• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Karmichael Hunt Stuff

Status
Not open for further replies.

emuarse

Desmond Connor (43)
Anyway, no conviction recorded despite the pleas

Much different to George Smith or Higgers last year?
This is not so much "handbags at 20 paces stuff" (public antagonism to his legal findings), but tiddly winks at 100 paces.
In other words, lets move on.

T

TOCC

They don't seem at all related.

Of course they are, if Thorn deemed Quade to just have poor technique then he would have just told him that he wasn’t going to be the preferred 10 but would have remained in the wider squad, the very fact that Quade was told not to train with the squad indicates that Thorn thought their were cultural issues or influence factors he was concerned about by retaining Quade in the squad.

Karmichael, and his behavioural issues fall within this same cultural and Influence sphere.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Of course they are, if Thorn deemed Quade to just have poor technique then he would have just told him that he wasn’t going to be the preferred 10 but would have remained in the wider squad, the very fact that Quade was told not to train with the squad indicates that Thorn thought their were cultural issues or influence factors he was concerned about by retaining Quade in the squad.

Karmichael, and his behavioural issues fall within this same cultural and Influence sphere.

It's all guesswork.

My guess is that the Quade scenario was a positive influence on the coaching side of things, but Brad wants to be Brad and doesn't want another big cat in town. The influence issue with Hunt is to the player group, and Brad may think he will control it.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Well KHunt had charges thrown out. Tablet for anxiety...hmm...and the not turning up to police station to get fingerprinted (well the latter I can understand as excuse given that prisoner in his home because of the media).

I personally am ok with whatever is decided. Probably sway giving him a final warning given cocaine charges thrown out with no room for any further digressions. But equally if Reds and ARU decide they have had enough and tear up his contract then equally will support them with their decision.

Strewthcobber

Andrew Slack (58)
Been reading through reports of this case as well as Hunt's mate's Atalta owner Simon Michael Bou-Samra). If they're true Bou-Samara's case will almost certainly get dismissed on Wednesday as well. The alleged text (if true) wasn't from the night of the incident, and at least appears very innocent.

So we have a group of friends walking down the street having a drunken wrestle. Police find a bag of coke nearby, but no real idea who it belongs too. Hunt is arrested because of who he is, not what he's done (this time).

Certainly could be one way to read the case. If so, I'm pretty sympathetic

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Been reading through reports of this case as well as Hunt's mate's Atalta owner Simon Michael Bou-Samra). If they're true Bou-Samara's case will almost certainly get dismissed on Wednesday as well. The alleged text (if true) wasn't from the night of the incident, and at least appears very innocent.

So we have a group of friends walking down the street having a drunken wrestle. Police find a bag of coke nearby, but no real idea who it belongs too. Hunt is arrested because of who he is, not what he's done (this time).

Amazing. Last time I was in the Valley, it was hard enough to find a cab, let alone random bags of coke. I guess you gotta know where to look. For the cabs. ;)

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Such bad luck too............ twice in nearly as many years?

I’ve been stumbling through the streets of many cities and have yet to trip over a line.........

Ignoto

Greg Davis (50)

Sure, that's one way to read the case if you're reading it with your fingers in your ears and head in the sand ;)

BUT with Australia being one of the most expensive or the most expensive places for Cocaine (depending if you believe the journos at SMH or HuffingtonPost), what's the chances that someone just happened to throw a few thousand away at the very spot this wrestle was going on?

Occam's Razor suggests that the simplest explanation is the correct one and I'd dare say Hunt has gotten off pretty bloody lucky if you follow that principle.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Does the valley resemble the gameplay from Grand Theft Auto where money, drugs and weapons are just randomly scattered throughout the streets?

redstragic

Alan Cameron (40)
Does the valley resemble the gameplay from Grand Theft Auto where money, drugs and weapons are just randomly scattered throughout the streets?

I would have said not but apparently it is so, I was getting pissed in the Valley a few weeks ago, I never tripped over a bag of coke. But then I wasn't having wrestle with anyone. That might have been where I went wrong.

Marto wrote him off this morning on the radio saying that Aussie teams are steering clear of him. He pointed to setting team culture as being key in the decision.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
All reports in media saying Reds and RA want to distant themselves from Hunt but quandary that smoking gun of cocaine charges dropped make slightly more problematic (but not impossible) to exit him.

Sounds like hunt is gone - only to be redeemed by a massive pay increase by going to French rugby - sad state of affairs.

If they choose to keep him (which seems doubtful) surely it must be done so on proviso he gets some (drug) counselling (drug in brackets as they can choose to say he gets counciling to address personal issues for his supposed anxiety!!!).

So disappointed as I love seeing high profile ex league players do well in our code as league has some great athletes who are well suited to our game....and would love to see more successes like Israel and less controversies like Hunt, Sailor and Tuquiri off the field.

As there is a war on talent league wins more often than union and I actually disagree with many on these threads that poaching high profile league players can be bad investment of dollars give star power they offer that can help our code...Folau and more recently koribete as case in point. As if you asked gen y who is their favour wallaby it is Folau based on recent survey done.

Reactions: TSR
T

TOCC

Report in the Australia suggest Rugby Australia Integrity Unit won’t be investigating Karmichael any further, which ultimately means no reason for dismissal.

So he may be allowed to return to training by next week, the decision will then be whether Brad Thorn sees him as part of the Reds plans for 2018 or he may simply go down to club training with Quade.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Report in the Australia suggest Rugby Australia Integrity Unit won’t be investigating Karmichael any further, which ultimately means no reason for dismissal.

So he may be allowed to return to training by next week, the decision will then be whether Brad Thorn sees him as part of the Reds plans for 2018 or he may simply go down to club training with Quade.

Seems like he'd fit the mould for Thorn on the field. He'll be back in red soon enough.

Strewthcobber

Andrew Slack (58)
But it emerged yesterday that Rugby Australia almost certainly will not be holding a such hearing. A spokesman said RA was still looking at the evidence but, if anything, any “new” evidence that has come to light looks increasingly favourable to Hunt
It is understood police body cameras show no signs of Hunt doing anything wrong or unlawful. So, while the possibility of a code of conduct hearing will probably be teased out for a few more days, the reality is that there is almost zero chance of it ever taking place.
Quote from the oz article today

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
This seems like a smart move from Rugby Australia (in situation where there aren't really good outcomes to be had from any choice). If there is little prospect that the outcome will go against Hunt there is not really any point going through the continued negative media from keeping the story alive.

The Reds will make a decision whether they select Hunt again and RA and the Wallabies can just not select him in a Wallaby squad again and not offer him another contract.

Status
Not open for further replies.