're suppose to have a game on this weekend?

H

HappyHC

My post stated it was a rumor - I am glad he doesn't have a life ban as he is a good bloke. This forum is full of rumor with many not stating rumors as such. Feel free to private message me and we can discuss facts etc. In the mean time apologies for any confusion.

G

goroyals

I heard that the vikings are going to be using Viking Park as their home ground this year.

C

Canon76

No 'superstars' (high profile signings - like say, Goog Harrison last year) as such, but a lot of depth across forwards and getting there with backs.

I think Rob Lavery will add a fair bit - very sharp.
Joe Shirley - very good proper sized lock, who with his brother will add quite a bit.
Chris Cocca - very strong tight head. Come across from South Australia looking for higher standard of rugby.
Ulz - the big unknown. It'd be great to see how he goes. Could be a huge pick up for us.

Trials are this weekend in wagga, then royals, uni norths, and a victorian side at Canberra stadium over following weeks. Could change, getting trials hasn't been the easiest apparently.

What has the issue been with getting trials?

Empire

Syd Malcolm (24)
All sorted with trials - had a good road trip to Wagga yesterday.

Royals next week - that will be a better barometer...

It'd just been difficult - many reasons, but all good now.

Empire

Syd Malcolm (24)
We played both Charles Sturt Uni, and Parkes - 25 minute halves, with Easts playing a 1sts and a 2nds team.

I believe we won the matches 4-5 tries to nil, and 5-6 tries to nil (I don't know exact score, but I know we scored quite a few, and didn't concede any points all day).

Very rusty in parts, but also very strong in contact, scrums and defence.

Big stand out for me was Altyn Cassidy in 2nds. He has joined us from Manly - was 1sts Colts up there, but following shoulder reconstruction in 2008 (destroyed his shoulder at Australian U20's trials), hasn't played much Rugby. All healed now, and he looks very strong, great technique at tighthead, aggressive and mobile.

Generally though, for a first hit out, the teams looked good - obviously plenty of areas to improve. Should be noted that these teams whilst having some very big country boys didn't look like premier grade players.

Next week will be a much sterner test - Royals have had more trials than us, so fitness might be an issue. Will be interesting to see how they go. 2nds in particular - there has been a huge effort to strengthen this team. 1sts should be a good contest.

I won't personally see the games next week, I have GAMSAT. Bugger.

G

goroyals

I can confirm that the John I Dent competition begins on April 2nd with a couple of blockbuster local derby's.

BrumbiesPolynesian

Fred Wood (13)
We played both Charles Sturt Uni, and Parkes - 25 minute halves, with Easts playing a 1sts and a 2nds team.

I believe we won the matches 4-5 tries to nil, and 5-6 tries to nil (I don't know exact score, but I know we scored quite a few, and didn't concede any points all day).

Very rusty in parts, but also very strong in contact, scrums and defence.

Big stand out for me was Altyn Cassidy in 2nds. He has joined us from Manly - was 1sts Colts up there, but following shoulder reconstruction in 2008 (destroyed his shoulder at Australian U20's trials), hasn't played much Rugby. All healed now, and he looks very strong, great technique at tighthead, aggressive and mobile.

Generally though, for a first hit out, the teams looked good - obviously plenty of areas to improve. Should be noted that these teams whilst having some very big country boys didn't look like premier grade players.

Next week will be a much sterner test - Royals have had more trials than us, so fitness might be an issue. Will be interesting to see how they go. 2nds in particular - there has been a huge effort to strengthen this team. 1sts should be a good contest.

I won't personally see the games next week, I have GAMSAT. Bugger.

How is Easts shaping up against Royals this weekend?

Any other trial news from any of the other sides?

Empire

Syd Malcolm (24)
It's a bit hard to say - but I think we will give it a good shot.

Uelz has broken his hand - going to be out for 4-5 weeks I believe, which is a blow, but we will be ok.
Tau Taholo may come in for him - depends on family commitments.

I expect Robbie Lavery and Timi Tapara will also get a run, which will be good.

Colts might be hard - hardly got the numbers. If it goes ahead, we may have a couple of ACT reps playing in that side.

BrumbiesPolynesian

Fred Wood (13)
It's a bit hard to say - but I think we will give it a good shot.

Uelz has broken his hand - going to be out for 4-5 weeks I believe, which is a blow, but we will be ok.
Tau Taholo may come in for him - depends on family commitments.

I expect Robbie Lavery and Timi Tapara will also get a run, which will be good.

Colts might be hard - hardly got the numbers. If it goes ahead, we may have a couple of ACT reps playing in that side.

Thats no good about Big Uelz but it is good to see Tau Taholo back playing Union after playing League, should form a good backrow along with Tim Tapara.

Empire

Syd Malcolm (24)
Yea, quite a few of the boys are glad to see them back - all were good mates/team mates at Eddies.

You never know, the Ahosivi brothers might come out of the woodwork and have a run if all these guys are enjoying themselves, purely speculation however, but mates usually pull other mates along.

Another player who looked very good on the weekend was Sam Shirley - plenty of aggression and strong running. He'll be either 4 or 6 this weekend.

Have the Whites played any trials lately?

Status
Not open for further replies.