• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Julia's Reign

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
The speech was necessary to put the pressure and spotlight on Abbott because the government was already being showed up for its hypocrisy.

They have trotted our senior female mps to goad and pressure Abbott on his perceived sexist views and then about face to support the speaker who, I understand said things that are a lot worse than Abbott ever has just to try and protect their own arses (yet again).

Gillard is trying to hide her own hypocrisy with this attack.

Abbott much not be well liked by many (including me) but I struggle to have any trust in Gillard. Trusting someone is more important than liking them when they are in this position.

You trust Abbott?

bryce

Darby Loudon (17)
It is hard to argue with anything she said. The whole time Abbott just sat there like a little kid in the principal's office knowing that he'd done the wrong thing.
The thing that many are missing is the fact that beforehand he said that her government was going to 'die of shame'. He must be either incredibly stupid or incredibly callous to use that phrase after the past week's events. I'd probably go with callous. And maybe this was the point at which the PM decided she'd had enough of all the abuse she's copped.

Bruwheresmycar

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
There was not much point to the speeches (or the motion itself). The government repeated that they will await the legal process before making a decision months ago, and Liberal want to try and force the government to lose a vote regardless of how the legal process turns out.

So both the opposition leader and deputy leaders' speech was just a shit-stir. And the PM replied with a mighty good shit-stir reply. And while I don't like seeing the parliamentary debate turn into that sort of irrelevant discussion, from the PM's point of view, it is about time she goes down to their level because her unwillingness to engage with the childish name calling has been part of their downfall over the last 2 years. (because the newspapers have been reporting these insults non stop, over actual news of course)

edit: and she should have had a go at Christopher Pyne's behavior on Q&A. He lectured us on why the Liberal Party isn't sexist at the beginning of the show, and amazingly... throughout the show he treated the Labor MP (Moana Pasifika) Kate Ellis like shit. There is no other word to describe it.

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
This whole coming election makes me want to vomit in my own mouth. Neither leader is fit to run this country. Gillard has proven beyond a shadow of a doubt that she has no integrity in regards to keeping promises made to the electorate and Abbott is yet to show any decent policies or vision. His whole shtick is to attack the opposition government ;) which Labor has skillfully negated by painting him as a bigot. His road to redemption has to be a broad, achievable political vision for Australia. I don't think he will. I think he will keep up his negative tactics and hang on by his fingernails to win without a clear mandate.

I expect this to be the dirtiest election in Australian political history.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
As I can only stomach one political system at a time and it's the UK one that's currently taxing me till I bleed, I haven't really been following Aus politics all too closely.

However,

What about these apples?

Is this the potential game-changer it looks like?
Only if it is used to convince people of the need for better education.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
This whole coming election makes me want to vomit in my own mouth. Neither leader is fit to run this country. Gillard has proven beyond a shadow of a doubt that she has no integrity in regards to keeping promises made to the electorate and Abbott is yet to show any decent policies or vision. His whole shtick is to attack the opposition which Labor has skillfully negated by painting him as a bigot. His road to redemption has to be a broad, achievable political vision for Australia. I don't think he will. I think he will keep up his negative tactics and hang on by his fingernails to win without a clear mandate.

I expect this to be the dirtiest election in Australian political history.
Fully agree - 'cept i think you meant government in talking about his schtick.
I have a hunch that Abbott's running out of gas. Something will have to happen soon or it will be too late to change jockeys.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
I don't think he will let go in a way that gives Turnbull a chance.
He won't quit unless the polls are definite there is no way he can win, then it's too late for Turnbull this time around.
All for the good of the party of course...

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
I don't think he will let go in a way that gives Turnbull a chance.
He won't quit unless the polls are definite there is no way he can win, then it's too late for Turnbull this time around.
All for the good of the party of course.

I dont think he'll go willingly under any circumstances but i think he is sufficiently "out there" for any deterioration in his polling to give rise to questions being asked behind him and M Turnbull is showing a new willingness to answer those questions - and any others anyone may have at every opportunity: he's not swimming outside the flags yet but he's getting close.
The worst result for Turnbull's considerable ambitions will be maintenance of the present position because that would effectively deny him the prize that he has considered rightfully his since about 1976.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
The fact they supported Slipper only for him to fall on his own sword later will surely only result in this being another example of bad judgement. I think Abbott got her to do exactly what he wanted, it's masterful baiting.

No, wj, it wasn't bad judgement. There were a number of people, Windsor and Oakeshott included, who felt uncomfortable about the Parliament setting a precedent sacking a speaker, especially during legal action over his behaviour. It's highly unlikely this legal action will find against Slipper, it's much more likely it'll be discontinued after a private settlement. He's a sneaky bugger who'll get away with what he can (I certainly wouldn't leave him in charge of my wine cellar) but for Parliament to sack a speaker is a very dangerous precedent.

It should be noted here these two independents voted with the government on this motion while at the same time they were in negotiations with Slipper convincing him to resign. If anything, they've come out of this rather well.

Bruwheresmycar

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
In the beginning of this government a lot of people where whinging about how disgraceful it is that the independents in the house held so much power. But 2 years later, and I'd go as far to say that Oakeshott and Windsor are among a select few MPs who seem to put Australia's democracy above personal power.

I would like to see a similar number of independents elected next time, and hopefully at least Oakeshott gets another term. I don't trust either of these major parties to have a free reign at all. I can't see why they wouldn't infringe on basic individual rights to please short term opinion polls with knee jerk reactions. ie: After the "muslim riots" politicians seemed to be seriously considering censorship as an appropriate response to the media's concerns.

You could argue that you end up with nutters like Bob Katter with the same responsibility, and that is true. But I'd still take the risk.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
I would like to see a similar number of independents elected next time, and hopefully at least Oakeshott gets another term. I don't trust either of these major parties to have a free reign at all. I can't see why they wouldn't infringe on basic individual rights to please short term opinion polls with knee jerk reactions. ie: After the "muslim riots" politicians seemed to be seriously considering censorship as an appropriate response to the media's concerns.

You could argue that you end up with nutters like Bob Katter with the same responsibility, and that is true. But I'd still take the risk.

have you forgotten Oakeshott's 19 minute "explanation" - his constituents havent

http://theland.farmonline.com.au/ne...oakeshott-also-under-threat-poll/2598140.aspx

ACT Crusader

Jim Lenehan (48)
Oakshott has gone very very quiet on hi "new paradigm" rhetoric circa 2010. If he actually believed it he should have been out there selling it in a time when I've never seen, heard or known the level of debate to be so very low.

I listen to the stuff every day its on and its all stunts and games. From poorly scripted Dorothy Dixers and responses to frivolous motions to suspend standing orders - the whole 1 to 2 hour segment is a big stunt. The sense of genuine theatre that Fraser, Hawk, Keating and very early Howard days had makes this stuff of the past 2-3 years appear to be some B grade horror TV movie where its predictable and you know all the corny scenes.

And yesterday was no different with its predictability and gutter talk. Blind Freddie or Freda could have told you that all this was going to do was turn into a he said she said game where no one will come out a winner with the loser will be the voting populace of Australia.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Oakshott has gone very very quiet on hi "new paradigm" rhetoric circa 2010. If he actually believed it he should have been out there selling it in a time when I've never seen, heard or known the level of debate to be so very low.

I listen to the stuff every day its on and its all stunts and games. From poorly scripted Dorothy Dixers and responses to frivolous motions to suspend standing orders - the whole 1 to 2 hour segment is a big stunt. The sense of genuine theatre that Fraser, Hawk, Keating and very early Howard days had makes this stuff of the past 2-3 years appear to be some B grade horror TV movie where its predictable and you know all the corny scenes.

And yesterday was no different with its predictability and gutter talk. Blind Freddie or Freda could have told you that all this was going to do was turn into a he said she said game where no one will come out a winner with the loser will be the voting populace of Australia.

It is awful: ring the bells, lock the doors and backfill the joint. With a little remediation future generations need never know that there was a building there with people in it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
It should be noted here these two independents voted with the government on this motion while at the same time they were in negotiations with Slipper convincing him to resign. If anything, they've come out of this rather well.

We know that now (not at the time I originally posted) I think they did well to. I'm still not sure gillards outburst was good though. Abbott has been on the attack about her using the sexist card, I think he goaded her into her response so he could then play the "why about me but not him" card. The independents have come out smelling good, not sure labor has. Her outburst will be a YouTube favorite, abbots example of hypocrisy will be repeated over and over til the next election making gillards point irrelevant.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
No, wj, it wasn't bad judgement. There were a number of people, Windsor and Oakeshott included, who felt uncomfortable about the Parliament setting a precedent sacking a speaker, especially during legal action over his behaviour. It's highly unlikely this legal action will find against Slipper, it's much more likely it'll be discontinued after a private settlement. He's a sneaky bugger who'll get away with what he can (I certainly wouldn't leave him in charge of my wine cellar) but for Parliament to sack a speaker is a very dangerous precedent.

You are kidding, aren't you.

First interview after and Windsor said he wasn't comfortable having the parliament sack a speaker. Then he came out and said he threatened to vote to sack him if he didn't agree to resign! That is even worse in my book!

Katter is the only one that came out well by declining to vote.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
So you think that forcing him to resign behind closed doors is better than democratically voting him out in the open?

Status
Not open for further replies.