• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Lions Tour 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
Anyone else find it funny that Scotland will still be playing South Africa at the same time. Shows how much faith they have in getting players in the Lions. Right now only Richie Gray and maybe Euan Murray would make it.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
Anyone else find it funny that Scotland will still be playing South Africa at the same time. Shows how much faith they have in getting players in the Lions. Right now only Richie Gray and maybe Euan Murray would make it.

I think this is pretty common. Didn't Ireland tour North America last Lions Tour?

It's a great chance to develop your fringe players.

Bardon

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Normally it's the A team that's sent on tour during Lions year though so no senior caps are awarded. In 2009 it was the Scotland A, Ireland Wolfhounds and England Saxons that were sent to the US.

kronic

John Solomon (38)
Normally it's the A team that's sent on tour during Lions year though so no senior caps are awarded. In 2009 it was the Scotland A, Ireland Wolfhounds and England Saxons that were sent to the US.
Will be a long time before we see the senior sides tour the US & Canada.

Bardon

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Will be a long time before we see the senior sides tour the US & Canada.

Sorry should have clarified what I was saying a bit more.

There's certainly precedent for the home nations to tour places like US & Canada with fringe players during Lions tour years. Just not during the June window when the Lions tour happens. That's what is interesting to me about Scotland playing SA during the Lions tour.

Generally the teams that make up the Lions will tour in May (with possibly 1 game in early June depending on the availability of opponents) with their fringe team and then send an A side on tour in June. Alternately they do what England did and have the fringe players play home games rather than touring and send the A side on tour in June.

It's just very rare in modern times for home nations to tour during the Lions tour and certainly not against 1 of the big SH teams.

But I agree, as you said, it will be a long time before a full strength senior side tours either US or Canada.

kronic

John Solomon (38)
No dice from the ARU in regards to a group booking, they won't be doing them full stop. I'll explore another option.

Last resort for those who want to lead some sort of vocal/visual support etc. is to all organize to purchase in a particular area.

jermano

Ted Fahey (11)
Great to see the Rebels membership renewal has your Lions tickets in their some packages. are all Australian S15 teams doing this?

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Yeah I thought the ARU controls all Lions tickets, a Rebels membership only gives you pre public release access to purchasing tickets don't they?

Dam0

Dave Cowper (27)
9 games seems a bit short to me. It's a reality of modern life I guess but 11 or 12 would allow the tour to build a bit of momentum.

I also see that with the exception of a NSW Country side there aren't really any second grade teams for the midweek team to play. Its a shame that Australia doesn't really have a traditional equivalent of some second division NPC teams for them to play as a warm up. I am remembering events like Hawkes Bay beating the Lions midweek team in 1993 or Manuwatu getting a game in 2005. The Super XV teams should get games I guess but some more midweek stuff out in the wop wops might be fun too.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I don't have the email anymore, but I definitely read something on a recent Waratahs email about 2013 memberships including the Lions game.

Presumably there is an inbuilt fee in the best memberships for the Lions game and the ARU gets most of it.

kronic

John Solomon (38)
Your membership is linked to a MyRugbyID.

I've been told it's GA also for the Lions tour game, in the regular GA areas.

Status
Not open for further replies.