• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Julia's Reign

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lior

Herbert Moran (7)
I don't know one person who isn't disillusioned with politics right now in this country. Both leaders are incrediby short sighted, and neither is addressing the policy changes this country is crying out for; productivity, tax reform (extending the GST), Industrial Relations reform. That being said, I will probably vote Labor as an Abbott lead government is simply unsustainable.

Both lack any bit of integrity. Gillard with her litany of broken promises. Abbott with his ability to lie through his teeth about impacts of taxes or simply his ability to change his mind depending on which broadcaster he is talking to.

Abbott's rhetoric is also unsustainable to govern. He has an 11 billion dollar budget black hole (which in my view should have seen both him, Robb and Hockey given the axe) which he hid and knew about before the election, if he didn't know about it then he's deadly incompetent.He has to find 70 billion dollars to fund his promises which are mostly political. I mean repealing a carbon tax and replacing it with his policy is lunacy, short sighted, and plain ignorant (fixing it isn't).

I like many consider myself quite independent with how I vote, the sad thing is Malcolm Turnbull is just as Independent as myself. Doesn't quite fit into either party. And we are stuck with the reality that we aren't going to get him as the Liberals wouldn't touch him again.

Thought the Gillard speech was telling but not influential on anyone's voting intentions. I think she went a bit over the top unfortunately. Abbott's reaction in the 15 minutes was telling and was quite an indictment. Was a wonderful piece of political rhetoric, that will no doubt go into the record books with some of Keating's rhetoric in parliament.

To conclude, I just wish the pair of them would fuck off and we could have a system of government that focuses on policy priorities not short term nonsense that simply sees them wanting to get into power to upload their ignorant views onto the rest of us.

Moses

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staff member
Because the number of units is nearly double the previous - or is there some other point? (couldnt see where the pic was referred to in a story.)

If I'm getting the drift its worse than a shocker - its got 2 problems: its misleading and either he's stupid or he thinks we are.
Because he blamed the increase on a rate rise, when the increase is clearly due to a rise in usage.

Difficult to blame the carbon tax for people using more electricity.

ACT Crusader

Jim Lenehan (48)

More poorly thought out stunts. The ticky tacking in Question Time yesterday was poor. THe PM gets up and asks Abbott to withdraw "you're a piece of work", Pyne gets up and says someone in the Govt used 'bloke' and that if he used 'shiela' it would be on for young and old.

Just on stunts I must say the best I've seen was the "Cardboard Kev" that the opposition used in the first Friday sitting back in 2008. PM Rudd was not there and the opposition was saying there should be question time if the Parl. sits. It was quite funny.

Friday sittings (PM Rudd introduced them as "backbenchers day") didn't last after the first one.....

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
I will probably vote Labor as an Abbott lead government is simply unsustainable.

I wouldn't give up on Turnbull: little things like the mindless powerbill in #1464 above if they go on long enough will paint Abott as the buffoon I think he probably is.

I voted for the sex party last time and Malcolm in the reps - try them!

This following might explain the sudden surge in the Government's attack on Abbott:

Two rumours have been aired in the past week that one can only hope are true – that the mid year economic and fiscal outlook (MYEFO) will be released earlier than usual, and that a snap election will be held in March of next year.

Both these decisions are made by the government, and the ring of truth to the rumours stems from the fact that without these decisions being taken, Labor is likely finished.
http://www.businessspectator.com.au...n-MYEFO-pd20121011-YXSSU?OpenDocument&src=sph

ACT Crusader

Jim Lenehan (48)
The early election (ie pre May) will be a definite sign that their promised Budget surplus is dead in the water. The Treasurer will not be able to front the Parliament without it and try and defend what for all intents and purpsoes was the indefensible with the slow down in China and India and the tax revenue drying up.

If you look at alot of the legislation getting introduced it is all about financial committments well into the future. That way when they get done and the oppn starts repealling this stuff back to save a buck, Labor can point to a "wrecking ball" on services, welfare, disability, education etc.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
The early election (ie pre May) will be a definite sign that their promised Budget surplus is dead in the water. The Treasurer will not be able to front the Parliament without it and try and defend what for all intents and purpsoes was the indefensible with the slow down in China and India and the tax revenue drying up.

If you look at alot of the legislation getting introduced it is all about financial committments well into the future. That way when they get done and the oppn starts repealling this stuff back to save a buck, Labor can point to a "wrecking ball" on services, welfare, disability, education etc.
round and round the mulberry bush

Scotty

David Codey (61)

If anyone truly believed the government was ever going to achieve the predicted surplus, then are stupider than a blind Abbott supporter. I actually suspect that the government themselves came up with the ridiculous predictions knowing full well they wouldn't achieve them, but again playing politics instead of doing what is right for the country.

I want Turnbull over Abbott, but I certainly don't want a government that has proven not only a failure but that they will always put politics and their own skins above what is right for this country. I suspect that it is only Abbott that is keeping this race close, and that if a more credible and positive leader was in place most of the debaters on this thread would have already confirmed and switched their allegiances to the Coalition.

Rob42

John Solomon (38)
Turnbull always appears head and shoulders above Abbott in terms of his intellect and his preparedness to make cogent arguments for his positions, and no doubt if he became leader again the coalition would get a bounce in the polls. But then...he wasn't all that impressive as leader last time, and he wasn't a political newbie at that time either. The Godwin Gretch thing was a debacle. What's to say he'd be any better this time?

Abbott may be a bastard but he's kept the opposition very disciplined and focused.

Lior

Herbert Moran (7)
If anyone truly believed the government was ever going to achieve the predicted surplus, then are stupider than a blind Abbott supporter. I actually suspect that the government themselves came up with the ridiculous predictions knowing full well they wouldn't achieve them, but again playing politics instead of doing what is right for the country.

I want Turnbull over Abbott, but I certainly don't want a government that has proven not only a failure but that they will always put politics and their own skins above what is right for this country. I suspect that it is only Abbott that is keeping this race close, and that if a more credible and positive leader was in place most of the debaters on this thread would have already confirmed and switched their allegiances to the Coalition.

I agree mostly on this. However the opposition once again has been if not worse.The out of control Nationals seem to have a monopoly on economic decision making. Wheat deregulation, Cubbie Station sell off, foreign workers. These are all things Abbott/Nationals have made as if they are a bad thing. Labor would have been best off to do none of those things and they copped a lot of flack (rightly so for Gillard's nonsense with regards to Cubbie Station) but more so with their heartland, who don't trust big business. Yet these were the right things.

The surplus is nonsense and its a classical case of politics before decision making. They should have delayed it for a year when the 2011 QLD floods occurred, but they chose politics which was such a mistake. I disagree with how deep they took us into debt, but to continue to contract spending and tax rich people when the interest payments are minimal shows how short sighted they are.

I know how the argument goes. Labor's awful and lacking any bit of a moral compass, so let's give the Opposition a go. I would agree in any case if the Opposition was lead by someone who is not as opportunistic, idiotic and plain short sighted as Tony Abbott. He, Barnaby Joyce and Joe Hockey along with that racist Immigration spokesman can take a bike and then I will consider voting for them. While I'm on this topic, why are old jokes like Kevin Andrews, Bronwyn Bishop, Eric Abetz still on the front-bench? So much better talent available. The Liberal Party have far more talent and real world experience than the Labor cabinet (which is full of Unionists and Political Staffers), yet he insists on giving these drop kicks front bench positions where they should be as far away from Federal Parliament as possible.

If the Liberal Party changed its leader they would streak ahead in the opinion polls.

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
Liberals made a rod for their back when they dumped Turnbull. They have to take Abbott to the next election now. The only other real alternative is Hockey. Hockey would be a better leader than Abbott, but I believe he is clever enough with his ambitions that he will only accept the leadership position when he judges he has the full support of the party and a winnable election ahead of him.

I too would support a Turnbull lead Liberal party, but what's peoples opinions of this happening in the next 10 years? Abbott woul have to make a monumental stuff up for the Liberals to consider installing a new leader.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
If you ask a yes or no question don't get snarky when that is the answer you get.

Is that how you expect people to treat you when discussing something?

But that is ok, you go ahead and just see one side of it and blindly stick up for your mate. I'm pretty sure he is tough enough to not need it though.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Calm down Scotty.
I think Lindommer stated his position a bit higher up, which seemed pretty clear.
Your posts did invite the option of a short answer.
Maybe he didn't feel the need to add anything, I don't know. Not worth getting worked up over.

Status
Not open for further replies.