• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

July Internationals 2023 - matches not involving Australia

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Borthwick won't but I've said it time and time again, they need to start Smith @ 10. They look so much better with him.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Eggchasers made the comment that they've got the cattle in the squad but the game plan is poor. Can't say I disagree with that, their attack is diabolical at the moment.

Kevin77

Fred Wood (13)
Ireland v England was a strange one. Very much had a first game of the season feel to it, particularly the first half.
Ireland were uncharacteristically poor in the lineout/maul following but my understanding is that can be tidied up and they've been working on other stuff.

Good to try Prendergast out at 8.
Shame Sheehan got injured. Hopefully not too bad and fully fit for World Cup cos he's destined to light up the World Cup.
Ireland did just enough in a first game against a strangely limited England.

Not really sure what's going on with England. As someone else pointed out they have the cattle. Feels a bit like the Wallabies right now where there are good players not in that team for various reasons - Currie, Farrell, Slade for example and their game plan just seems to stink a bit.
They've been at their best when their power players (Itoje, Tuilagi, Lawes, Vuniploa) have been firing but just don't seem to have it anymore there.
Plus they're going to the kicking game and it's just not being executed well. Hard to see them turn it around in such a short period of time but they draw certainly gives them every chance at the World Cup.

Ireland just have to get through a bruising encounter with Samoa this weekend in Bayonne and should be in fairly good nick for Romania and the bigger tests to come.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Pollard reported running at full pace and taking full contact in training.

Great news as it is plain to see that Libbok has great potential but he is not ready.

Kevin77

Fred Wood (13)
Pollard reported running at full pace and taking full contact in training.

Great news as it is plain to see that Libbok has great potential but he is not ready.
Feels like this is the difference between the Boks being contenders or not

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
I'm just curious as to how the Saffers will engineer getting Pollard into the squad

FatTony.png

"My friend, are you feeling a slight pain in your leg?"
"No."

"Perhaps I could politely request you to reconsider your answer....."

molman

Peter Johnson (47)
Ireland v England was a strange one. Very much had a first game of the season feel to it, particularly the first half.
Ireland were uncharacteristically poor in the lineout/maul following but my understanding is that can be tidied up and they've been working on other stuff.

Good to try Prendergast out at 8.
Shame Sheehan got injured. Hopefully not too bad and fully fit for World Cup cos he's destined to light up the World Cup.
Ireland did just enough in a first game against a strangely limited England.

Not really sure what's going on with England. As someone else pointed out they have the cattle. Feels a bit like the Wallabies right now where there are good players not in that team for various reasons - Currie, Farrell, Slade for example and their game plan just seems to stink a bit.
They've been at their best when their power players (Itoje, Tuilagi, Lawes, Vuniploa) have been firing but just don't seem to have it anymore there.
Plus they're going to the kicking game and it's just not being executed well. Hard to see them turn it around in such a short period of time but they draw certainly gives them every chance at the World Cup.

Ireland just have to get through a bruising encounter with Samoa this weekend in Bayonne and should be in fairly good nick for Romania and the bigger tests to come.

Fair summary.

England looked better than their earlier affairs against Wales and for about 50mins they were in striking range, but then Ireland really weren't as clinical as they can be (that lineout was a mess). Ford converts his kicks and it might have been closer. I'm not sure they're in the same place as the Wallabies though. Feels like different issues. There is something culturally off with this team. They feel like less than the parts and the errors and penalties are concerning. I'm not sure I see Borthwick turning this around, there are just too many examples of these players turning in disappointing performances now. Like the Wallabies, the RWC draw will help them, but from what we've seen, the top teams wont be worried.