• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Karmichael Hunt Stuff

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

TOCC

They could just simply hair test him...

I would be satisfied that if that test came back negative, and whilst not a fool proof outcome depending on quantity and frequency of use, it would at least demonstrate to me that they are treating the issue with attention it deserves.

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
It's a compromise between catching people cheating on PEDs, catching illicit drug use and cost.

Catching PED cheats is very important in my view and should be the overarching aim of any drug testing program.

Illicit drug use is more of a social issue and in my opinion is something sports want as little involvement with as possible. Illicit drug use is profilic, especially amongst people with high disposable income. It's a can of worms no sport really wants to open too far.

Cost is a huge factor. If you wanted to really try and stop sportspeople from using illicit drugs such that you wanted to make it very likely that you would catch someone you'd probably need to randomly test 25% or more of a team every week so that players knew they were going to be drug tested at least once a month. Even that figure might not be high enough. You'd be looking at a cost per team of close to half a million dollars a season to do that and it probably still wouldn't be enough testing to stamp out the behaviour.

If you really wanted to implement a testing regime that was likely to capture the vast majority of illicit drug use you'd probably be looking at well over $1m per team in annual costs.

oddly enough I am not as phased by PED's as I am illicit drugs.

There is always a point made by sporting organisations that the players are role models (nobody asks them to be) to our kids this is why they dont want the game brought into disrepute.

If this is true then is it because we fear our children will use Cocaine because a player uses it?

This seems more likely that a child deciding to use Anabolic steroids so I am more concerned about illicit drug use.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I would guess your child (anyone's child) is hundreds of times more likely to use cocaine and/or other illicit drugs at some point in their life than anabolic steroids.

Illicit drug use is widespread and sportspeople are no different. I don't think there is any sport who is going to take it on as their personal mission to try and stamp out what is an across the board social issue which will come at great cost to their sport.

Do you think the sport that introduces massive illicit drug testing and catches large swathes of players ends up getting looked at favourably by society? I think more likely people would consider that sport full of illicit drug users (even if it is no different to any other sport), sponsors will walk away and ultimately interest in that sport will drop.

I think it would be financial suicide for a sport to seriously launch an anti illicit drugs stance in an environment where no other sport is doing the same.

jimmydubs

Dave Cowper (27)
I would think it comes down to contract wording. If it says they have the right to tear it up if “found guilty” of drug related offence then he gets the boot. If it says conviction he stays.

They shouldn’t be paying him out.

If the wording is around some guilt around some aru investigation that’s fine for “shirts on planes” type issues but any clause around criminal misconduct should be very clearly written in given the previous occurrence.

Rugrat

Darby Loudon (17)
Has there been any announcement from the QRU or Aru on Hunt after coke charges dropped? Anything at all?

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Is Karmichael Hunt the Matt Lodge of rugby union..

No Matt Lodge is a violent yob with what he has done - I don't think KH deserves any comparison here. Assume KH gonski as heard nothing and they are just shopping him around French rugby to get him a home before the official announcement.

T

TOCC

No Matt Lodge is a violent yob with what he has done - I don't think KH deserves any comparison here. Assume KH gonski as heard nothing and they are just shopping him around French rugby to get him a home before the official announcement.

No, it was metaphorically speaking...

Rather to compare the differences in the two issues and how one has been welcomed back into the fold yet the other hasn't.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
No, it was metaphorically speaking.

Rather to compare the differences in the two issues and how one has been welcomed back into the fold yet the other hasn't.
Three years and a different club later.......

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

T

TOCC

Three years and a different club later...

he was also found guilty and yet to pay compensation to the victims.

If RA have made a decision on Karmichael then they should announce it, would have been the perfect week to do so considering all the attention on this sort of issue is directed elsewhere.. If they haven't made a decision, then they need to pull their finger out and make one.

T

TOCC

long story short, Karmichael won't be sacked, and he may be paid to sit on the sidelines besides Quade

Wallabies and Queensland back Karmichael Hunt is understood to have been offered a penalty by Rugby Australia for bringing the game into disrepute which he must accept or face a Code of Conduct hearing. But, either way, it will be possible for him to play rugby in Australia this year.
Yet just because it will be possible for him to play doesn’t mean he actually will. The Queensland Rugby Union still is understood to be anxious to move him on to either Europe or Japan. And if Hunt digs in and decides to remain with the Reds, then the issue becomes one of whether he will be picked.All indications are that the Reds feel so strongly that he has let the organisation down — after being given a second chance after pleading guilty in court to four counts of possessing cocaine in March 2015 — that they would be prepared to pay him not to play.

Hunt has voluntarily stood himself down from any rugby-related activity since he was arrested on December 30 last year......

https://www.theaustralian.com.au/sp...y/news-story/88980a406e9663069fac9817e5c836f9

half

Alan Cameron (40)
If Hunt is dump enough to sit on the sidelines The Reds are smart enough to pay him to sit on the sidelines.

T

TOCC

Final verdict from the ARU, Karmichael fined $10k and banned for four games(backdated).

To put it into perspective, Karmichael has earned in vicinity of $200k from the ARU/QRU since his indiscretion in December, and he is now been fined just $10k and welcomed back to work on Monday, thats the equivalent of 5 days earnings for Karmichael.

If thats the punishment then so be it, but it is weak as piss if you ask me. Enjoy playing in the Premier Grade Karmichael, I hope the QRU make you play every single game possible, you can now earn your money raising the profile of whatever QPR club accommodates you.

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
Weak as piss response by RA,

To put it into perspective, Karmichael has earned in vicinity of $200k from the ARU/QRU since his indiscretion in December, and he is now been fined just $10k and welcomed back to work on Monday, thats the equivalent of 5 days earnings for Karmichael.

Punishment does fit the crime though TOCC

When the cocaine charge was dropped he basically had to answer for a illegal possession of XANAX and being in the company of a known knucklehead.

T

TOCC

Punishment does fit the crime though TOCC

When the cocaine charge was dropped he basically had to answer for a illegal possession of XANAX and being in the company of a known knucklehead.

If it were his first time been associated with drugs then I would agree, but it isn't, so i'm sorry but I think he has gotten off incredibly easy.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Is it more a case that RA (and probably the Reds) don't want to pay him out and are hoping he seeks a release to go and play some rugby somewhere rather than join Quade in club rugby?

I think the challenge for all parties is if they sack him they might be up for hundreds of thousands of dollars.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Agree that the penalty is pisspoor but that in itself doesn't surprise me.

The interesting thing will be Thorn's response.

Does he rub the bloke out like QC (Quade Cooper) (and probably the same reasons) or say Fuck It I'll play him (because he's been cleared to play) and dump either Toua or CFS (who both have been playing extremely well).

Personally I'll be surprised if BT plays the bloke (unless a major injury occurs to one of CFS or Toua.

Interesting times ahead.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
Four games and $10k seems a very steep penalty for a "low level" code of conduct breach.

T

TOCC

Scenario I think which is most likely to play out is that Brad will send Karmichael to play Premier Grade regardless of whether he wants him or not. They're in South Africa this weekend and have a bye next weekend, Brad has no great urgency to welcome him back into the squad between now and then.

Following the bye, Izaia Perese is scheduled to return from injury adding further depth to the outside backs, so again no great need to rush Karmichael back into the squad. I think Brad will force Karmichael to play a few weeks in Premier Grade at the very minimum before considering him for a return to the Reds training squad.

Its a shame, that the Reds first period of 'positive news' for many years is now shadowed again with the fallout of Karmichael's selfish actions.

Status
Not open for further replies.