• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Kurtley Beale

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Been a while since any controversy in Mungoball.

Perhaps the more one eyed unbalanced and rabid of their fan club in the media see this as a chance for schadenfreude, and to run down the point of difference that rugby has over their piddly little domestic game.

aeneas

Tom Lawton (22)
What upsets me about it all is how openly so many in the media are calling for blood today.

From what Rececca Wilson said, it is mess started by a juvenile joke gone bad. It got into the public domain and has spun out of control.

How many are getting backed into a corner here by a rabid media?

This. Seems like this is out of control for no reason.

ARU needs to be leading not reacting.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
What upsets me about it all is how openly so many in the media are calling for blood today.

From what Rececca Wilson said, it is mess started by a juvenile joke gone bad. It got into the public domain and has spun out of control.

How many are getting backed into a corner here by a rabid media?
It was a juvenile joke,but one that will get most people the sack in most companies today.Most companies have a zero tolerance policy for sexual harassment or cyber bullying.This is both.
This is not 1980 where you can wink at the receptionist and ask her for a quickie at lunchtime as a joke.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
The main reason to quit is because that role is no longer an option for the obvious reasons. And if there aren't any similar roles available at the ARU, then she leaves, simple.

Bloody unfortunate for her, no doubt. But if the job isn't worth fighting for, then you make your way elsewhere.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Michael Jeh runs life skills workshops for a number of sporting organisations around the country, including the ARU. His work with the ARU targets the young and talented players in the National Gold Squad and Junior Gold Cup Squads delivering a programme called A Few Good Men.
http://www.rugby.com.au/tryrugby/News/NewsArticle/tabid/1760/ArticleID/9296/Default.aspx
A Few Good Men is a project that aims to get men and boys to take complete ownership of the way we treat women in our society. It is a shocking and inconvenient truth that 1 in 3 women worldwide have been physically or sexually assaulted. Just stop and think about that; 1 in 3 women. Our mothers, sisters, daughters, wives and friends. These are the women we’re talking about. They’re not strangers, they’re not alien beings. They’re our most precious partners in life.
A Few Good Men challenges us to handle the truth. The sad truth is that most of these acts of violence against women are committed by men. For example, less than 1% of rapes are committed by females.

Given the investment that ARU have made in educating the future leaders of the game, particularly with respect to their treatment of women, I would be very surprised if the book wasn't thrown at KB (Kurtley Beale) over this incredibly juvenile and naive act if the Code of Conduct Inquiry findings are against him.
The previous life skills packages that Michael Jeh delivered to the NGS and JGS drew heavily on real life examples of inappropriate decision making by professional rugby players. You don't need the brains of an Archbishop to know which four players gave him the most material for the case studies of inappropriate decision making and poor behaviour.
For all the crap that is rightly dumped on ARU, there are some good folk involved in running our game, and setting the agenda for the future.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
We need to ask why it was allowed to spiral out of control when it didn't have to..if it was merely to mount a bigger case against Beale it was unnecessary..he was effectively on probation so they could have simply used the T-shirt incident to suggest further counselling, rehab etc and suspend him from gold, send him off O/S to sort his shit a la JOC (James O'Connor) etc..

So that leaves as the more likely reason that it's designed as a media distraction away from something bigger going on behind the scenes at the ARU, whether it's to do with players, Link, staff, or even financial reasons..or a combination of one or more of those..

But it's backfiring because the media are seeing through that and searching for the scoop..

Thinker

Darby Loudon (17)
Link has a track record of finding "good people" as he says and keeping them around.

Matt Lieske was a work experience kid at the Reds, impressed so much much he was given a job which if he had to apply for would never have gotten. He's been an integral part of the Reds set up ever since and the Wobs since Link took over.

No claims of improper relationships there.

As for Fairfax, it's probably just individuals pushing their own agenda irrespective of fact (much like Dwyer does here). No one here needs to stoop to suggesting relationships between the previous coach and the gang at Fairfax.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Now, that surely rings a bell. It is precisely the manner in which PM advisers and support staff keep their masters/mistresses in the dark so they can't be tarred with any responsibility brush when the shit hits the fan. What's to say something similar didn't happen here?

Quite possible.

Colin Windon

Herbert Moran (7)
Does any one for a minute think that some of the stuff firing around this forum might serve to fan the flames. I know it is a forum but "A mate of mine who never lies told me" teeing off about personal matters isn't great form.

I think the mods did the right thing cleaning up the posts but if some one was "mischief making" this would be a good place to start some rumours and launch them in to the media sphere.

My old man always said "measure twice cut once." Maybe "type twice and post once" could be a good catch phrase.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
2. I feel really sorry for her.She was employed in a back office role

And perhaps if this is where she stayed, things would never have reached this point. Clearly she seems quite capable in the Business Manager role, but the skill set and man management skills required as a team manager in charge of team discipline etc are completely different. Probably not her fault that she was given the role. Lessons to be learnt here for the ARU - hope they are receiving the message.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Bullshit

I thought Link was the coach
Correct. And in the context of a professional sporting team, the coach is in charge of the whole operation. That enormity of the role is why he has numerous support staff to which he delegates certain functions, but he bears rsponsiblity for the whole operation.

So you seem to be saying that he creates the structure, he appoints the personnel, but he bears no responsibility for anything beyond what happens on the field?

With respect, you misunderstand the role of the head coach in a professional sporting set up.

Status
Not open for further replies.