• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Lions Tour 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cardiffblue

Jim Lenehan (48)
B Youngs wasn't on long enough to be awful, however, Phillips was. Mowen had a field day. The combination of Murray and Sexton is a good point though.
The only hooker with a 100% line out record is T Youngs. He was also solid in the scrum, tackled well and carried well. He wouldn't have stood a chance of getting near the test team if any of the others had showed form. They haven't, he has and now he's taken his chance well.
Davies is in fine form. He just didn't quite click with BOD though. Maybe another week will improve things.
More worried about Corbs and POC - missing those two would be a disaster.
Had a look at Gwlad and even there they are thinking that Philips should be stood down. Not sure that will happen certainly in the forst half but I certainly think that Murray should be on early. We will certainly miss PoC if is true. He was truly awesome right down to that try saving penalty he gave away at the end. return of Bowe good news tho. Him for Cuthbert

Bardon

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Hope Phillips is benched at least. He needs a kick up the ass and a reminder that he's not a guaranteed starter. Would put Murray in simply because he's looked impressive on tour and Youngs wasn't very good when he came on.

Murray is prone to having the odd shocker of his own also, hope he can take his chance if he does get a start. Not an Irish bias on this one, just the reality that we need someone to play somewhere near the level Genia played the first test and will now doubt replicate or better in the remaining 2.

POC would be a huge loss if he's out. Don't have the quality of lock to replace him for the lineout or around the park. More importantly losing his leadership would be massive. He's the type of guy who makes everyone else in the team play that little bit better when he's on the field.

the plastic paddy

John Solomon (38)
While the Lions won their line outs nearly every one of them was under thrown or poorly timed. Not a criticism of Youngs who was excellent in the loose but the timing of the line out was poor at times and allowed the Aussies to challenge and disrupt the maul in particular. The Wallabies LO however was spot on with Moore's fast flat throw at the top of the jump/ lift unchallengeable. I would have said the Aussies shaded the set piece over the course of the game which was unexpected.

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
While the Lions won their line outs nearly every one of them was under thrown or poorly timed. Not a criticism of Youngs who was excellent in the loose but the timing of the line out was poor at times and allowed the Aussies to challenge and disrupt the maul in particular. The Wallabies LO however was spot on with Moore's fast flat throw at the top of the jump/ lift unchallengeable. I would have said the Aussies shaded the set piece over the course of the game which was unexpected.

I think the fact that 8 throws went to the front for the Lions was a pretty clear indication Gatland (or at least the line out caller) was still a bit shell-shocked from the Brumbies game.

JSRF10

Dick Tooth (41)
I think the fact that 8 throws went to the front for the Lions was a pretty clear indication Gatland (or at least the line out caller) was still a bit shell-shocked from the Brumbies game.

Probably the only sensible thing Gatland said after the game was that after all 3 hookers problems they played it safe with their strategy to ensure they kept the ball. Its all well and good taking that approach when you have dominance at the maul and big ball carriers in midfield, but given the Lions had neither this probably contributed to them looking toothless for most of the match. I won't expect any changes in this department however unless the Lions are losing in Sydney and are chasing the game

Craig Riddington

Sydney Middleton (9)
O'Connell definitely out for the series with a fractured right arm. I'm absolutely gutted for him. Its been one of the joys of the tour watching O'Connell play. Seriously hard and seriously good. It's stating the bleeding obvious but thats a massive blow to the Lions.
I was trying to remember when he was getting treatment on his arm? Whatever, the guy played the full 80 mins which means of course, he finished the game with a broken arm FFS.

Dai bando

Charlie Fox (21)
Yes paddy I realise that;) there is no like for like, any one of three then,
I know I am off topic but, wanted to go on to the James Horwill thread to apologise to every one lost it a bit yesterday, to many sherbets the night before, Case closed:oops:

Dai bando

Charlie Fox (21)
Think he'll go with the same team, cant see gray being in so parling or Evans, Evans is a very good lock but hasn't done anything this tour so Parling, I would drop Croft for SOB need a bit of dog in the next test, but cant see any changes,

ACR

Bob Davidson (42)
Yes paddy I realise that;) there is no like for like, any one of three then,
I know I am off topic but, wanted to go on to the James Horwill thread to apologise to every one lost it a bit yesterday, to many sherbets the night before, Case closed:oops:

I wouldn't apologise about that. Since when do players on the side of a maul lift their legs at that angle? It's no coincidence, Horwill did the EXACT same thing in Super Rugby this year. Nice normal mauling until someone is beneath him, all of a sudden he requires an extra foot of leg drive... Bah! No harm in calling it for what it is.

Shame about O'Connell, big loss. I'm still backing the Lions to get up in Melbourne though. Looking forward to it.

Wales Fan

Alfred Walker (16)
Parling removed from side for Rebels game, looking like he's the one to replace big Paulie. Great lineout exponent but a little underpowered at scrumtime.
O'Connell will be a huge, huge loss for the lions. Especially when added to the fact Corbisiero could miss the next test the lions scrum will be totally negated if Parling & Vunipola are starting.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2

the plastic paddy

John Solomon (38)
O'Connell definitely out for the series with a fractured right arm. I'm absolutely gutted for him. Its been one of the joys of the tour watching O'Connell play. Seriously hard and seriously good. It's stating the bleeding obvious but thats a massive blow to the Lions.
I was trying to remember when he was getting treatment on his arm? Whatever, the guy played the full 80 mins which means of course, he finished the game with a broken arm FFS.
Played ten minutes with a broken arm, some man for one man.

the plastic paddy

John Solomon (38)
Parling removed from side for Rebels game, looking like he's the one to replace big Paulie. Great lineout exponent but a little underpowered at scrumtime.
O'Connell will be a huge, huge loss for the lions. Especially when added to the fact Corbisiero could miss the next test the lions scrum will be totally negated if Parling & Vunipola are starting.

One injury from Court being in the Test squad. Don't get me wrong he is a good loose head but I would not have him on Ireland's bench.

Dai bando

Charlie Fox (21)

I know Vunipola has done well in the loose but, scrum time he's a non entity if he does come on you will need Hibbard in at hooker Youngs played well and doesn't deserve to be dropped, but he is a little on the small side, whereas hibs is a lump and a very good scumager.

Dai bando

Charlie Fox (21)
I wouldn't apologise about that. Since when do players on the side of a maul lift their legs at that angle? It's no coincidence, Horwill did the EXACT same thing in Super Rugby this year. Nice normal mauling until someone is beneath him, all of a sudden he requires an extra foot of leg drive. Bah! No harm in calling it for what it is.

Shame about O'Connell, big loss. I'm still backing the Lions to get up in Melbourne though. Looking forward to it.
He was guilty ACR, I just should have known better at least a dozen on the web site I visit said he would get off. someone once said the law is an ass, this only proves it.
Dai

the plastic paddy

John Solomon (38)
I don't really know him but, your quote has lifted me:rolleyes:
Strong enough scrummager but, like a lot of Ulster players his form hit a wall towards the end of the season, Rory Best is suffering from the same problem. I put this down to the emotional energy spent after the terrible tragedy that befell the Spence family. Tell you one thing about Tom Court, he is fucking brave and will not let anyone down for want of guts and effort. I also don't think the best has been seen of Grant this tour, he had an excellent season for Glasgow and Scotland, I suspect that he would perform considerably better with Hair Bear locking out the scrum rather than butter bean Stevens. The problem for the Lions is that Cole seems to have bought all the hype and forgotten that the first job of a tight head is to lock out the scrum, anything else is a bonus. I bet Gatland is kicking himself that on a tour with no Sunday games he didn't bring Euan Murray.

JSRF10

Dick Tooth (41)
I bet Gatland is kicking himself that on a tour with no Sunday games he didn't bring Euan Murray.

More like kicking himself he picked Graham "Gotta have Vicks" Rowntree as scrum coach. His influence got 5 of the weakest front row from the 6 nations when only 2 of them deserved it on form. I had concerns about Vunipola all tour and was proved right on Saturday, and the Lions are in serious trouble if they are relying on him for 60 minutes.

The Lions would have been much stronger with Murray, Grant, Ross and Paul James on tour than the English props they look, they mightn't have got flashy carries against the Force and Waratahs 2nd XV but they would have got locked scrums for 80 minutes in the tests.

Status
Not open for further replies.