• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Lions Tour 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

the plastic paddy

John Solomon (38)
I loathe Rowntree so his being involved with the Lions suited me well, I never suspected that his malign influence would lead to such a shambles on this tour as it did in SA.

Cardiffblue

Jim Lenehan (48)
C'mon. PoC is a loss but anyone reading this would think we lost the game on Saturday. If the Lions have problems Deans has worse. Forwards that failed to perform, a backline that failed to function due to injuries and having chosen Justin Bieber at outside half and no goal kicker. My biggest worry is this week's ref.

Dai bando

Charlie Fox (21)
Guess your right, also we know a little more about them now O,Connor at 10 helped us, Beal will be there next week different, he will send high balls to Folau all day, Roberts could be back so defence will be better and he'll bang through the middle a lot more than Davies, Bowe to the bench, just hope Corbisero is fit and the front row stay on longer than 50min, what we have in reserve is woeful in the scrum, mind there might be a ref who can call it right, have to do some work,

Cardiffblue

Jim Lenehan (48)
Joubert on saturday seemed to be acting in some kind of mentor role for Pollack. Sounded creepy. Even worse in the lght of the balls up Pollack made of the breakdown. does not bode well for Round two.

the plastic paddy

John Solomon (38)
Think the usually mildly insane Matt mad dog Dawson has finally reached the barking stage

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/23029495

Maybe he is mixing up with his brother. Pikey wasn't very good but Youngs was no better
I thought they were both excellent and should definitely be in the match day squad for the last two tests, actually it might be a good idea for them to get some match practice tomorrow against the rebels.

JSRF10

Dick Tooth (41)
Joubert on saturday seemed to be acting in some kind of mentor role for Pollack. Sounded creepy. Even worse in the lght of the balls up Pollack made of the breakdown. does not bode well for Round two.

Instead of moaning about the ref why don't you ask why Australia seemed to play him better? The Lions, and NH teams in general, need to learn how to play the referee instead of coming out with the same old excuses.

Also I checked match stats and St Sams beggar belief, zero turnovers, zero runs, zero line out takes. Confirmed what I thought at the time, you can't carry a guy because he has a supposed good rapport with referees, he didn't even do that well! SOB, Tipuric, Tuilagui and Bowe should come straight into the side but I think Gatland won't make any unforced changes

Craig Riddington

Sydney Middleton (9)
How do you play a ref differently who thinks a penalty advantage is 30 secs, 3 phases and no gain in territory? It gave us the opportunity to see a wonderful opportunistic try and showed Folau and Genia's brilliance. But it also denied the Lions a 3 pt return for a good start and left them 7pts down instead. How do you play a ref that awards a free-kick for an early engagement on one scrum, then ignores the early engagements at the next two scrums? No excuses for the first two penalties though - there's enough experience in that Lions team to figure out how a ref will manage the breakdown. Surely we know enough about Joubert by now to get it right on Saturday. As long as the ref is consistent on the day, you can't complain.

Cardiffblue

Jim Lenehan (48)
Bemusing statement. In what way did our forwards not perform?

-----------------------
I hate autocorrect .
The game plan seemed to be to beat the lions at the breakdown. Thanks to some benign reffing, this they did. However, there was then no support ofr outside backs who mostly just went sideways except for broken play when their support wasn't needed

JSRF10

Dick Tooth (41)
Craig, for Folaus try I'm pretty sure it was a knock on advantage, thats why it was a short one. IMO once you get clean ball at one ruck it should be called advantage over

Cardiffblue

Jim Lenehan (48)
Instead of moaning about the ref why don't you ask why Australia seemed to play him better? The Lions, and NH teams in general, need to learn how to play the referee instead of coming out with the same old excuses.

Also I checked match stats and St Sams beggar belief, zero turnovers, zero runs, zero line out takes. Confirmed what I thought at the time, you can't carry a guy because he has a supposed good rapport with referees, he didn't even do that well! SOB, Tipuric, Tuilagui and Bowe should come straight into the side but I think Gatland won't make any unforced changes
Good point but Not tips AND SoB and not Tuilagui -roberts if fit. think cementhead has already said as much as Bowe is in.

Craig Riddington

Sydney Middleton (9)
Craig, for Folaus try I'm pretty sure it was a knock on advantage, thats why it was a short one. IMO once you get clean ball at one ruck it should be called advantage over
Sorry to contradict you, but it was a long arm penalty for Diggers, Horwill, Robinson and Mowen all being offside. Pollack got that one right :)
If advantage = one clean ruck then I think you might find teams will either deliberately knock-on or kick the ball as soon as a penalty is given.

I think Bowe has to be in. He looked superb before his injury and I would have a lot more confidence in his defence than Cuthbert's. I think I would also be telling Zebo that he is a chance of making onto the bench. It's the last chance for a lot of guys to show that they are worthy of a test spot. A lot to play for against the Rebels.

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
The game plan seemed to be to beat the lions at the breakdown. Thanks to some benign reffing, this they did. However, there was then no support ofr outside backs who mostly just went sideways except for broken play when their support wasn't needed
Lions had 6 pilfers to 2 from the Wallabies.

The way Pollock refereed the breakdown pretty much set each team on an even keel. Nobody got away with much.

Cardiffblue

Jim Lenehan (48)
Lions had 6 pilfers to 2 from the Wallabies.

The way Pollock refereed the breakdown pretty much set each team on an even keel. Nobody got away with much.
There would have been more pilfering if he hadn't blown up for it. BoD in particular looked to be on the receiving end of some strange decisions. Wonder how Pollack refs richie McCaw? the advantage or lack of it that led to the first first try was a bit baffling too

JSRF10

Dick Tooth (41)
Sorry to contradict you, but it was a long arm penalty for Diggers, Horwill, Robinson and Mowen all being offside. Pollack got that one right :)
If advantage = one clean ruck then I think you might find teams will either deliberately knock-on or kick the ball as soon as a penalty is given.

I think Bowe has to be in. He looked superb before his injury and I would have a lot more confidence in his defence than Cuthbert's. I think I would also be telling Zebo that he is a chance of making onto the bench. It's the last chance for a lot of guys to show that they are worthy of a test spot. A lot to play for against the Rebels.

I meant a short advantage for a knock on, obviously a penalty advantage should be longer I think we've confused each other here!

Can't see anyone featuring against the Rebels playing in the tests, Manu, SOB and Lydiate aside. The evidence on this tour suggests Gatland had his test team picked a long time ago and only injuries changed it/will change it

Bardon

Peter Fenwicke (45)
I meant a short advantage for a knock on, obviously a penalty advantage should be longer I think we've confused each other here!

Can't see anyone featuring against the Rebels playing in the tests, Manu, SOB and Lydiate aside. The evidence on this tour suggests Gatland had his test team picked a long time ago and only injuries changed it/will change it

I agree. The selection for the Brumbies game gave a huge indication that Gatland viewed the final 2 midweeks games almost as an inconvenience.

There was no real feeling that the players were playing for places and those who were in with a possible shout weren't helped by the poor selections around them. Seems tonight's game is also one to survive rather than a genuine opportunity at a test spot. I think the best anyone starting tonight can hope for from this game is a possible spot on the bench

Had we lost the first test it might have been different, but I thiink from Gatland's talk in the press he has at least the starting team picked for Saturday while 1 or 2 spots on the bench might be close for some players.

That's no reason for the guys not to give their all tonight though, if we lose the 2nd test, playing well tonight might get some of these guys a starting spot in the decider.

mxyzptlk

Colin Windon (37)

There you go. Pollack reffed the June 8 Argentina-England game, and England came out well ahead in that encounter (32-3).

JSRF10

Dick Tooth (41)
Mick Cleary in the torygraph is talking up the chances of Joe Marler being called up, I joke you not!!!!!

The last thing the Lions need is another prop who can't scrummage!

It would be funny if Court somehow ended up saving the series for the Lions in the 3rd test with some good scrummaging just to shove all the abuse he has got back down the UK press corps throats.

Status
Not open for further replies.