• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Lions Tour 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
That's probably true, Roberts hasn't done anything since the WC/GS.

Farrell is really pressuring Sexton. His goal kicking and defence are superb. The Lions pack is looking formidable but the Wallabies won't be worried about the backs at all. I suppose that's always how it was going to be.

KevinO

Geoff Shaw (53)
That's probably true, Roberts hasn't done anything since the WC/GS.

Farrell is really pressuring Sexton. His goal kicking and defence are superb. The Lions pack is looking formidable but the Wallabies won't be worried about the backs at all. I suppose that's always how it was going to be.
Farrell has to be slightly ahead of Sexton at this stage, will be interesting as they will both tour. Lions pack is hard to choose, think Best played well again last night when most of the forwards played well below par. Heaslip did himself no favors with a very poor game. Sean O'Brien has to be a chance though.

GunnerDownUnder

Jim Clark (26)
The touring squad of 35 will most likely be split as 19 forwards and 16 backs.
3 hookers Best, Youngs
3 tight head Cole
3 loose head Marler, Healy
4 locks Gray, Launchbury
6 back rows Robshaw, Heaslip, O'Brien

3 scrum halfs Philips, Youngs
3 fly halfs Sexton Farrell
5 centres BOD, Tuilagi, Roberts
5 wing / full back Halfpenny, Kearney, North, Cuthbert

So some players will get selected due to the fact they can cover positions.
A long way to go till the tour starts but a few already guaranteed places as above, a few more Scots could get in if the Italy game can prove not to be a one-off. Grant and Murry as Props, Harley and Brown in back row (due to diversity in playing positions), again diversity means Laidlaw might be in with a slight chance as with Scott and Visser. Would like to think Hogg has a really good chance but a lot of good back three players to fit in to 5 spots.

JSRF10

Dick Tooth (41)
Farrell has to be slightly ahead of Sexton at this stage, will be interesting as they will both tour. Lions pack is hard to choose, think Best played well again last night when most of the forwards played well below par. Heaslip did himself no favors with a very poor game. Sean O'Brien has to be a chance though.

I think Farrell edges it on goal kicking and their tactical kicking is of similar standard but Sexton is ahead on every other facet of the game. However England play to Farrells strengths and hide his weaknesses by playing a distributing 12 and a fly half at 15. Irelands game plan isn't set up to play to anyones strengths except probably the oppositions defensive strategy.

JSRF10

Dick Tooth (41)
The touring squad of 35 will most likely be split as 19 forwards and 16 backs.
3 hookers Best, Youngs
3 tight head Cole
3 loose head Marler, Healy
4 locks Gray, Launchbury
6 back rows Robshaw, Heaslip, O'Brien

3 scrum halfs Philips, Youngs
3 fly halfs Sexton Farrell
5 centres BOD, Tuilagi, Roberts
5 wing / full back Halfpenny, Kearney, North, Cuthbert

So some players will get selected due to the fact they can cover positions.
A long way to go till the tour starts but a few already guaranteed places as above, a few more Scots could get in if the Italy game can prove not to be a one-off. Grant and Murry as Props, Harley and Brown in back row (due to diversity in playing positions), again diversity means Laidlaw might be in with a slight chance as with Scott and Visser. Would like to think Hogg has a really good chance but a lot of good back three players to fit in to 5 spots.

I would say they will only bring 5 props, although the lack of someone who can cover both sides may make 6 props necessary.

Wouldn't have Grey, Cuthbert, Roberts or Heaslip there as certainties yet. The move to Sale has set Grey back a lot and hasn't shown anything near last seasons form for me. Cuthbert can't defend and although he picks the odd good line in attack there are several better wingers than him, two of whom are playing for Scotland incidentally. Roberts has been poor as well for Wales and Cardiff this season, admittedly injuries haven't helped. Heaslip will be set back by a shocking display on Sunday and that no 8 is a competitive area, although I do expect him to tour as I think Gatland will want as many players as possible with Lions experience tipping a 50/50 call in JH's favour.

GunnerDownUnder

Jim Clark (26)
Grey is playing for a poor team at Sale, but still think he will go (and sign for a Top 14 team very soon).
Roberts will go no matter how poor his 6 nations and club form are, ditto Cuthbert.
Can't see Maitland getting a go unless he storms the rest of the 6N and Glasgow keep up their excellent form.
I agree Gatland will have to pick a few out of form players due to experience but he will also pick Welsh players that most other may not.

JSRF10

Dick Tooth (41)
Grey has looked sensational in the first 2 six nations games.

I think Gray just hasn’t hit the heights of last year, I think he has been ok so far, given the amount of competition for the Lions lock spots (Ryan, Parling, Jones, Evans, Launchbury, Hines) it’s unrealistic to say he is guaranteed his place.

Interestingly Wales are sticking with the same team for their game against Italy, injury permitting of course. Is this the final nail in the coffin for St Sams Lions hopes?

KevinO

Geoff Shaw (53)
I see no one is mentioning Hogg as a possible fullback. He's been impressive in the first two 6N's - maybe a bolter?
Have to agree, before the 6 Nations Scotland had maybe two players who you would consider a serious chance. I think Hogg is one of those guys now that has to be considered. Scotland need to keep some consistency for this to happen though, still 3 games to come and if they get hammered in two of them it will make selecting Scotish players a tough call.

Was great to see them finish a side off completely, been a while since I can remember a game where Scotland put a full 80 minute performance together like that.

Just hoping France can beat England or it's going to end up a all Pommy Lions team.

JSRF10

Dick Tooth (41)
Have to agree, before the 6 Nations Scotland had maybe two players who you would consider a serious chance. I think Hogg is one of those guys now that has to be considered. Scotland need to keep some consistency for this to happen though, still 3 games to come and if they get hammered in two of them it will make selecting Scotish players a tough call.

Was great to see them finish a side off completely, been a while since I can remember a game where Scotland put a full 80 minute performance together like that.

Just hoping France can beat England or it's going to end up a all Pommy Lions team.

Not so sure Wazza was in the press today saying an English dominated squad would be a tabloid frenzy as in NZ at the World Cup. This to me brings two thoughts immediately:

1 - The captain won't be English, i.e. step forward Mr O'Driscoll

2 - There will be a significant number of 50:50 (or worse) calls to going to Welsh players. For example some that may occur: AWJ/Launchbury, Wood/Faleteu, Phillips/Care, Cuthbert/Ashton although you'd argue that was probably always going to be the case

Craig Riddington

Sydney Middleton (9)

Even if England win the Grandslam, I can't see it being an all Pommy Lions team. For one, there is too much class around elsewhere and two, Gatland has already warned against it...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/21435112

although I find his comments a bit strange. It's like he is saying that they won't be picking too many England players because they are worried about people/media having a go at them. An absolute given, but I wouldn't have thought it was a good enough reason for not picking someone.

I think the Lions really need to see the Welsh boys find some form. There is so much talent in that team that just isn't producing the goods at the moment.

KevinO

Geoff Shaw (53)
Not sure whether this has been posted elsewhere, but I found it quite amusing.

(Hopefully it works..)
No Problem with the amount of fans for them, just a example. 3 Friends of mine went to the World Cup and than stayed in NZ on a working holiday visa for a year, now they have been in Aus for one year and all got their second year visa's and all planning on big Lions campaigns. How many Irish/English/Scottish and Walsh would have done the same thing to avoid going back to the GFC and lack of employment opportunities.

Craig Riddington

Sydney Middleton (9)
That's actually smart by him, he knows he's going to pick a lot of English players so he comes out and says he'll limit their numbers so when the squad is 50-60% English he can say he was planning on more.
Maybe he is making a smart move but a squad of 50-60% English would be way over the top. Even in my most one-eyed moments I can't get close to 17 England players out of a squad of 35! The England possibles for me are Marler, T Youngs, Launchbury, Lawes, Care, Goode & Ashton and my probables are Cole, Parling, Robshaw, Wood, B Youngs, Tuilagi & Farrell. Thats a very generous 14 all up. My gut feeling is that there will be nine England players that make the squad. Which for me means we should be taking all of my probables plus Youngs as a back-up hooker and one of the young locks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom