• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Lions Tour 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

the plastic paddy

John Solomon (38)
By my calculation, if the £4million bonus is shared equitably among the four unions, the IRFU will make euro 1.81 million or aus dollar 2.57 million. Will the ARU make more or less than aus dollar 7.71 million out of this lions tour?

the plastic paddy

John Solomon (38)
Looks like Phillips is still there, him to start and Youngs on the bench hopefully. Hope Rowntree keeps picking his mate Vunipola although the scrum will be VERY, VERY, VERY different next week with Monsieur laissez faire L'Idiot Poite doing his best Inspector Clouceau impersonation. Hope Robinson and Alexander realise that almost anything goes at scrum time with that clown blowing the whistle. The Inaccuracy of the Lion's line out is really hurting them now and I don't think Horwill being banned will make a jot of difference. Haven't read any articles yet but I imagine the whinging in the British press will be heroic after the Aussie win.

Dai bando

Charlie Fox (21)
Now I'm relatively calm I can post, I thought the selections were wrong before the game after just confirms it Venupola Youngs Parling didn't quite do it their side of the scrum, no Super Rugby on the bench I thought a big big mistake, Parling brought in for his lineout prowess Umm I missed that, front ball is limited is it any wonder the Aussies pinched our ball near their line
I thought with lydiate on Warbs had a very good game and out played Hooper, when he went off hooper started to win ball. Heaslip makes yards as he should standing in midfield waiting for the ball to come to him, not his best game. Jonathan Davies and BOD is not working.
Again there seemed to be a lack of game plan Aussies adapted we didn't, cant see us winning the third test, about time gats went, thank god for Howely.

Bardon

Peter Fenwicke (45)
I think for the next one Corbs back in for Vunipola, Gray for Parling and a genuine 2nd row on the bench. Murray to start, Roberts in for Davies. I'd like to see SOB starting but I think Gats will go with the same backrow and maybe drop Croft from the 23.

Hooker is a real problem. Youngs is the most accurate in the lineout but the weakest scrummager. Best is the top scrummager but on current form the weakest in the lineout. Hibbard is a bit iffy in the Lineout but stronger than Youngs in the scrum. I'd go with either Hibbard or Best for their scrummaging and look to win at least 1 of the set piece battles.

Also I'd like to see some genuine options coming onto the bench in the backs. Maybe Kearney in as cover for Halfpenny. Halfpenny to the wing if they want to have both on the field.

It's really not a good situation when you look at the 8 replacements and there's only 1 or 2 you actually want to see come on. I think in the backs Gatland has been too safe with his replacement choices. As Farrell has to be there and he has to have cover for scrum half then the other sub needs to be someone who'll bring a bit of spark. I don't see Cuthbert as being that guy. For me he's the type that either starts or sits in the stand.

Bardon

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Also it looks like Warburton will probably be out for the final test, so Tipuric should finally get the test time he deserves this weekend.

Cardiffblue

Jim Lenehan (48)
Sam's injury should clear the way for SoB to start and tips on bench with Lydiate. think we all agree the selections were wrong for last test. Gray should've been picked in front of Parling. Also agree that hooker is a problem. I think Best is the way to go. On his day he is the most complete player the lions have at 2. The loosehead side of the scrum was the shambles we all predicted. Also I hope that Spikey Mickey is fit because although he wasn't up to full form in first test, Youngs wasnt able to match him. I think Foxy played well but I hope Jamie the Jaw is fit and would play him if he is.

Geting the backrow right is the key. Showed in the end how much work Warbs and Heaslip put in. Once they were off, the aussies were able to make 1 on 1 in the backline and score. Croft cant play gatlandball

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
After being very quiet for many matches, (Soap Dodgers 6N excluded) St Sam was back to his best before he went off injured last Saturday night.

If he could have carried that form, uninjured, into the decider we would have been in line for a beauty of a battle for the loose pill. Asdly, just when he is coming onto form, his body gives up.

I'd like to see Tipuric get plenty of game time on Saturday, as I think he can alter the breakdown dynamic in favour of the Lions.

JSRF10

Dick Tooth (41)
Warburton is out for 4 months with his injury, he'll be back in time to struggle through the November internationals.

Early signs from the media are that Tipuric will start with SOB and Croft on the bench again

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Warburton is out for 4 months with his injury, he'll be back in time to struggle through the November internationals.

It seems bizarre that after the game he's still hopeful of potentially playing next Saturday and following a scan he's out for four months.

Presumably he was being incredibly optimistic that he had suddenly developed a very weak pain threshold and forgotten how to walk and that it would all disappear the next day.

JSRF10

Dick Tooth (41)
It seems bizarre that after the game he's still hopeful of potentially playing next Saturday and following a scan he's out for four months.

Presumably he was being incredibly optimistic that he had suddenly developed a very weak pain threshold and forgotten how to walk and that it would all disappear the next day.

He has had quite a few similar injuries over the past couple of years as well, if I remember correctly, so he'd know a long term injury if it struck

If he keeps his injury rate up I don't think he'll be a top level player for too much longer, which would be a shame for him. I'd be surprised if he'd played more than 5 consecutive games since the World Cup

Bardon

Peter Fenwicke (45)

When it's the one of the biggest games you're likely to ever play in your mind can really do a number on you. Short of a break I think any players first reaction would be that they hope to be OK for the next game.

I'm sure no one wanted to break the bad news to him on Saturday night and they left until it became clear to Sam that there was no chance he'd play.

He's a great player and he'd just hit form. I hope that Wales give him November off and allow him to recover properly. No point in rushing him back and risking further injury. If that happens and he misses most of next season then he's only got 1 full season to go before the RWC.

Now is the true test of his captaincy. Like POC he'll have to put his personal disappointment aside and be a positive influence on the mood in the camp.

Status
Not open for further replies.